Choose style:

Author Topic: Brave Wants to Destroy the Ad Business by Paying You to Watch Ads  (Read 277 times)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Brave Wants to Destroy the Ad Business by Paying You to Watch Ads in Its Web Browser
By Catie Keck, Gizmodo, 23-April-2019

This ad-viewing option will be available to Brave desktop users on macOS, Windows, and Linux, the company said in a Wednesday announcement. For each ad viewed, Brave says its users will receive 70 percent of the revenue while the company will keep the change. The company reportedly saw about 40 percent of its beta users and developers opt-in to the program, according to TechCrunch, which isn’t bad!

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Brave Wants to Destroy the Ad Business by Paying You to Watch Ads
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 03:08:14 am »
I'd rather not watch the ads.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 06:18:47 am »
Wouldn't this amount to just swapping Google for the Brave devs as the web funding monopoly ?

Personally I like DDG's model, no tracking and ads only where you search (not following you around):-

How Does DuckDuckGo Make Money?

Most search engines make money by showing you advertisements related to the keywords you type in the search box. It is an acceptable approach except most search engines save the data about what you search.

DDG is different here: DDG makes sure it doesn’t save your IP, look at your cookie data or even remember who you are when you make consecutive searches. Basically, every time you use DDG, it is as if you are using the search engine for the first time.

So how do they give you targeted ads?

They don’t. They use keywords typed in to show advertisements (which are syndicated through Yahoo!). For example: If you search for ‘buy headphones online’, you will be shown headphones advertisements without peeping into your private data.

Simple concept, private, actually useful (not serving me ads for random things it picked up in a conversation elsewhere a week ago based on an algorithm that's attempting to build a snapshot of my likes and dislikes, just what I'm CURRENTLY searching for), and the way it should have been from the getgo.

Brave's model will also ultimately fail .. advertisers will quickly learn that the only people who are viewing their ads are those attempting to make money with no intention of buying.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 06:31:37 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 07:34:20 am »
Brave's model will also ultimately fail .. advertisers will quickly learn that the only people who are viewing their ads are those attempting to make money with no intention of buying.

That's true; I've already seen the model fail myself.   Boost Mobile offered to knock a dime off our mobile phone bills every time we watched an ad on one of its late apps(I think it was called Boost Dealz).  Well, Boost Mobile has to discontinue the project.  Though left unspoken, I'm certain it had been exploited to the point of failure.
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum