Choose style:

Author Topic: Installing from live usb (SOLVED)  (Read 388 times)

Offline maxy2

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 and 9
Installing from live usb (SOLVED)
« on: April 27, 2019, 10:27:56 pm »
This might seem a silly question. If I fully install PM8 or 9 from a live usb with persistence onto my HD -  will the personal data on the persistence part of the usb also be installed? ie will my browser and saved bookmarks etc  be retained on the new installation? I guess not but I would appreciate a definitive answer. Thanks
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 07:24:18 am by PCNetSpec »

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Installing from live usb
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 02:31:57 am »
I wouldn't do this, a plain install is better.
Technically its possible to keep everything as it is on your usb at the moment, but I have no clue what sort of problems it could bring in the future.
Just backup/copy what you want to keep onto another usb, do a normal install and copy back your files.
If you want your browser settings and bookmarks just copy the .mozilla folder also. Its an hidden folder on your home directory, just hit Ctrl+h to see all hiden folders.
This if you're using Firefox, I have no idea where the settings are for chromium or Chrome. I really dislike all chromium based browsers so I've never installed any of those  ;)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 03:50:58 pm by pin »

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 02:04:48 pm »
Hi maxy2, I know you mentioned in the past that you have installed Peppermint into a usb stick, if I understand your intentions correctly, you want to have a version of Peppermint all set up to your liking that you can install from a usb stick to any computer.  If that's what you are looking for, there are tutorials out there that describe how to do it. I know cloning doesn't always work out right, fstab entries don't always work on a different hard drive, especially if your choosing a partition to install on. Check google for how to create your own operating system. Good luck.
What was I thinking?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 04:40:50 pm »
No they won't .. if you use ANY live media for an installation ONLY the squashfs gets extracted to the HDD  .. changes do not.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 10:33:15 pm »
Hey maxy2, check out Cubic Ubuntu Builder.
What was I thinking?

Offline maxy2

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 07:39:59 am »
Thanks for the replies. It looks like I cannot carry over my bookmarks and browsing history etc whilst doing an install to my HD. Thanks for the suggestion - I am not sure a system like Cubic will allow the above - it seems to allow selection of software but maybe not personal data. Amongst my previous posts I was looking  mainly at custom partitioning but I think it was beyond me unfortunately and now will use dual installs. My use of persistence with Peppermint 8 and trial of non-persistence pm9 has been very useful and I am still happy with it. PM is very stable and over time, because I can use  persistence,  I can carry out basic tasks and see how this OS performs in everyday use. I have already dual installed PM on a small capacity notebook with good results.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 07:42:17 am by maxy2 »

Offline maxy2

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 07:49:48 am »
This is off topic but:

1   Can i create a password for a live ISO with persistence?   

2 When dual installing if I choose the encryption option does it encrypt just the PM install or the whole HD or SDD  it is installed on?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 11:09:27 am »
1) Not really .. it's an unwriteable compressed file system that's being loaded.

2) AFAIK just the Peppermint (and swap partitions) .. but unless this is a work computer where they insist on full disk encryption I'd seriously advise against it, you'd probably be much better off with just an encrypted folder.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline maxy2

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 08:04:48 pm »
Thanks for the replies to all. That has helped me plan future installs. 

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: Installing from live usb SOLVED
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 07:23:47 am »
You can copy off your web browser profile directory to an external drive .. then copy it to your home folder on the new machine, this will copy your bookmarks/history/passwords/etc.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec