Choose style:

Author Topic: Trying to assign F11 as a keyboard shortcut [SOLVED]  (Read 405 times)

Offline AK-Brando

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Trying to assign F11 as a keyboard shortcut [SOLVED]
« on: April 26, 2019, 04:47:57 pm »
I recently installed Peppermint 9 onto my aging Asus Eee PC 1005-PE netbook (1.6 Ghz Atom processor, 2GB Ram, Samsung 250GB SSD).  I have played with dual booting previous Peppermint distros and have enjoyed learning about Linux, however I finally re-formatted and got rid of Windoze 7 and just using Linux on this machine.  This is not my primary machine, just use it mostly to learn about Linux.

The problem I have run into is while attempting to set up a keyboard shortcut to change the volume.  I can assign F10 to mute/unmute, F12 to raise the volume, but I cannot assign F11 to lower the volume.  Every time I try, I get a "Invalid key" error.  I can set F9 to lower the volume just fine, but F11 refuses to be assigned as a keyboard shortcut.

The function key does work because I can use Alt-F11 to go to fullscreen mode.  The main reason I would like to use these particular function keys is because those are the keys that are the default hardware keys for changing volume and are marked as such on the keyboard.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Brian
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 10:02:30 pm by AK-Brando »

Online zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Re: Trying to assign F11 as a keyboard shortcut
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 05:22:17 pm »
Hi AK-Brando,

You might want to try this thread.

https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,4274.msg42629.html#msg42629

Please let us know if this works or not.

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadrippe 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 1 x 43" 1 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P10 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline AK-Brando

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 08:04:28 pm »
When I opened asound.conf, it already contained what the linked thread described.

What's really odd, is a lot of the Fn keys do work, like the brightness control and the Wi-Fi control.  Even the PgUp, PgDn, Home, & End keys work which are shared with the arrow keys on this netbook.

I don't recall exactly, but I think the volume control Fn keys were working in Peppermint 8 (or maybe 7, I can't remember which version I was running when I this set up to dual boot with Win 7.)

At this point, it's a minor annoyance, not a deal breaker for me.  I am wondering why the Keyboard Shortcuts in the Peppermint Control Center won't let me assign F11 to anything - it keeps giving me the same "Invalid key" error.

Offline AK-Brando

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 10:01:59 pm »
Well, I have not been able to get the hardware volume control keys (Fn + F10, F11, or F12) to work properly yet.  I have been able to assign a keyboard shortcut to <Shift> + F10, F11, & F12 to control the volume.  F10 is mute toggle, F11 is volume down, and F12 is volume up (with <Shift> modifier).

I did this by manually editing xbindkeys.config located in .config/peppermint-control-center  This seems to bypass the "Invalid key" error when trying to set the F11 key in the Keyboard Shortcuts gui in the Control Center.  I did have to make a change using the Peppermint Control Center for it to pick up the manual changes made in xbindkeys.config (I just reset the mute toggle to <Shift> + F10).

I will mark this [SOLVED] in case anybody else runs into something similar.

Thanks,

Brian