Choose style:

Author Topic: Nvidia still doesnt create a x11.conf file (p9 respin)  (Read 408 times)

Offline chadwix

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7 64bit
Nvidia still doesnt create a x11.conf file (p9 respin)
« on: April 24, 2019, 05:08:26 pm »
Ive tried normal ubuntu and it works fine, for some reason peppermint will not add any lines into the file.

Think im going to reinstall again (mine wont boot), is there anyway to fix the tearing with the open source driver? 

Thanks

Online scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Nvidia still doesnt create a x11.conf file (p9 respin)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 06:04:31 pm »
To create an Nvidia configuration file, you need the proprietary driver installed. Then you just have to run this in a terminal:

Code: [Select]
sudo nvidia-xconfig

That will create the xorg.conf file in /etc/X11. To modify that file (add the line to get rid of screen tearing) you need to run this:

sudo xed /etc/X11/xorg.conf

You add your line to get rid of screen tearing, save the file and reboot, and it should work to get rid of screen tearing. I say should because I believe a small group of users have reported that it didn't work with specific Nvidia cards. But, it works great with my GTX 950.

Offline chadwix

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 02:39:40 am »
I get that far, then i put on driver and my fonts mess up (monitor is 4k).  I have put in the "dpi 96 * 96" when file works.

Then i get a dos screen that asks for my name and pass, then does nothing.  My problem is im not getting any lines in that file when i install driver.

I have three computers running peppermint, two amd's (2200g with built in cpu graphics) and this i7 with a 1070gtx.  All three require me to fix the video.

With the amd's (nov driver is fine, tv comps), i just have to fix the tearing, the nvidia is more work.  I dont need the nvidia driver now that my video game doesnt work in Lutris anymore (shader 3.0 error), all i need is no screen tearing using the generic driver. 

Had to put win10 on other ssd to play my video games, but peppermint is by far my fav for everything else, just the darn video issues upon install. 

« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 02:41:23 am by chadwix »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 06:45:05 am »
So all you really want is to set font scaling to 96 DPI ?

If so, run:
xed ~/.Xresources
and when a blank file opens, add this line:
Xft.dpi: 96
SAVE the file, then log off/on.

We're looking into a fix for this nvidia font scaling weirdness in Peppermint 10
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 06:47:36 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9 (64bit), P 9 R
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 04:59:10 pm »
To create an Nvidia configuration file, you need the proprietary driver installed. Then you just have to run this in a terminal:

sudo nvidia-xconfig

That will create the xorg.conf file in /etc/X11. To modify that file (add the line to get rid of screen tearing) you need to run this:

You add your line to get rid of screen tearing, save the file and reboot, and it should work to get rid of screen tearing. I say should because I believe a small group of users have reported that it didn't work with specific Nvidia cards. But, it works great with my GTX 950.

Hi scifidude79, what is the line you have to add to get rid of screen tearing?
What was I thinking?

Online scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 05:27:29 pm »

Add this line to the "Screen" section of the xorg.conf file, right after "DefaultDepth 24"

Option  "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"

It gets rid of screen tearing on many NVIDIA GPUs, but not all.

Offline chadwix

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 10:46:18 pm »

If so, run:
xed ~/.Xresources

We're looking into a fix for this nvidia font scaling weirdness in Peppermint 10

Im pretty sure it has todo with 4k, just put it on an i7 with a 1080p monitor and no issues.

You helped me in the past, when i put on the driver certain fonts were bigger than the others.

Is there anyway to fix the tearing while using the nouveau driver?  Its fine for what im doing

Thanks

Offline chadwix

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 10:49:55 pm »

sudo nvidia-xconfig

You can also do it in the nvidia panel.

Nvidia x Server setting (can type in menu, it finds)

X server display configuration
Advanced
Check full pipeline box, apply and hit the save config button

I use this video to test

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 11:15:20 am »

If so, run:
xed ~/.Xresources

Im pretty sure it has todo with 4k, just put it on an i7 with a 1080p monitor and no issues.

You helped me in the past, when i put on the driver certain fonts were bigger than the others.

