Choose style:

Author Topic: Linux Mint 19.2 'Tina' is on the way, but the devs seem defeated and depressed  (Read 1807 times)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
A little bit off topic: In Feng Shui, the color Green stands for growth. It is said to be great for websites and Linux distributions (Manjaro is green too).

0.o

There's that 'G' word, again.

Here we go (grabs popcorn)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Mint is the distro I recommend to people who want to give Linux a try because all you need is already installed and there is a big community.

To me, of all the distributions I've seen, Linux Mint Cinnamon edition is the one most similar in appearance to Windows 7.  And, like you say, it's got just about everything already preinstalled.   I've recommended it too at times for newbies who are a little afraid in the beginning of making the switch.
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline Fritz74

• m, 45, Austria
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9, 10
There is one depressing thing about Mint that has not been mentioned yet: Their logo is suboptimal.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Wassup with their logo ?

And do you mean their old one, or the new one ?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 03:16:03 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Fritz74

• m, 45, Austria
    • View Profile
It is too detailed and the details are without meaning. Luckily they are getting a new one:
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/03/linux-mint-is-working-on-a-new-logo

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Well ours isn't brilliant at 16x16 (favicon size), but it is what it is .. not gonna change it just to sharpen a favicon nobody really cares about :)

That said, if Mint want a branding refresh, good luck to them .. everyone does it at some point :)
(wonder how long till we change again :)))
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
Yeah but why green? Of all the colours of the rainbow, somebody somewhere chose green, to have in their Linux Distro. I wonder if they asked Paul the Octopus, to pick a colour, or at least to make a prediction, of what the colours of different Linux OSES were to be. :))
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 05:26:44 am by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
It is too detailed and the details are without meaning. Luckily they are getting a new one:
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/03/linux-mint-is-working-on-a-new-logo

Hmm I prefer the white lettering on a dark background. Whenever I had installed the XFCE version, especially in the new 18.04  Linux Mint. I always pick that particular one from pixmaps folder. Just because mint is associated with green, it does not have to be. So glad that Linux Mint finally had gotten different coloured, styled logos, in their OS. Maybe adding these, to give users more choice? Or to maybe leave it to the users to decide?

This one is actually in pixmaps folder in 18.04.1 version of Mint.  ;D
https://www.opendesktop.org/p/1192589/

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 06:01:25 am by clatterfordslim »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Yeah I'm not a big fan of green either, though it's said to be quite calming .. but artwork is ALWAYS subjective, and oddly can be WAY more emotive than it has any right to be :-\

Thinking about it .. I wonder if  people with red/green colour blindness have trouble telling us apart ? :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 07:13:04 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Yeah I'm not a big fan of green either, though it's said to be quite calming .. but artwork is ALWAYS subjective, and oddly can be WAY more emotive than it has any right to be :-\

Thinking about it .. I wonder if  people with red/green colour blindness have trouble telling us apart ? :)

I find green too in your face, with some Linux Distros. I'm coloured blind apparently, as would of loved to of been a electrician. I just found the path not to be there, in those colour blindness books. I could only see yellows, blues, but oranges which were actually known as red, but were orange to me. The red you have for Peppermint, I know and can see it as red. The amount of colours out there now, especially cars, with their different coloured tones in certain light, they change colour and to name these colours is a total different kettle of fish?  ;D

Offline Fritz74

• m, 45, Austria
    • View Profile
Maybe the Mint devs are unhappy because it's not easy being green.

And aesthetics are of course subjective. In my opinion, logos should represent something. Like an apple, or a window, or a rodent or one of those sweets, they are selling at amusement parks.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Good one!  You hit that one out of the park, Fritz74. ;D

I wonder if all this chatter could be sending people who had left Ubuntu to Mint back to Ubuntu again.  Firstly, Ubuntu is not green -- it's purple, and, secondly, Ubuntu seems to be getting better and better again as if it's catching a second wind after moving back to GNOME.  Just wondering... :-\

I also know that there are those who have used Mint who have migrated to Peppermint too, or who now use both Mint and Peppermint concurrently.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Mint  and/or MX would be my next choice (after Peppermint) .. both of which have my support, admiration, and respect.

But the green/blue would have to go .. just a personal preference thing :)

Green bugs me on pretty much anything outside nature, and grey/blue UI's just bore the crap outa me.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 04:38:37 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
I have to admit, though, that Ubuntu GNOME is more user-friendly than Ubuntu Unity.  And between GNOME and Cinnamon, I don't know, but at least for me, GNOME is easier to get around than Cinnamon.  I don't really find Cinnamon's menu, or especially its panel, all that user-friendly regarding customization.  That said, Cinnamon is visually appealing if one's going for a Windows-like appearance.  Also its desklet clock is pretty darn impressive.

Offline Fritz74

• m, 45, Austria
    • View Profile
Many people seem to love Gnome. I tried it some years ago and it felt alien to me. I am happy with everything that looks and behaves like the panel in Windows 7.