Choose style:

Author Topic: When Open Source Software Does Data Mining  (Read 2968 times)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin (64bit)
Re: When Open Source Software Does Data Mining
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 06:22:14 pm »
Say "GNU/Linux" here one more time .. go on I dare ya .. finger on the ban trigger and I'm not scared to use it .. Grrrrrrr!!!

Only kiddin. :)   <---- JUST IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 06:31:15 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 (64-bit)
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 07:31:48 pm »
No, PCNetSpec, I won't do that!  But I did want to thank you for those definitions.  I've already bookmarked this thread.  I will need time to review, re-review these definitions until they sink in, but they will help me clear up much of the fuzzy thinking I've had concerning Linux-kerneled operating systems!  :D

As for Google's distributions.  I'm not so troubled by an adult deciding to use an Android device, or a Chromebook -- although I'd still like to see more transparency concerning what information is being gathered, and safeguards in place to block what we don't want gathered.  But to see the corporate tracking of children, within a distribution, at such an early age -- that's just wrong.  I may decide, personally, to continue to purchase Windows computers, and then install Linux distributions on them as I do now.  I seem to prefer this to using an Android device, or a Chromebook, for myself.  Then again if those System 76 computers ever go down in price, I'm sure I'll find myself shopping there.  And, of course,  I can always contact Dell, HP, Toshiba, etc.  to see if they have anything available with Ubuntu, or with any other Linux installation.

Richard Stallman, by my observations is a purist.  While Linus Torvalds, to me, is a pragmatist.  They make an uneasy duo, I admit.  Of course we need both high ideals and practicality.  The two mens brains are wired quite differently from one another.  I know people like Richard Stallman and these people live in a world of all or nothing, black and white, good and evil-- there's nothing in between for this type of brain. 

Linus Torvalds, on the other hand, is from the WWP (What Works Party).  He's a pragmatist, and he'll sacrifice a few lesser ideals in order to get something accomplished.

Me?  Well, I see a lot of gray in the world, but some of my friends only see only black or white.  I believe this the way our brains are wired -- nothing more.

Do I think one of these men would be easier to get along with than the other?  You bet I do.  Yes, both men have tempers that can flare up in an instant, and both men can beat somebody up verbally in a matter of seconds, but one does it with a lot more humor than the other.

Remember Mary Poppins?  She was right -- a little sugar really does help the medicine go down!

Thank you, PCNetSpec

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 06:45:16 am by perknh »
If you love GNU/Linux, and have a taste for Peppermint, you're now where you belong!

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 64bit
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 03:42:55 am »
Say "GNU/Linux" here one more time .. go on I dare ya .. finger on the ban trigger and I'm not scared to use it .. Grrrrrrr!!!

That statement is negative in the freedom dimension...Get it outta here  :o

Richard Stallman is nothing short of a genius and a messiah amongst mortals we should all follow his teachings and bow to his greatness  :)

GNU/Linux, GNU/Linux, GNU/Linux  :P

Graeme
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 03:49:40 am by emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 07:12:51 am »
He's a genius -- that's for sure.  But I'd never want to introduce him to a convention, and then make the unfortunate mistake of misinterpreting his philosophy and approach during an introduction.  He'll tear you to shreds in a matter of seconds, and make you feel two inches tall in the process.  I've seen him become ferocious. 

Now, emegra, remember the mark of the of the beast -- rw-rw-rw?  You know we could begin to recondition PCNetSpec by using rs-rs-rs more often!  How long do you think it would it take to recondition PCNetSpec to go from RW aka Raquel Welch to RS aka Richard Stallman -- days, months, years, or maybe never?   :D

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:31:23 am by perknh »
If you love GNU/Linux, and have a taste for Peppermint, you're now where you belong!

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin (64bit)
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 08:08:40 am »
GNU/Linux .. what makes him think GNU should come first, his toolchain sits atop the kernel, so surely it should be Linux/GNU

If distros followed his line of thinking they'd have to set aside the whole front page just for the name  ::)

PeppermintOS -  a Linux/GNU/Xorg/LXDE/Samba/Python/Apple(CUPS)/Google/IBM/Microsoft/the actual author of Bash,  rather than GNU getting the credit/Bob Bichin/His mate that helped write a patch/His mom who made them sandwiches whilst the wrote the patch...... based distro.

WHO CARES .. it's become commonly and collectively known as "Linux" .. I still "feel" grateful to ALL contributors, I don't need to know their names .. and something as simple as a funny looking name (particularly one containing a recursive backronym) could do a LOT of damage where people already consider Linux geeky

If people only contributed to OSS projects to get their name in lights, OSS would have died out long ago

RMS has made himself famous by being a very vocal crackpot about such things . good for him, he deserves recognition (and gets it in spades) but renaming what's collectively become known as "Linux" to "GNU/Linux" would not only be (by his own standards) unfair to others, but plain STUPID .. I could have sworn someone said he was a genius  :-\

Oh, and GNU is NOT an OS as has previously been said .. it would more honestly be descfribed as a toolchain or collection of tools and compilers.

It was *meant* to be an OS, but they *still* haven't got a fully functional kernel, and probably never will .. HURD is still "under active development" as it has been for year after year after year .. HURD is going nowhere fast (pity, because I like the idea of a microkernel ... but micro Vs monolithic is a whole other discussion)

If GNU can't currently OPERATE any SYSTEM without the Linux (or another) kernel .. what makes it an OS ?

So there .. ner, ner, na, ner, ner  :P
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 08:43:57 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 07:24:03 am »
Heh!  Reading through this thread, I can see a "HOWTO: Compile a Custom Linux Kernel" is in our future.   :D

Truly, that's what 'Linux' is all about.  The rest is gingerbread.

When one starts compiling their own kernel(s), everything else will become apparent.  ;)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 09:26:19 am »
Here's a link about free and open source software from openSUSE:

http://en.opensuse.org/Free_and_Open_Source_Software

And here's an article of interest concerning open source from the New York Times called An Alliance of Major Players to Guide Open-Source Software by Quentin Hardy.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/15/an-alliance-of-major-players-to-guide-open-source-software/?_php=true&_type=blogs&emc=edit_tnt_20140915&nlid=58314320&tntemail0=y&_r=0
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 09:05:41 pm by perknh »