Is there anyway to fix the tearing while using the nouveau driver?  Its fine for what im doing

Thanks

You'd probably be better off waiting for Zeb to respond where 4k monitors are concerned, I know he knows how to set them up.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 12:14:27 pm »
Hi
You have already been given all the answers by various people - you just need to put them all together.
install the nvidia drivers - 390 will be fine.  Do this from Additional Drivers or in a terminal type

sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
Reboot and use

sudo nvidia-settings
to open nvidia control panel
find OpenGL Settings and untick "Sync to vBlank" and untick "Allow Flipping"
find X Server Display Configuration - click on advanced and then tick "Force Full Composition Pipeline"

then click save and type in the dialog box
/etc/X11/xorg.conf
click "Save" and when you are back to the main nvidia-settings screen click Quit.
This WILL eliminate all screen tearing.

Now to set the Font DPi anywhere between 96 and 144
so run
xed ~/.Xresources
and when a blank file opens, add this line

Change 96 as described above - you will need to experiment to get the font size you wish.

Now to get the window borders looking better for HiDPI displays
Open the Peppermint Settings Panel and then the Peppermint Control Centre. 
On the Window Manager Tab choose a Theme called Default-hdpi or Default xhdpi.  Again you will need to choose which of the two you prefer.
That is it.

Regards Zeb...

« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 01:25:04 pm by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1070ti 8Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P910 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 02:46:31 pm »
TVM Zeb :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Nine Respin 2
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 02:11:12 pm »

If so, run:
xed ~/.Xresources

Nvidia have always been weird, since late 16.04 we had to use the option dpi 96 x 96 in the xorg.conf file and back then it was only in XFCE DE, then 18.04 came out it started on other DE's too, Mate, Budgie, even Lubuntu started getting it. But what I did notice about it's increase with other DE's it was to do with the 390 drivers. Even still today and more so with the 396, 415, 418 drivers, they too have to still have us all tweaking our xorg.conf file, after saving Nvidia drivers settings.  I add the      Option         "DPI" "96 x 96" line to Section Monitor underneath DPMS then under section device under the name of your Nvidia card I add this line     Option         "TripleBuffer" "1" this reduces any screen blanking. I know that Nvidia have done an awful lot for us here in Linux, but you would think that out of the box, or at least by now, they would of had this font shrinking fixed. Plus whatever Resolution your Desktop is setup in the DPI will do the same resolution for your login screen.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 05:42:31 am by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 02:51:40 pm »
Even still today and more so with the 396 and 415 drivers [...]

Agreed! nVidia drivers are a moving target.

I don't know if it's the three (3) display mix I'm running, or the oddball vid card, but the only nVidia ver that works for me (currently) is 396 - and, I've tried them all ::)

« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 02:59:46 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Added Purdy Pic »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2019, 04:29:06 pm »
Hoping to fix this nvidia font weirdness in PM10.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Nine Respin 2
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 05:20:15 am »
Even still today and more so with the 396 and 415 drivers [...]

Agreed! nVidia drivers are a moving target.

I don't know if it's the three (3) display mix I'm running, or the oddball vid card, but the only nVidia ver that works for me (currently) is 396 - and, I've tried them all ::)

I had the 710 Nvidia card, which is classed as a discreet or discrete card, as it is meant for older hardware, but yeah the 396 driver was the only one I went for, which was most reliable. I built my mate a Peppermint 9 Respin 2 machine and he is over the moon with it, plus put the 710 card in there for him. The machine is very old indeed, dates back to 2008 and originally had Winders 7 on. All he wanted was a machine where he could surf the net, watch films, listen to music, transfer music over to his phone. His old computer had Linux Lite on and he had dual booted with Winders 7, on the same hard drive and as we all know, though it can be done, in my experience with dual booting Winders, it takes over your system in the end. I don't have Winders anymore, can live without it, though if you're going to dual boot any Winders system I can highly recommend using a separate hard drive, if you have the room in your system.  I made his computer run just Peppermint and must admit, I did have problems with it not being able to reboot properly, but sometimes when the unexplained cannot be explained, especially where computers are concerned, it fixed itself and can now reboot properly.   ;D

In the new Ubuntu 19.04 the 396 drivers do not work at all, you end up with a screen resolution stuck at 640x480. If you uninstall this driver and go back to the Nouveau driver, it is still at 640x480 resolution. In 19.04 they rely on 390 and 418 drivers, which are what I'm using now, here in Peppermint.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 05:44:53 am by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)