Choose style:

Author Topic: Cannot start PPTP or VPNC VPN on peppermint 9 (SOLVED)  (Read 347 times)

Offline sdgengineer

• Forum User
    • View Profile
    • Scott Gardner PE
  • Peppermint version(s): 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9
Cannot start PPTP or VPNC VPN on peppermint 9 (SOLVED)
« on: April 23, 2019, 08:05:37 pm »
About two months ago I Installed VPNC (IPSEC).   Witopia is my VPN service provider.  I have installed VPNC on Peppermint 5 and 6 and still use them with no issues.  When I first installed it on this computer (Peppermint 9) I was able to click the VPN connection and it would connect,   Now when I single click the VPN connection it does nothing.  When I double click the specific VPN connection it opens up its configuration.  I am at a loss as to what to do next.  I need to figure out how to start the VPN connection.  Before I had a menu item "VPN connections" when I selected theNetwork Icon on the start bar.  Now I don't have that menu item.  Do I need to reinstall the network (dameon)?

« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 12:46:01 am by sdgengineer »
No Job is impossible for the  person who doesn't have to do it!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Cannot start PPTP or VPNC VPN on peppermint 9
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 07:11:21 am »
Try
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install --reinstall network-manager network-manager-gnome network-manager-openvpn network-manager-openvpn-gnome network-manager-pptp network-manager-vpnc
then log off/on.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 07:13:04 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline sdgengineer

• Forum User
    • View Profile
    • Scott Gardner PE
Re: Cannot start PPTP or VPNC VPN on peppermint 9 (SOLVED)
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 08:23:39 pm »
Didn't work.  Since I have a dual boot computer I ran a copy of Peppermint 9 on Virtualbox on my windows computer.  When I Click the networking Icon I get the correct menu shown below on the google drive link

I can't get to this on my normal boot of Peppermint 9.  ANy ideas?  Thanks. 

Here is what I get when I click on the Networking Icon on my virtual box Peppermint 9.  https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hVi8gI-O-yAWm7MJd41eEDuV0wL7q5Bc   when I click on the link on my proper machine I go directly to the network connections menu.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 12:52:08 am by sdgengineer »

Offline sdgengineer

• Forum User
    • View Profile
    • Scott Gardner PE
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 11:25:39 pm »
Maybe this is a desktop problem... I can use the terminal command "nmcli con" and show all my VPN connections.  If I use the "sudo nmcli  up VPNSITE name" it will bring the VPN up.  Where VPNSITE is one of the 6 or so VPNs I have set up.    I can also bring down the VPN by doing a sudo nmcli down VPNSITE.  So it looks like I need to restore the desktop apllet or widget (Not sure of the term) any ideas how to do that?

SOLVED  -- When I left  clicked on the panel (OTHER THAN ON THE NETWORKING ICON) I get the pop menu that lets me choose which VPN to select and also allows me to enable / disable my network connection.  Not sure what I did, but it seems to work now.  Thanks
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 01:00:59 am by sdgengineer »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 11:11:39 am »
Cool .. all's well that ends well, I guess :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec