Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 9 Respin 32 bit doesn't reboot after installing the latest updates  (Read 719 times)

Offline markandrews

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 respin 64 bit
Yesterday, 26th April 2019, I installed the latest updates for Peppermint 9 Respin 32 bit; when I rebooted the computer for the new kernel to take over the computer wouldn't boot up past the GRUB.
I reinstalled Pepp 9 Respin from a live disk which went fine, but when I ran the updates the new copy of the OS was corrupted again in the same way and wouldn't reboot.
Has anyone else had this happen following this set of updates, does the new kernel have a problem?

All the best,
Andrew.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Have you tried booting the previous kernel ?

And can you please give us the specs .. preferably the output from:
Code: [Select]
inxi -Fz
run from a LiveUSB if necessary.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Yesterday, 26th April 2019, I installed the latest updates for Peppermint 9 Respin 32 bit; when I rebooted the computer for the new kernel to take over the computer wouldn't boot up past the GRUB.
I reinstalled Pepp 9 Respin from a live disk which went fine, but when I ran the updates the new copy of the OS was corrupted again in the same way and wouldn't reboot.
Has anyone else had this happen following this set of updates, does the new kernel have a problem?

All the best,
Andrew.

Hi markandrews,

There is probably no need to reinstall the system, just boot the previous (older) kernel. It is highly improbable that the OS is corrupted. Rather, as you suggest, there might be a problem with the newest kernel for some (unfortunately your) hardware. This is why PCNetSpec wants more info about your hardware from the output of

Code: [Select]
inxi -Fz

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
When all else fails push shift key, just before grub comes up and I can concur, pick the older kernel. Once booted onto Desktop open a terminal Ctrl-Alt+T and type sudo apt autoremove, pop in your password. Sometimes grub keeps too many Kernel images, at most you should have two, so the autoremove command will list what Peppermint does not need anymore. Type y and it'll delete the oldest Kernel images. Then type in terminal sudo update-grub and once finished, reboot your computer and hopefully the new Kernel should boot you back into Pep. Also a spec list of your machine would help us too please?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 05:36:37 am by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline Pepper9

• Peppermint OS: Rest for the weary.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): peppermint 10 64bit
Sometimes grub keeps too many Kernel images, at most you should have two, so the autoremove command will list what Peppermint does not need anymore

Yup. That's why I always use Bleachbit (as root) after an update before I restart the computer. I know it's not considered cool or wise to use it (as many Linux users would agree upon) but I use it frequently and never had any problems because of using BB.

Remove all the old images and 'temporary files' on root level and then restart.  :)
If it ain't broke.........

Offline markandrews

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 respin 64 bit
Thank you everyone so much for all the great advice; I hit shift before the grub and have switched to the earlier kernel, the computers back up and running again  :) :) :) :) :)

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Thank you everyone so much for all the great advice; I hit shift before the grub and have switched to the earlier kernel, the computers back up and running again  :) :) :) :) :)

So glad you got it running, we are all here to help, now you can enjoy the world of Peppermint ;D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 03:52:22 am by clatterfordslim »

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile

Please mark your post as Solved, by adding Solved at the end of your message. So glad you got it running, we are all here to help. Just make sure you open your Terminal and type sudo apt autoremove to remove old Kernel images, then you won't have to keep going into grub to boot. Now you can enjoy the world of Peppermint ;D

He needs the older kernel, so he should not remove it!
Also, this is not really solved as I see it, as he will be stuck on a kernel that eventually will be EOL. With all vulnerabilities that it brings.

The solution? Move to an upstream LTS version of the kernel and manually update it when needed.
Linux kernel LTS, along with the EOL date, can be found here, https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

Alternatively, install a more recent kernel and see if the problem has been solved.

Obviously, this requires you to know where to get the kernels from, how to install them and how to remove them and keep a clean system at all times.
Personally, I do this every Monday, as I follow the upstream releases. Currently booting 5.1-rc7.

Let us know your choice.

EDIT: Its not that hard to change kernel. It takes me 10min every week and I can write down a "how to" if you want. Just don't know if the boss @PCNetSpec, wants such instructions arround here, as Its rather easy to get to an unbootable system.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 03:11:21 am by pin »

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
I forgot it's 32bit machine I run all 64bit, do apologise, at least he can get to his Peppermint now. ;D

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
True  8)

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Hi markandrews, do you remember if the update included a grub update where a separate window popped up asking if you wanted to keep the installed version of grub or allow the update to install the developer's new version? I normally select to keep the current version but yesterday I selected to install the developer's version just for kicks and guess what, no boot up with no errors or anything presented. And yes, I can boot into the prior kernel but I think it has to do with that grub update. I am going to investigate grub rescue to see if that will fix it.
What was I thinking?