Choose style:

Author Topic: Lost HDMI output to second monitor  (Read 759 times)

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Lost HDMI output to second monitor
« on: April 24, 2019, 11:30:44 pm »
Hello Peppermint people. Has any one else experienced this or know what could be wrong to cause a working HDMI output to go from one day to the next and stop working? I bought a new graphics card thinking that was the problem and it wasn't. The card is a Nvidia Geforce GT 710. When it made no difference, I installed the proprietary driver and still no difference. I checked the cable by connecting the computer end to my laptop and that works so I know the cable and monitor aren't the problem. Could this be a motherboard problem and I should have bought a motherboard instead of a graphics card? Or could it be a PSU getting weak and not sending enough juice to the pcie slot?  HOLD THE PHONE. The card just kicked in as I was typing and now I have output with the HDMI port. Wow, weird stuff. Never mind.  ???
What was I thinking?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Lost HDMI output to second monitor
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 07:45:37 am »
Oddly, I'm actually holding my phone :)

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 08:51:15 am »
Oddly, I'm actually holding my phone :)

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

;D

Well, I still have problems. After downloading an os I am going to test, I tried to boot up into the usb memory and didn't get anything, like it never started. So I powered off and restarted the computer without the usb memory and it sat there for a minute just like it had before and then Peppermint popped up. So I tried again with the usb memory and it did the same, nothing. I may have to take it to the shop since I don't know how to trouble shoot what's going on with this thing. My wife has been after me to buy a new computer and quit messing with this old thing. I think I'll try changing the psu first.
What was I thinking?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 02:48:11 pm »
Say what ? .. testing another OS ? .. you gotta love karma right ? :P

( just kiddin :) )
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 04:24:43 pm »
You do know I'm looking for some help here. I think I figured out the graphics card problem, too much plastic protection on the cable end, but I'm still not getting a bios splash screen or grub menu. Are these indications of a mother board going out? I did change the PSU before I figured out the cable problem.
What was I thinking?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 04:32:41 pm »
No, I thought you'd already decided on a way forward.

Are you sure it's not just a case of the video card just taking some time to kick in .. so you're missisg the BIOS/GRUB screens ?

Try turning on your PC and hitting the space key to halt GRUB .. then wait .. does GRUB eventually come up ?

Have you tried another graphics card (maybe onboard) ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 09:24:36 pm »
Did you disable onboard graphics in BIOS?

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 10:28:51 pm »
if I hold the space key down for a second or two, I get the mobo spash screen and then the grub menu. If I boot into Peppermint I get this,

And then I get a emergency mode type logon screen like this,

I was trying to change the xorg conf file to remove what I had added earlier trying to remove screen tearing. So I'm not sure what to do with Peppermint right now. I can boot up into Ubuntu Mate 19.04, I'm in it now. I haven't enabled the proprietary driver in it and I don't have HDMI output here either. I don't know yet if I can boot into a usb memory stick. Maybe if I hold the space key and when the mobo splash screen comes up, pressing F11 will get me into the boot selection screen. I'll have to try it.

Did you disable onboard graphics in BIOS?

Hi VinDSL, no I didn't, I wasn't aware of it. I would probably have to go into each os I have installed and install the proprietary driver before I do that, shouldn't I? The previous card I had was not using the proprietary driver, so I have no experience with it.

I'm wondering why I have to hold the space key in order to get the splash and menu screens? Installing the proprietary driver in Peppermint shouldn't have affected the computer startup I don't think. I'm really starting to think it might be the mother board, we did have a storm go thru a few days ago with lightning. The computer wasn't on nor the power strip it's plugged into turned on when we had a flash of lightning. The lights flickered and the TV blinked off and back on so I didn't think about the computer. I should have HDMI output right now so I guess the cable end mod wasn't the solution.
What was I thinking?

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 10:37:30 pm »
Hi VinDSL, no I didn't, I wasn't aware of it. I would probably have to go into each os I have installed and install the proprietary driver before I do that, shouldn't I? The previous card I had was not using the proprietary driver, so I have no experience with it.

If it was me, I'd try disabling the onboard graphics in BIOS, save it, exit, and see what happens.

That's a pretty SOP, when you install an after-market graphic card.

Heh! One of my PCs doesn't even allow the onboard graohics to be disabled in BIOS, and it causes no end of problems  ::)

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 11:35:03 pm »

If it was me, I'd try disabling the onboard graphics in BIOS, save it, exit, and see what happens.

That's a pretty SOP, when you install an after-market graphic card.

Heh! One of my PCs doesn't even allow the onboard graphics to be disabled in BIOS, and it causes no end of problems  ::)

I took a look at that. This motherboard switches automatically. After changing the cmos battery and resetting cmos and then finally removing the graphics card, I've come to the conclusion that the motherboard is either failing or was damaged during that last storm we had and is not allowing enough power to get to the graphics card. Once I removed the card, the computer would start up normally. I had to go into Mate to run Timeshift and restore P 9's last snapshot and now I can get back into Peppermint. I guess I'm just going to have to spend some money on a new computer or at least a new motherboard combo. My board is not available any where I've looked. It's an oldie with an AM1 socket. Oh well  :(
What was I thinking?

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 11:46:48 pm »
Interesting!

The biggest reason I've been using EVGA nVidia Geforce GT 710 & GT 730 cards is because of their low power consumption - 24w & 38w respectively.

My Dell 7010 i5 & i7 PCs only have 240-watt power supplies, and the EVGA specs say:

300 Watt or greater power supply with a minimum of 20 Amp on the +12 volt rail.****
****Minimum system power requirement based on a PC configured with an Intel Core i7 3.2GHz processor.

Guess I've been lucky  ;D

EDIT

I might also mention, I've had my custom Mountain Mods computer since around the turn of the century. The mobo still worked fine, but it was so old that I couldn't find a decent AGP card for it. So, I upgraded it recently.

Power supplies are a different story. They only last a few years. I've probably had to replace the power supply 3-4 times, so far.

I'm putting my money on a weak PS...  :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 12:12:40 am by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 02:33:16 am »
Interesting!

The power supply was the first thing I changed, forgot to mention it.
What was I thinking?

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 02:39:38 am »
Interesting!

The power supply was the first thing I changed, forgot to mention it.

Well, dang!

Congratulations, you've stumped the chimp  ;D

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 09:39:06 am »
 ;D
As soon as I have some time and money, actually money, I've got lots of time, it's going to the shop for verification.
What was I thinking?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 09:40:34 am »
if I hold the space key down for a second or two, I get the mobo spash screen and then the grub menu. If I boot into Peppermint I get this,

Try disabling secureboot.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec