Author Topic: LXDE future? [SOLVED]  (Read 4874 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: LXDE future? [SOLVED]
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2019, 02:28:06 pm »
Saw that one coming, eh perk?   :D

How did you know I was following this one, VinDSL? :o

You're right, though, I do have a soft spot for this matter.
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline 151tom

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 & 10 (64 Bit)
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2019, 03:16:00 pm »
Hey az2020,

I've been using Peppermint Linux since the days of Peppermint 7 and have found it to work well on the computers I've installed it on.

All of my computers have Core 2 Duo processors and 4.0GB of ram and mechanical hard drives and work well using Peppermint.

Give it a try I think you will find it works very well.

I also use Antix 17.4.1 Helen Keller.

151tom ;)

chadwix

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2019, 12:00:36 am »
Yes Peppermint 10 will be coming in a month or so.

Cant wait to see what you do next, i was a bit mad with vlc being removed in repsin, but like the new player.

By far my fav os

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2019, 04:23:12 am »
I've been using Peppermint Linux since the days of Peppermint 7 and have found it to work well on the computers I've installed it on.

Welcome to the forum, 151tom.

I also use Antix 17.4.1 Helen Keller.

That name has got to be from anticapitalista!  Knowing a little of her politics, it's such a clever name. ;)
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2019, 02:20:22 am »
For the sake of conversation... 

I just finished doing a weekly update on my 32bit Dell Dimension 3000 Peppermint 9 doorstop computer.

Code: [Select]
╭─vindsl@Fenris-3 ~ 
╰─$ systemd-analyze time

Startup finished in 3.757s (kernel) + 12.690s (userspace) = 16.448s
graphical.target reached after 12.626s in userspace
╭─vindsl@Fenris-3 ~ 
╰─$
Not bad, for an old throwaway, eh what?  ;D

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2019, 02:33:30 am »
I know you're new here, az2020, so here's a POC in case you think I'm pulling your leg   :)

Offline az2020

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2019, 06:06:50 am »
I know you're new here, az2020, so here's a POC in case you think I'm pulling your leg   :)

Sorry for not replying sooner. I'm test-driving some distros and gathering baseline memory-used info. I did that with the live-CD sessions earlier this week, about the time I created this thread.  (Now I'm installing to a virtual environment that I can reboot, more representative of installed memory use. Not that I think memory use is definitive. I thought of it  merely as trivia as I visited live-cd sessions.).

Regarding your speedy boot time: is that documented as a how-to? I'd be curious to see how reasonable that would be for the average user, or what downsides there are (features eliminated?). There must be some reason Peppermint isn't configured that way out of the box? Some kind of downside?

I'm pretty sure I'll switch to Peppermint when 10 is released. It seems very familiar to me coming from the increasingly legacy LXDE Lubuntu environment. (Part of me would like more lean, like Puppy or Antix. But... the more I play with those two... I don't believe I have the passion for fiddling with things at that level.  I always *want* to be a fiddler, that natural ability. But, when faced with actually doing it... I always find I like things to be more polished, less fiddling. Peppermint's right in that goldilocks zone for me. It's plain in a Shaker-style[1] aesthetic sense; elegantly plain. Not in a hobbyist unfinished sense.).

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaker_furniture

Offline pin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2019, 07:40:17 am »
Fidling with AntiX or Puppy??  ::)
They both have a GUI to start with...  ::)
Fidling  :-\

Sorry, I just couldn't resist  :-X

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2019, 08:02:20 am »
E-a-s-y pin, don't scare off the visitors ;)

He obviously meant 'tweaking to his requirements' .. and I'd agree anyway, at least about Puppy .. it's "fiddly" to get installed / set up the way you want.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 08:19:22 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline az2020

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2019, 08:25:00 am »
He obviously meant 'tweaking to his requirements' .. and I'd agree anyway, at least about Puppy .. it's "fiddly" to get installed / set up the way you want.

They're both (Puppy & Antix) new in a way that requires learning more than I want to. (I want to, but... my dedication doesn't match my desires). Puppy doesn't seem like it would be much of a learning curve. But, the frugal vs. full, session-in-a-file. It's different enough that I don't think I'd stick with it. I've read that even with a modern laptop with ample resources, they recommend frugal just because that's what most people use (better chance of getting help with problems).

It's tempting to go own one of those paths and force myself to learn more. There's no reason not to. I just don't think I have that much passion for that much fiddling (or being different). I usually replace my laptop when it dies. Maybe I should buy a new one now and have this 3-yo laptop for one of those distros. A backup system. Get more exposure to those less-polished (more different) environments.

That kind of stuff is like video games for me. I can spend *hours* doing it, and then feel mildly ill from being too focused on something too much (disassociated from less-virtual things). I probably lack an ability to balance something with those things.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 08:37:59 am by az2020 »

Offline 151tom

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 & 10 (64 Bit)
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2019, 08:53:19 am »
Regarding your speedy boot time: is that documented as a how-to? I'd be curious to see how reasonable that would be for the average user, or what downsides there are (features eliminated?). There must be some reason Peppermint isn't configured that way out of the box? Some kind of downside?

