Choose style:

Author Topic: Killed By Google  (Read 371 times)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Killed By Google
« on: April 07, 2019, 11:20:36 pm »
I noticed that 'my' goo.gl API died, last week. So, I went searching. Damn you Google...

On March 30, 2018, we turned down support for goo.gl URL shortener. From April 13, 2018, only existing users were able to create short links on the goo.gl console. Analytics data was available for up to one year, until March 30, 2019, when goo.gl was discontinued. Previously created links will continue to redirect to their intended destination. Please see this blog post for more details.

Hrm... At least the old links will keep working for awhile  ::)

I bought a Google Fi phone, recently, fully aware that Google will probably shut off the Fi service someday. That's what they do.

Years ago, I used to scrape weather data off an undocumented Google weather API (weather data feed for iGoogle), for use in my somewhat popular Conky script. Google turned off that API, in the middle of the night, without notice, and sent me scrambling for a solution.

Anyway, while I was checking out their latest orphan, I ran across an interesting site:

Killed by Google

Thought you guys might find this site interesting, if you're as nerdy as I am  8)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 11:45:21 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Added Link »

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Killed By Google
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 05:20:40 pm »
I am sorta an inveterate google-phobe. I have disabled and force stopped most of google's apps on my Samsung phone. I did spend some time on google wave back in its day, just because it was so unusual. I did try Allo & Spaces in order to communicate with friends in Canada before our cell phone plans added free calling access, but couldn't get anyone to join.

the #gplusrefugee whining over on MeWe is finally tapering off. Yet there's a wave of new to MeWe folks who remained on g+ until the very last second of the api deletion. They baffle me.

:-\ 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 10:08:26 pm by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.