Author Topic: LXDE future? [SOLVED]  (Read 4877 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: LXDE future? [SOLVED]
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2019, 11:37:59 am »
systemd in and of itself does not increase boot times .. in fact a solid technical argument could be made for the possibility of it decreasing them.

Again, that's not to say I'm a systemd fan .. just pointing out 'boot times' aren't simply down to systemd.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2019, 12:01:25 pm »
I know you're new here, az2020, so here's a POC in case you think I'm pulling your leg   :)

Regarding your speedy boot time: is that documented as a how-to? I'd be curious to see how reasonable that would be for the average user, or what downsides there are (features eliminated?). There must be some reason Peppermint isn't configured that way out of the box? Some kind of downside?

Yes n' Know... (see what I did there?)  :D

I H-A-T-E writing docs. I comment my code, like crazy, but struggle translating it to a human readable format.

Alex does a pretty good job of it: https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/first-ubuntu.html

He stays current, so that's a good general reference, although we disagree on a few things.

In answer to your question, Alex used to have a Peppermint section, in his blog, and wondered why "Peppermint isn't configured that way out of the box." He used to post in these forums, but it was one of those 'clash of civilizations' things that devs get into, and he gave up the fight.

I made a few notes in this thread, a while back: https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,3700.0.html

I don't know how understandable it is for users, but I refer to it first, when I do a fresh Peppermint install. It's still pertinent.

So, generally, I start with that, and compare it to Alex's most recent update. The rest is relegated to memory.

It's one of those things you need to have 'in your azz'. Either you know 'howto' or you don't.

I need a good doc writer to support my work(s). Care to apply?  :)

Steve did a bang-up job on my Conky code, but he's a literal genius, so they banned him from the Ubu forums. LoL

Still going, if you're interested in Conky (453,000+ views & 2,700+ replies):  https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1771033

But, I digress...

Anyway, Peppermint is a full-featured distro. After I do the initial stuff, I start analyzing the critical time crunchers @boot using:

Code: [Select]
systemd-analyze critical-chain
If something if chewing up more than a few milliseconds, and I don't need nor use it, I purge it. If it's 'no harm, no foul' I leave it installed.

I don't conduct any 'mad scientist lab experiments' on Peppermint. The changes I make are benign.   ;)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2019, 12:14:45 pm »
Hi az2020,

Correct, VinDSL's customized Peppermint is still using systemd, but I'm quite sure that he (like me) has disabled and masked unwanted/unneeded services -- although, exactly what he has done is being kept under the table (so far). I do know that one of the easiest and best ways to improve boot time is to throw out HDDs and install SSDs.  ;) Also, some machines boot faster when using wicd rather than NetworkManager (one of my systems is that way but not the others). You only discover if this works for your hardware by trial and error.

If you do not use the btrfs file system, you should remove package btrfs-tools as it can sometimes slow your boot while it performs its search for its non-existing file system. Also, apparmor is a package that slows down boot times and is almost never used by casual home users. It can be safely removed.

For further tips, you will have wait for Mr VinDSL to provide you (or not provide you) with some more tips.  :D

Regards,

-- Slim

Well said, Slim! I do all those things out of rote.  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2019, 12:42:03 pm »
IIRC we had a disagreement about our enabling the 5-7 update 'levels' in mintupdate out of the box...

He thought Linux Mints policy was a great idea and they should have been left disabled in Peppermint too, I thought it made much more sense for us to follow the update policy of our upstream project, so stated that was our "official position" but that users were free to ignore our advice and disable them if they chose.

He left .. ???
(which was a pity, but obviously something he's entitled to do)

IIRC he left on friendly enough terms though, I don't remember trading blows or anything :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 12:57:30 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2019, 01:11:38 pm »
IIRC he left on friendly enough terms though, I don't remember trading blows or anything :)

Yeah, it's all good, Chief.

That's what happens when you have two Master Chefs in the virtual kitchen, playing with fire n' knives.

Someone always ends up getting cut or burned, and goes back home to lick their wounds.

Seen it many, many times. Goes with the turf.  LoL  ;D

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2019, 01:21:29 pm »
OMG! I was rereading that 2017 haxor thread, and totally forgot about this: https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,3700.msg42500.html#msg42500

I've had a DJ bot running for years on my Dell Latitude D620. It has a spinner, so I never added the flag.

Fast forward to today, and I've been running another two (2) Chromium bots, 24/7, on this daily driver.

Heh, I  been hammering my Sammy for awhile now  ::)

This is what I like about helping others. You help yourself (and your hardware) too.

BTW, I 'softened' up my playlists, if anyone is interested in EDM/Chill: https://www.dubtrack.fm/join/horizon
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 01:25:52 pm by VinDSL »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2019, 01:29:00 pm »
You know it's easier in Fx right .. Bwahahahaha!!!  :D

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2019, 01:39:58 pm »
You know it's easier in Fx right .. Bwahahahaha!!!  :D

Well, maybe, but...

Fx and Opera both crash after a day or two - sometimes sooner.

I'm NOT a Chromium fanboi, right now, but I know what makes it crash, and how to fix it, soooo...

It's a useful idiot for bot operations  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2019, 01:45:06 pm »
Well if it's for "idiot operations" then sure Chromium/Chrome will fit the bill just fine :))

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2019, 01:49:11 pm »
Yeah, it's a haxor's dream  8)

Offline az2020

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2019, 06:35:26 pm »
If you do not use the btrfs file system, you should remove package btrfs-tools as it can sometimes slow your boot while it performs its search for its non-existing file system. Also, apparmor is a package that slows down boot times and is almost never used by casual home users. It can be safely removed.

Thanks for those two tips. I removed apparmor (from Lubuntu 19.04). When I tried to remove btrfs-tools, it didn't find the package -- but suggested btrfs-progs. When I executed the command to remove that, it found it. I didn't follow through. Worried that might be something different. Any thoughts about that?

I haven't booted yet.

I hope @VinDSL will document what he's done. He's making me thirsty!

EDIT: Oopps. I hadn't seen all the replies between yours and this. Lots of good info I'll be looking at. (I also agree with how I was confusing my Lubuntu with the Peppermint suggestions.).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 06:56:43 pm by az2020 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2019, 06:44:29 pm »
You're asking in the wrong place about Lubuntu, we can only be sure about Peppermint packages .. there's no way we can be sure what depends on what in Lubuntu, it'd be irresponsible of us to give advice that might break Lubuntu.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2019, 11:28:12 pm »
Hi az2020,

Yes, what PCNetSpec said !!  ;) I do not have Lubuntu installed and cannot give advice concerning it.

Glad that you found use for the tips.  8)

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline az2020

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2019, 09:01:21 am »
Here, https://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=All&origin=All&basedon=All&notbasedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&package=All&rolling=All&isosize=All&netinstall=All&language=All&defaultinit=Not+systemd&status=Active#simple
without systemd

I downloaded the first distro in that list (MX 18). I like that one. It's a nice balance between plain and polished.

Peppermint's idle memory use after install is 272,416 meg (244,756 after updating and disabling the image background).

MX 18 is 306,260 (282,864 after update, turning off Conky and the background).

Mint Mate 19.1 is 335,968 (309,912).

(Not that idle memory use is very important to me. But, those are the three I'm going to be playing with (choosing from).

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2019, 10:21:20 am »
All great distro choices :)

But I feel I have to add ..
we win!!!

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec