Choose style:

Author Topic: Irc.. I have done a bit of searching in the forums... Why is there no irc?  (Read 407 times)

Offline drakken

• nOOb
  • I have found my new #!. And this is better.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9_x64
Gents?

I have Pep sorted, :) installed and running like a dream on all of my 4 core computers. But I wonder why there is not an IRC channel to give active support. Forums are awesome. But could y'all look @ appointing IRC ambassadors? Freenode is pretty easy to sort out.  : :D I might be speaking to the older lads here on this one. But IRC helped me more than forums ever did. I know this is ubuntu stack distro, but is so different in it's own right. I could host an IRC server if needed.. I have an extra computer I could config and setup. I guess I miss the commandeer of the #! irc channel.. Crom left all to fast and this is a distro that is not only for the old guard, but for the new. Again, just a thought.
Thinkpad T430 (Pep 9), Thinkpad x220 (Pep9)
Home built AMD FX-6300-32GB ram- Nvidia GTX 750. Tri-monitor- Pep-9-64bit

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Hi drakken,

We have been asked this question many many a few times  :P   All the people who help out here on the Forums - do so in their own free time.  We decide to concentrate on just the Forums to consolidate that help.  If we open IRC and other media outlets we will dilute the help we are able to give.  We pride ourselves on being a responsive Forum and wish to keep that going.

Regards Zeb...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 05:30:06 am by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Hi drakken,

Just to expand on what zebedeeboss said, if people start raising issues and getting them solved on an IRC these solutions will not be saved/archived or searchable the way they are in a forum.  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline JosephM

• Developer
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
In my experience, unless you have a pretty large community of constantly active members in IRC it's of very limited use. It just leads to people getting a bit frustrated when they ask a question and get no responses or answers. It does have the benefit of a more direct conversation with someone while trying to figure out a problem but again the people have to be there. Also nowadays you really have better options like Slack, Telegram, etc. that actually keep the history you can go back and read without the need of setting up things like bouncers to view what you missed while you were away.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Agreed. Slack FTW  :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
We did have an IRC channel some years ago, but sadly it was always empty .. seemed a waste of manpower to attempt to monitor an empty channel, so we shut it down about 3 years ago :)

Every now and again someone pops up asking about IRC but IIRC you're only the second in three years.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Here's my belated Welcome to Peppermint and our Forum @drakken!

8)

I'll 2nd what others have already said about IRC... In most cases all the questions that can be asked of the forum have already been asked. Thus most issues can be resolved by taking a moment to search the forum archive before starting a new support request.  While PeppermintOS's devs and admins are spread around the world the team is small, our forum is responsive in ways that few others are. We hope you enjoy finding what you need here! 
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.