Choose style:

Author Topic: Latitude e6430  (Read 854 times)

Offline cfx795

• cab driver and computer novice
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Latitude e6430
« on: April 11, 2019, 06:23:58 am »
I got a Latitude e6430 for $90. Works fine, I have it up and running PM9. It didn't come with a HDD or OS, just sort of bare drive bay or slot or whatever you call it. So I plugged my SSD in there and all seems well, so far. The SSD is, thus, unsecured in that drive bay, but I did order a HDD caddy cover. I should get that later today via USPS. Seems like there might be rubber rails or something that fit onto the sides of a HDD that would have originally fit into that drive slot? Do you need those for an SSD? I'm guessing I probably need some additional screws. I do have some computer screws, but mostly just for desktop cases, I don't know whether any of of them will be usable for this.

I think think this is one of those 9 cell batteries, sort of sticks out at the back of the computer? 97Wh?

I bought a dock, which looked great on paper. Not so much in practice. Just takes up quite a bit of space. I don't have much space.

I seem to be brushing my hand up against the touchpad when I'm typing and sometimes highlight/deleting what I just typed, or else some other funky business where I inadvertently close the browser or something. I guess I just have clumsy hands and I'm not used to this whole touchpad/keypad configuration. I'm trying to keep my hands away from the touchpad when I'm typing.

This machine came with 4GB RAM so I think I'll add some memory. Probably 8GB will do me. I have 16GB RAM in my desktop sort of "just because and why-not" but it's overkill - for me, I mean. I was going to look at what's already in there so that I know just what to order. Keep in mind I still haven't had this machine for 24hrs...

Maybe some other upgrades... backlit keypad, 2nd drive there where there's currently a disk drive. I know someone in this forum told me there's also improved WiFi to be had since this machine was built and originally sold.  :-\ :-\

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU~Dual core Intel Core i5-3340M (-MT-MCP-) speed/max~1312/3400 MHz Kernel~4.15.0-47-generic x86_64 Up~12:54 Mem~1269.3/3848.3MB HDD~64.0GB(13.2% used) Procs~203 Client~Shell inxi~2.3.56 

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Latitude e6430
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 09:24:38 am »
No you don't "need" those rubber rails, I have one machine without them but it does make lining up the SATA connectors easier, and also means the SATA connectors aren't taking the weight of the drive.

That said, you can pick those rubber rails up on ebay for next to nothing.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitude-E6330-E6530-E6430-E6540-E6440-E5440-7mm-Hard-Drive-Rubber-Rails/232354455115
or with the drive cover
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Dell-Latitude-E6330-E6430-6530-Hard-Drive-7mm-Rubber-rails-Cover/173856914646

You can set the touchpad to disable itself when typing .. run:
Code: [Select]
xfce4-mouse-settings
and on the

Device > Touchpad

tab, tick "Disable touchpad whilst typing", and set the "Duration" slider to the amount of time before it becomes active again.

Probably best not to mess with other settings in there as they might conflict with those in the Peppermint Control Center.

The wireless card you're talking about is an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260HMW

There are some 7260's that are NOT wireless-AC (only Wireless-N) .. so make 100% sure it says "Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260" as in the one on the right in this image:-

You do NOT want the one on the left.

That said, the one on the right is only going to give you increased speed if you also have a wireless AC router.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 09:04:31 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline MNFrozenfish

• Smile! - It makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin-64 bit / P10
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 09:25:53 am »
I've had good luck with the Dell e-series laptops, well built machines. I would suspect that the drive caddy would come with screws, at least I would hope so.  :-\  Worst case scenario you can borrow one of the screws that hold the bottom cover on to secure the caddy in the slot.
The docks are most useful, IMO, for desktop replacement type setups, with an external  monitor, keyboard and mouse. Then you can just dock and un-dock without worrying about all the peripheral connections. I haven't used a dock with a Peppermint machine, so I can't say for sure how well it will work but I would think it will be fine if you have a setup with external stuff. There have been several threads regarding the touchpad issue recently so you should be able to search some solutions here on the forum.

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 10:21:58 am »
You can set the touchpad to disable itself when typing .. run:
xfce4-mouse-settings
and on the

Device > Touchpad

tab, tick "Disable touchpad whilst typing", and set the "Duration" slider to the amount of time before it becomes active again.

Probably best not to mess with other settings in there as they might conflict with those in the Peppermint Control Center.

Oh good. That's a real simple fix to something that was causing me considerable consternation! Thanks!

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 11:34:50 am »
The docks are most useful, IMO, for desktop replacement type setups, with an external  monitor, keyboard and mouse. Then you can just dock and un-dock without worrying about all the peripheral connections.

Sure. I get it - now. I think I was actually (originally) thinking that the dock charged the laptop. Now I understand it's actually the other way around, the laptop powers the dock. I think if I didn't already have a very capable desktop system (eighth-gen i3/NVMe SSD/16GB RAM) I might be more inclined to go with the docking setup. Actually I do have two monitors, it occurs to me that I could set up one monitor with the dock and the other with the desktop system. Not sure what's the point (I live in a one-room apartment) but... yeah. I have two sets of speakers, also...

Actually I even have spare mouse/keyboard etc... lordie. I have a lot of stuff.

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 12:10:21 pm »
That said, the one on the right is only going to give you increased speed if you also have a wireless AC router.

Yeah good point. I'll have to look at all this stuff. I have a Motorola SBG6580.

I'm running some speed tests and this thing is pretty slow. Not the modem (ethernet) itself, but the wireless is pretty slow. I do have another modem that the cable company issued to me recently, I might feel inclined to upgrade to a wireless AC router. I believe this thing only broadcasts a, b, g and n. That's sort of sad and outdated, huh?

I didn't realize my WiFi was so slow. Well I'm not gonna bother upgrading my WiFi card until I upgrade my router!

Any thoughts about wireless routers? Anyone?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 12:38:11 pm by cfx795 »

Offline MNFrozenfish

• Smile! - It makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin-64 bit / P10
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 12:25:09 pm »
As far as the dock, the ones I am familiar with will charge/power the laptop if you plug your power supply into the dock.
lordie. I have a lot of stuff.
Common malady. ^^^   ;)

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 12:35:44 pm »
As far as the dock, the ones I am familiar with will charge/power the laptop if you plug your power supply into the dock.

Oh! You're right! I didn't see that! Thanks! That rather changes my thoughts about the whole docking setup!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 09:07:45 pm »
Any thoughts about wireless routers? Anyone?

If you're after Wireless-AC .. how much do you want to spend because they range in speed and price considerably.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 06:52:47 am »
If you're after Wireless-AC .. how much do you want to spend because they range in speed and price considerably.

Well the thing is... more that I think about it, it's probably not worth a lot to me. It'd definitely be less than $100 to answer your question in quick fashion.

My desktop computer connects directly via ethernet cable. I have the dock for the laptop, and so it could be that I'm also hard-connecting the laptop to the internet when I'm at home. (I really haven't thought about how I'm going to do this.) Otherwise I have a Chromebook that probably isn't upgradable beyond whatever it's got - probably wireless N. And then there's my iPhone, which... you know. I honestly don't care about the dang phone,

Probably more pertinent over speed might be range for the Latitude. Sometimes I pull up (I work nights) in the cab and use my own WiFi, which is positioned maybe 25 or 30ft from the street curb. There's that. My apartment is something like 200sq ft. It's not like I'm lounging around in one part (the toilet, perhaps?) or another (the bedroom/kitchen/living area) with whatever wireless device.

I dunno. It's hard to justify throwing a lot of money at this issue, given those considerations. I'm all about having the best technology I can afford. It's just that I can't afford much.

The Ookla broadband test registers usually around 180Mbps downstream and 8Mbps up. (<---it actually varies a bit. Occasionally slower than that.) With my current wireless setup I get 25 or 30Mbps down and the upstream number is pretty similar to the ethernet connection. I mean not great, but hardly insufferable, right?

I may have just talked myself out of it. The truth is that when I think about it, I could almost do without WiFi here at home...  :-\ :-\ Not that I will. I'm just saying.

So maybe the next question would be is it worth the upgrade to AC on the laptop for surfing at remote locations? Airports and hotels and coffee shops and... whatever?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 07:05:56 am by cfx795 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 07:10:57 am »
Probably not for most general 'web browsing', faster wifi really comes into its own for file transfers .. such as writing to/reading from a NAS or other device on the LAN.

[EDIT]

I mean right now I'm on my older E6520 which has wireless-N and is connected to my TP-Link Archer VR900 AC1900 router via the 2.4Ghz band .. and for regular web browsing I notice no difference between it an the E6530/E6540's that have wireless-AC connections on the 5Ghz band (okay OOKLA shows a faster speed, but it's not noticeable in general web browsing terms where a lot of other factors come into play such as how fast the webserver responds), the major difference is if when I say copy a large file to/from my NAS which is much faster over wireless AC.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 07:19:51 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 07:27:37 am »
Probably not for most 'web browsing', faster wifi really comes into its own for file transfers .. such as writing to/reading from a NAS.

Right. And yeah, I'm mostly just surfing the web. And with regard to the RAM issue. I could certainly easily upgrade to 8GB. But honestly, I've been monitoring it with sys info, and it takes a hell of a lot for me to max out 4GB of RAM on PM9. Lots and lots of tabs open, a second browser, still not there... I suppose I should thank the good folks at Peppermint for designing a (cough/ahem) lightweight OS??  :D :D I think my Chromebook comes a lot closer to maxing out its 4GB than this does...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 07:29:55 am by cfx795 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 07:35:40 am »
I'm 'tab lazy' .. I usually have tons of them open at once, thank god for Firefox's new tab search feature :)

When you have a lot of memory you tend to get lazy like that .. but it does come in handy some times not having to search history so much because you just leave stuff open :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 07:37:33 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 09:02:16 am »
What about a carrying case? I was accustomed to carrying my Chromebook around in a neoprene sleeve that I put in my backpack. This laptop is a bit larger and heavier and bulkier, and it has that battery sticking out in the back. Perhaps I'll still use the Chromebook for carrying around in my backpack. The 14" Latitude is large enough that it might call for being carried around separately in it's own separate case - maybe it'll fit in the backpack. I dunno... :-\ :-\

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 10:52:11 am »
I've just got a cheap general purpose 15.6" laptop case .. something like this
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-15-6-Inch-Laptop-Tablet-Case/dp/B00DUGZFWY

But there are 14" ones too
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-14-Inch-Laptop-Tablet-Bag/dp/B00DUGZFLK
amongst MANY others.

How much you spend on quality/protection I guess is down to how often you take it out and what you consider its value .. me, I rarely take the larger Dell's out, I have some smaller/lighter notebooks for that.

I generally only really take the larger Dells out if I know I'm gonna be sat at a desk with it .. so the case is just a transport protection really.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 10:59:30 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec