Choose style:

Author Topic: Latitude e6430  (Read 1025 times)

Offline cfx795

• cab driver and computer novice
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Re: Latitude e6430
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2019, 12:01:02 pm »
I was just about to order that 15.6" case, but the first negative review I read is one guy saying the strap came undone as he's walking down the street and the corner of the laptop struck the concrete and... you know. Shattered screen and he has pictures of the horror of it all.  :o :o I know, I know, there are always the one-star and two-star reviews and disgruntled customers. But this guy didn't seem disgruntled, he just said: Do yourself a favor. Just get a backpack.

It was just sort of compelling.

In fact, how much inferior is a 6-cell battery from the 9-cell? If the battery was flush with the back edge of the computer, I could probably get a neoprene case and then put it in a dedicated backpack... Well, we'll see. Thanks for the input.

Of course... one could just use the handles, and disregard/remove the shoulder strap...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 12:28:12 pm by cfx795 »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2019, 03:04:11 am »
What about a carrying case? I was accustomed to carrying my Chromebook around in a neoprene sleeve that I put in my backpack. This laptop is a bit larger and heavier and bulkier, and it has that battery sticking out in the back. Perhaps I'll still use the Chromebook for carrying around in my backpack. The 14" Latitude is large enough that it might call for being carried around separately in it's own separate case - maybe it'll fit in the backpack. I dunno... :-\ :-\

I carry two (2) batteries with my E6430 - a six-cell standard battery, and a nine-cell slice battery. The standard battery lasts 3-4 hours (half a session), then I'm looking for an electrical outlet. The nine-cell slice battery (the one you're talking about that sticks an inch out the back) will last all day (full session).

The case I've been using for years will carry the E6430, both batteries, a charger w/AC cord, and wired ear buds, plus all the usual business items. It's a little snug, but everything fits like a glove, and it fits nicely under airline seats. The case I use is a "Swissgear LEGACY 16" WA-7640-02F00 Computer Case". *

It's the perfect shoulder bag, for the perfect laptop, but good luck finding one new. It's been out-of-production for awhile.

When I bought my case, they were selling for around $250.00 USD, but nobody uses briefcase bags these days. Everyone uses computer backpacks. So, the 'Legacy' cases fell out of favor.

* Talking about this case made me hungry for a backup. I just bought a used one on eBay $23.83 USD w/shipping. Been meaning to buy a second one, ever since when.

Thanks, for that!  LoL  :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2019, 04:12:50 am »
My point really was 'get whatever suits you' :)

That said, "the handle came off" sounds like bulls**t to me .. besides surely any sane person would check the strap stitching before using it (which is pretty much the only way I can see it breaking) and send it back if inferior.

As it's sold/fulfilled by Amazon (and not a third party) they generally just accept stuff back .. at least they do over here.

Plus I have to say my experience with other "Amazon Basics" stuff has been stellar so far, just what you'd expect no frills but solid and functional .. mainly just cables and stuff though.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 04:14:21 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2019, 12:20:43 am »
Plus I have to say my experience with other "Amazon Basics" stuff has been stellar so far, just what you'd expect no frills but solid and functional ..

Agreed. I think I paid $15 for these Amazon Basics USB-powered speakers that I have connected to my laptop dock. They're fine. But I'm not an audiophile, either. And various cables, a neoprene case for my Chromebook. All Amazon Basics stuff. All fine.

I'm thinking about ordering that 15.6" case you linked, and maybe both the 14" and 15.6" neoprene ('Basics) sleeve and just see which fits better with my 14" laptop, with whatever battery. I'm gonna get a 6-cell battery, so that I have the option of the smaller footprint. I have this feeling that - generally speaking - most of the places that I might take this laptop, I'm probably going to be within a few feet of a power outlet. Just a hunch. About 95% of the time.

Just as an aside, I feel like these machines are more portable than laptop. I mean, in the sense that, sure, you can put an Irish Wolfhound or a St. Bernard on your lap, technically speaking... (They used to call them "portable TV's" if they weren't bolted to the concrete floor and chained to the wall...) Well ok, it's a generic term, laptop, I get it.

But I do like this Dell laptop. When I ordered it, I thought well, maybe I'll put x-amount$$ into upgrading it... but I already had an SSD, I ordered the HDD caddy cover for a few bucks. Since it didn't ship with a HDD/OS it was also missing a couple of those bottom screws. I researched that and figured out they're m2.5x5. I ordered ten of those for $5. I also originally thought I'd upgrade the RAM. But like I said, monitoring my RAM usage on Peppermint 9... you know. Meh. 4GB suffices for now. I reserve the right to change my mind, of course. I'm honestly pretty happy with this laptop as-is and straight out of the box, so to speak.

Oh and I stumbled on your post about fixing screen tearing on Intel machines... thanks much for that!  ;D ;D It's a quick easy fix, and it worked on both my desktop and laptop computers...  I appreciate having an OS that's intuitive and "just works."  Thanks for all your good work!! 8) 8)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2019, 07:03:37 am »
You're most welcome, and also welcome to the "E Series" club .. they're great workhorses, and well suited to Linux because they came with an Ubuntu option :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 07:10:43 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2019, 10:11:21 am »
Is there any reason to buy the 65W (19.5V/3.34A) ac adapter, as opposed to the 90W (19.5V/4.62A) adapter? Smaller, fits better in your bag, perhaps? Does the 90W adapter charge the battery faster? I have a 90W adapter hooked up to my dock, but I thought I'd get another one to take with in the computer case... is there anything I'm missing, here?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 01:42:01 pm by PCNetSpec »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2019, 01:42:26 pm »
The 90w does indeed charge the battery faster .. I only have 90W chargers now.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2019, 07:54:27 pm »
The 90w does indeed charge the battery faster .. I only have 90W chargers now.

Dittos...

And, a Dell 130W PA-4E power supply for my Dell docking station.

90W isn't enough for both charging the battery + powering the dock.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 08:24:43 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Added Link »