There is usually always going to be some type of a downside when disabling features of an OS to increase performance or for whatever the reason may be based on my own personal experience with doing such.

I never understood the preoccupation with boot times as I power on my computer when I wake up and then start the coffee pot and by the time I'm back to my computer it is ready to go.

(Part of me would like more lean, like Puppy or Antix. But... the more I play with those two... I don't believe I have the passion for fiddling with things at that level.  I always *want* to be a fiddler, that natural ability. But, when faced with actually doing it... I always find I like things to be more polished, less fiddling. Peppermint's right in that goldilocks zone for me. It's plain in a Shaker-style[1] aesthetic sense; elegantly plain. Not in a hobbyist unfinished sense.).

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaker_furniture

Linux distros such as Antix and Puppy are not for everyone as these Linux distros do come with a slight learning curve.

Any user of Antix or Puppy must be willing to learn the necessary how to skills of Antix and
Puppy
so as to have an enjoyable first experience with them. 

Antix and Puppy are Linux distros where a user must be willing to dive in and get their hands dirty.

Peppermint on the other hand installs and updates and works on most computers OOTB with minimal tweaks / tuning if any at all from my user experience.  :)  8)

Thanks for the welcome perknh.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 09:10:40 am by 151tom »

Offline az2020

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2019, 09:12:09 am »
I never understood the preoccupation with boot times as I power on my computer when I wake up and then start the coffee pot and by the time I'm back to my computer it is ready to go.

I do the same thing. I leave my laptop on all day.  When I saw Antix's boot speed (which I attributed to abandoning systemd), I was thinking that would be a distinguishing feature for a distro. (But, it would depend on how that destabilizes the system, what's lost as a result, etc.). However pointless it could be (smile), it might draw people in.

When systemd first arrived, I suffered some 5-minute boot times. Nobody could tell what was happening because it was gigantic black hole. I'm sure systemd has positives. But, when I saw Antix not using it (and heard of Devuan doing the same?) I hoped that might be something more distros consider doing (just from my own experience. But, like I said, I don't know anything about and there could be downsides I'm not familiar with.).

Even 1-minutes boots (the typical I get) seem long for what's supposed to be a lean operating system. I blame it on systemd. But, I don't know. Maybe that's not it.

Offline pin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2019, 09:33:58 am »
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 09:37:27 am by pin »

Offline az2020

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2019, 10:32:20 am »
Here, https://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=All&origin=All&basedon=All&notbasedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&package=All&rolling=All&isosize=All&netinstall=All&language=All&defaultinit=Not+systemd&status=Active#simple
without systemd

What exactly do you mean by destabilizing the system?! systemd has nothing to do with the stability of the distro.

I'm sorry. I have no idea what I'm talking about. I just meant, maybe there's something that would be bad about that (destablizing in the sense of how the distro works). I was trying to not sound opinionated about it (because I don't know to be). One or two people earlier in this thread commented like they do know enough and thought it was a bad idea. I was just trying to tip my hat to them. I really don't know anything about. I have a bad taste about systemd from my own troubles many years ago. Seeing Antix boot reminded me of happier times. (wink). But, I don't know what positives systemd brings. I'm sure there are some, or it wouldn't have been adopted. That's all I was trying to say. If everyone's doing systemd, it seems like bucking that trend could introduce some kind of instability. I always find that to be true with things I do.

EDIT: I just looked at the link. Thanks! I didn't realize so many distros didn't use systemd. I thought it was very odd for the two I knew of. (Also, I didn't know Puppy doesn't use sysdemd. The way Puppy took a normal time to boot suggests Antix's boot speed may have nothing to do with systemd. As does Vin's customized Peppermint, which I assume is still using systemd.). Like I said in the beginning: I don't now anything about it.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 11:07:47 am by az2020 »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2019, 11:05:25 am »
Hi az2020,

Correct, VinDSL's customized Peppermint is still using systemd, but I'm quite sure that he (like me) has disabled and masked unwanted/unneeded services -- although, exactly what he has done is being kept under the table (so far). I do know that one of the easiest and best ways to improve boot time is to throw out HDDs and install SSDs.  ;) Also, some machines boot faster when using wicd rather than NetworkManager (one of my systems is that way but not the others). You only discover if this works for your hardware by trial and error.

If you do not use the btrfs file system, you should remove package btrfs-tools as it can sometimes slow your boot while it performs its search for its non-existing file system. Also, apparmor is a package that slows down boot times and is almost never used by casual home users. It can be safely removed.

For further tips, you will have wait for Mr VinDSL to provide you (or not provide you) with some more tips.  :D

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome