Choose style:

Author Topic: Linux Mint 19.2 'Tina' is on the way, but the devs seem defeated and depressed  (Read 2387 times)

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
Mint  and/or MX would be my next choice (after Peppermint) .. both of which have my support, admiration, and respect.

But the green/blue would have to go .. just a personal preference thing :)

Green bugs me on pretty much anything outside nature, and grey/blue UI's just bore the crap outa me.

Yes MX is my 2nd distro of choice, as Run-With-The-Dolphin has made pure Debian so easy to use. Like EB says install it, update it, install what you need, then leave it the hell alone to do it's thing.  ;D Same can be said for any distro.
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
... Like EB says install it, update it, install what you need, then leave it the hell alone to do it's thing.  ;D Same can be said for any distro.

I'm sorry to say, but this is so not true  ;)
I guess you're refering to Debian/Ubuntu derived distros, or is this also your experience with other bases?!
Even Debian based distros can be unstable, but I wouldn't know much about it... Peppermint is the only Debian/Ubuntu based distro I've ever used  ::)

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile

I'm sorry to say, but this is so not true  ;)
I guess you're refering to Debian/Ubuntu derived distros, or is this also your experience with other bases?!
Even Debian based distros can be unstable, but I wouldn't know much about it... Peppermint is the only Debian/Ubuntu based distro I've ever used  ::)

In my experience with MX Linux I should of been more clearer on what I was trying to say, MX Linux is derived from Debian, the Stable branch not Ubuntu based Debian, but Debian Stable alone and Run With The Dolphin and his team, have made it so virtually anyone can use it. Also it comes with an ISO backup built in, so you can save all your settings and your home folder into an ISO to maybe install onto other computers, or even re distribute it to your friends and family.
https://mxlinux.org/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MX_Linux  ;D

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
I think it was the last sentence pin objected to slim
Same can be said for any distro.
which isn't always true .. not all distros are as stable and easy to use as MX .. in fact IIRC someone once built a distro that INTENTIONALLY broke itself as a training exercise :) .. there are also distros that are INTENTIONALLY insecure for the same reason (penetration testing training).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 08:29:53 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
What I meant was the stable ones, not the stupid ones, that you have to configure, or recompile to get the actual OS to either boot, or do anything. I can't remember what Distro it was, but had to literally recompile the update manager and that was a learning experience, cause the instructions that were given, did not work and in the words of Zeb I too went next.  ;D

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Just because something is unstable, doesn't make it stupid.
I could go on about this for a looong time, but let me stick to just two examples.

Case 1 - My user case  :)
I prefer to use AwesomeWM, just AwesomeWM and build my system around it. So, I need a base to build it upon if I don't want to use LFS  ;)

Case 2 - The general user case
The stable distro/software you're using is stable because others before you used it and reported bugs and issues.

So, not so stupid.
This, https://qntm.org/suicide is stupid  :)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
Now that's insanity! :o
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline rayzer

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
i now have mint cinnamon on a usb in case i need to fix systems and also have bodhi and pep to mess about with when i get bored of debian. all good distros in their own ways..

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Now that's insanity! :o

Yeah weird what people get up to, in the Linux world. Would anyone really install it I wonder? I saw a video on how to destroy Windows, actually seeing it eat itself. I'll try and find it, as it was rather amusing.
:))

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Don't know if its true... but, I read it was some sort of competition to see who would run it for the longest period of time without blowing their system  :D

WHY  :o

Well, at least one could use a virtual machine  :D

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
People are weird .. I thought Linux people were the exception ???
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec