Choose style:

Author Topic: Password and D600 volume keys (SOLVED)  (Read 330 times)

Offline ceetee

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Password and D600 volume keys (SOLVED)
« on: April 18, 2019, 12:04:19 am »
I rediscovered my ancient Dell D600 laptop and have had fun messing around with it again. My old XP install had over 1,800 days since last fired up!
Peppermint 9 runs great on it and I have have got things working well except:

1. I would like to not have to enter a password every time a program such as Synaptic Package Manager is run. I have been able to set the terminal not to ask for a sudo password all the time but I'm having trouble with this in the desktop.

2. The old Dell D600 has volume up, down and mute keys which don't do anything when pressed and I'm not sure configuring them.

3. I set up sounds = on. I like it but can't work out how to change or remove a sound, for example have no sound when the menu button is clicked.

None of these are a big deal, just mildly annoying to me. I'd appreciate any help, Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 02:48:41 pm by ceetee »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Password and D600 volume keys
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 06:01:09 am »
The only easy way I can think of would be to login as root .. but I'd not advise this, it would immediately negate 95% of Linux security.
(even then a few apps such as synaptic would likely prompt for a password as their launchers use pkexec to raise elevated privileges, so their launchers might also need editing to launch it directly)

But as I suggested, this would be a really bad idea ;)

Beyond that you could tell each app individually not to require a password .. but that'd need to be done on a per-application basis, and would still be a bad idea.

[EDIT]

By the way, welcome to the forum ceetee :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 06:08:15 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 06:17:59 am »
2) looking into it

3) try installing a 'fuller' sound theme such as
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-sounds
which will give you MANY more event sounds .. though they'll probably drive you crazy after the initial excitement wears off ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline peppycrab

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 01:11:47 pm »
Possible answer to your first problem (if you don't mind giving up some of your security) -
Change your password to something really simple to enter (as few characters as possible, perhaps consecutive keys).
You'll still have to enter a password, but it will be easier and less time consuming.

Offline ceetee

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 01:34:35 pm »
Thank you for your replies. I can live with the password and system sounds thing. I just thought there may be a way to disable passwords similar to the terminal. It would be super nice to have the volume keys work. I seem to remember messing about with peppermint on the D600 many years ago and vaguely remember getting them to work, but my memory is not good enough to remember the details.

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Nine Respin 2
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 09:37:13 am »
If you're after volume key shortcuts on your keyboard, you could open Peppermint Control Center click on Keyboard Shortcuts and see if the keyboard key is in there, if not create your own. It'll come under amixer on the left and the keyboard shortcut on the right. Double click it to change it, by pressing the required key on your keyboard.
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline ceetee

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 09:05:45 pm »
Thank you for all your suggestions. It turns out the volume keys and mute button part of the hardware board was faulty. It's strange as the power button is on the same mini board. Guess that's what happens to old hardware. Fixed it from my old parts box.

Anyway, was all for nothing as some recent update broke the hell out of something software wise. Screwed up display, can't run xfce etc, lockups. Don't know what it was but whatever it was broke mint 19.1 32 bit xfce as well. I tried that for giggles after the the peppermint install was toast. Did a similar thing, ran great, then first update and then broken, but mint has a messed up screen until the login and after log in it just bombs out to the login all over again, where peppermint just locked up after login, if it even got to that.

I'm really not sure I need all this right now, it was meant to be a fun project. I might take a break, but thank you again.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 03:23:22 am »
Hi ceetee,

The problems you describe following an update sound very much like a (newly installed) kernel problem. Try using/booting to a previous kernel and see if the problems are still present.  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline ceetee

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 02:46:19 pm »
Yes, that was it! Thanks! The new kernel messed things up royally. Always learning something new!