Author Topic: List of kernel boot options  (Read 3887 times)

Offline SeanVN

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
List of kernel boot options
« on: August 10, 2014, 05:20:53 pm »
I tried your installer for peppermint os 5 and it was like 'hey, just let me wipe out your other linux distributions and all your data and you know - just for fun - your windows partition and every important document you have."
I am using grub4linux for booting.  I have copied the contents of the usb stick to my hard drive and I need to know the boot options for the kernel etc.  I want a frugal install with persistence.  I can't seem to find a list of the boot options anywhere on the internet, unlike for other distributions.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 06:17:46 pm by SeanVN »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: List of kernal boot options
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 06:23:08 pm »
I'm not sure exactly what you're after ?

Peppermint uses the default Ubuntu kernel, but besides anything specific to the Ubuntu kernel patches the kernel boot parameters will be the same as for any other kernel

A list of which can be found at kernel.org:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt

Or Just search for what you need referencing the Ubuntu kernel.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline SeanVN

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: List of kernel boot options
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 06:31:17 pm »
Ok, I got it to boot but it is not persistent.  Also I don't want to see the lollipop every time. 
What information do you need?
I am using peppermint os 5 amd64
The boot loader is grub4dos
The partition is (hd0,2)  sda3 format ext4

the grub4dos entry is:

title Peppermint
  rootnoverify (hd0,2)/casper
  kernel /vmlinuz.efi  root=sda3 rw file=/preseed/peppermint.seed boot=casper quiet splash --
  initrd /initrd.lz

What do I add to get persistence?

Windows is in a different partition and there are a few different versions of linux in sda3
The installer is dangerous - maybe it is confused by grub4dos or whatever?  However it is not a crazy as the Lbuntu installer.  I would have to hold a seance and contact Douglas Adams to know how to express how nuts the Lbuntu installer is.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 06:41:31 pm by SeanVN »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 07:22:46 pm »
OK I'm not a Casper expert by any means .. but as I understand it, casper looks for either a partition labeled casper-rw, or a (correctly formatted) file called casper-rw in the root of the mounted partition.

So if one of those exist, and that boot stanza boots a working non persistent version of Peppermint .. all you'd need to add is the "persistent" flag.

as in
kernel /vmlinuz.efi  root=sda3 rw file=/preseed/peppermint.seed boot=casper quiet splash persistent --

reference:
http://shallowsky.com/blog/linux/install/ubuntu-persistent-live-cd.html
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:29:54 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline SeanVN

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: List of kernel boot options (Solved)
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 01:27:26 am »
It looks like a very nice operating system. However my finger joints are sore from repeated reboots. Issue resolved by deletion.

Offline SeanVN

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 12:29:57 am »
I would advise you to rewrite your installer, particularly if your company is a commercial enterprise.  You are in a competitive marketplace.  I can see that peppermint os 5 is very high quality product with a great deal of professional effort put into it.  The effort is really less than pointless if people cannot install your product.  It is just a massive waste of effort and throwing away the amazing work of very talented people into some vast pit of pointlessness.
Your aim should not be to have an installer that is the equal of other ubuntu versions.  It should not be to have the best installer available in any version of linux.  It should be to have the best installer possible.  Then I think your company can do well.  I would guess you will only get 1% to 2% of the possible install base with the current installer.   

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 01:27:39 am »
Hi SeanVN, how's it going?  I can assure you that there are no problems with current installer.  It is one of the factors that attracts users to Peppermint - the simplicity and speed of the Ubiquity installer.  Its a conventional desktop installer and in the vast majority of times, will deliver a standard installation.  Any other installation methods are considered custom installations and  are therefore undertaken by the choice of the user.  Difficulties with custom installations cannot be blamed on any perceived shortcomings of the Ubiquity installer.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 03:02:49 am »
Hi Sean

I think it's only fair to point out that Peppermint OS is not a commercial product and comes with no guarantees or warranty  and is not in competition with any other product, it is a free to use Linux based operating system created by dedicated  people who give their time and talents for free

I would guess you will only get 1% to 2% of the possible install base with the current installer.

I have absolutely no idea where you get that from however I should also point out that Peppermint OS is licensed under the GPL which means you are free to make any modifications or changes to the source code yourself as there would be no point in our developers wasting their time rewriting code that works perfectly well for the vast majority of people

Good luck

Graeme
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 08:54:44 am by emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: List of kernel boot options (Solved)
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 04:48:19 am »
It looks like a very nice operating system. However my finger joints are sore from repeated reboots. Issue resolved by deletion.

Hi, SeanVN:

I think that for you that was the best solution.

Good luck in your quest,
-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline SeanVN

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 07:39:30 am »
Definitely! But what is wrong with writing the perfect installer?  Custom installs included.  Final step self-sabotage is very common in technical projects.  I can cite examples dating back to 68000 microprocessor where in certain (very useful) machine instructions were deliberately crippled in some final design meeting/mess up.   The story of Java failing to gain any foot hold in the desktop applications is entirely due to some kind of arrogance about how Java programs were to be launched.  With just a rigid insistence by long in the tooth experts that it was only to be launched via the console.  Even as a programmer I found it grievous to install Java programs on clients computers.  They completely lost a market that was theirs for the taking.       

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 08:00:17 am »
Which installer would you suggest ? .. or as a programmer how about writing one and submitting it, I'm sure it would be at least evaluated ;)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 09:18:56 am »
Which installer would you suggest ? .. or as a programmer how about writing one and submitting it, I'm sure it would be at least evaluated ;)
Hi, PCNetSpec:

As is usual for such postings, I doubt that you will ever see a submission for an installer. As a Java programmer, I never had any problems installing Java programs on clients' computers -- something that really has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

I suggest closing this thread. Everything related to the subject has been addressed.

Regards,
-- Slim

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 09:41:16 am »
The OP is entitled to his opinion like anyone else .. as long as it contains no offensive language of course .. Peppermint are always open to suggestions (doesn't mean we'll impliment them, but we'll always listen ;) )

Personally I find the Ubuntu Ubiquity installer scripts pretty good for most people and situations .. but I also agree there are custom installs options (such as frugal) that aren't catered for.

Unlike Windows, Linux installers usually also have to cater for dual boot and detection of other OS's which adds a whole new level of complexity to installers .. in the VAST majority of cases they work perfectly, but there's always a risk of corruption or outright failure with ANY installer .. non of them come with a guarantee or ever could  ;)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 09:46:06 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline SeanVN

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 09:01:55 am »
I had another go, in as logical a way as possible and following all the directions on the tin, so to speak.  Are you sure the directions for persistence you gave me are valid and tested or just subjective impressions and personal feelings as to what ought to work? 

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 09:10:04 am »
If you read reply #3 closely, he says that he is "not a Casper expert by any means .. but as I understand it," ...

I would say that makes it clear.

In addition, everywhere that I have seen (except in one line of the posted link in reply #3) the partition must be named casper-rw and not simply casper. And references to the partition also must contain casper-rw and not just casper.

It worked for me with an earlier Mint version. I do not know about Peppermint 5. Try it and let us know how it turns out. ;)

-- Slim
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 09:15:54 am by Slim.Fatz »