Choose style:

Author Topic: Italian City Turin Opts For Ubuntu And Open Office To Save Millions*  (Read 1273 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 (64-bit)
http://itsfoss.com/italian-city-turin-open-source/

*Source:  Abhishek Prakash's Blog called: It's F.O.S.S.:  Open Source News, Tips And Tutorials

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;). -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin & 9 Alpha
Re: Italian City Turin Opts For Ubuntu And Open Office To Save Millions*
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 09:42:05 am »
OpenOffice  :-\

Decision taken by a windows user with little knowledge of either Ubuntu or current OSS office suite trends.

Heck, Ubuntu comes with LibreOffice .. why swap it out for OpenOffice ?

Sounds to me more like "well I've heard of OpenOffice, and have done ZERO homework here" .. I could be wrong, but I only ever hear OpenOffice mentioned these days by Windows users who tried OO a few years ago and still think it's the leading (or only) OSS office suite.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 09:50:45 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 10:20:39 am »
Yeah I thought that was a bit strange as well and I'm sure I read somewhere that Munich went with Open Office but I might be wrong about that, but what the hell it's still a big step forward for Linux and free/open source software in general

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 10:34:47 am »
Yeah I thought that was a bit strange as well and I'm sure I read somewhere that Munich went with Open Office........

They did and the plonker new mayor they have is trying to reverse it back to MS because of "perceived" compatibility issues.  The fact of the matter is, he is a well known MS fanboy and is willing to tax the good burgers of Munich to show his support.  A complete idiot  >:(!! 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 11:02:32 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin & 9 Alpha
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 10:48:09 am »
but what the hell it's still a big step forward for Linux and free/open source software in general

I agree, but like AndyInMokum just pointed out, it kinda proves to me the decision was taken by someone who doesn't have a clue .. and will probably result in a switch back that garners BAD press, and gives M$ more ammunition for their FUD machine.
(I can hear it already .. "look how much Linux cost Munich", "Windows would have save Munich Millions", "Linux fails in Munich experiment, costs tax payers Millions", "Microsoft works where Linux didn't", "Windows cavalry ride in to rescue Munich", yadda, yadda...." .. or the Sun's "Lubuntu Linux Left Limping", turn to page 3 for an expose" ;) )

If they're going to do it, I'd like to see it done PROPERLY by people who know what they're doing .. then it will stick, cause MUCH less hassle during the switch-over, and likely save MORE money in the long run .. I don't just want to see these things DONE, I want to see then SUCCEED.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:51:45 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 (64-bit)
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 01:08:38 pm »
And I thought this was good news!

And...

Another Italian City Says Goodbye To Microsoft Office, Will Switch To OpenOffice Soon by  Abhishek*

http://itsfoss.com/udine-open-source/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ItsFoss+%28Its+FOSS!+An+Open+Source+Blog%29

* Title and ideas are from Abhishek at It's F.O.S.S. -- Open Source News, Tips And Tutorials

http://itsfoss.com/

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 10:36:05 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;). -- AndyInMokum