Choose style:

Author Topic: Linux Mint 19.2 'Tina' is on the way, but the devs seem defeated and depressed  (Read 2236 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada ms.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
..back then it was Peppermint 7 that caught my eye, then 8, now of course 9 respin2.

Peppermint 6 as well as the first rendition of Peppermint 7 were aesthetic masterpieces.  I can understand why Peppermint 7 caught your eye, clatterfordslim.  It certainly caught mine too.

These days I'm gaga over our selection of wallpapers from Ray Bilcliff.   His images are spectacular, and I've become a serious fan of his work. ;)

As for Mint, I like its Dragonfly wallpaper which has the LM as its head.  I find that image interesting.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 05:25:52 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
..back then it was Peppermint 7 that caught my eye, then 8, now of course 9 respin2.

Peppermint 6 as well as the first rendition of Peppermint 7 were aesthetic masterpieces.  I can understand why Peppermint 7 caught your eye, clatterfordslim.  It certainly caught mine too.

I'm on Peppermint 7, as I type...

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
╭─vindsl@Chi-You ~ 
╰─$ inxi -Fxxxz
System:    Host: Chi-You Kernel: 5.0.0-13-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 8.3.0)
           Desktop: N/A info: xfce4-panel dm: lightdm Distro: Peppermint Seven
Machine:   System: Dell (portable) product: Latitude E6430 v: 01
           Mobo: Dell model: N/A Bios: Dell v: A23 date: 11/30/2018
           Chassis: type: 9
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i7-3540M (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 11960
           clock speeds: min/max: 1200/3700 MHz 1: 1653 MHz 2: 1575 MHz
           3: 1630 MHz 4: 1580 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0166
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.6 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.01hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.3.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 chip-ID: 8086:1e20
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k5.0.0-13-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (Lewisville)
           driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: f080
           bus-ID: 00:19.0 chip-ID: 8086:1502
           IF: eno1 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel Wireless 7260
           driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 02:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:08b1
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 570.1GB (4.5% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_850 size: 250.1GB serial: S2R5NB0HB27540R
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: Hitachi_HTS72323 size: 320.1GB serial: 081006FC1400NEG6P7JD
Partition: ID-1: / size: 20G used: 5.6G (30%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
           ID-2: /home size: 59G used: 18G (32%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda7
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 0.54GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda8
RAID:      System: supported: N/A
           No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
           Unused Devices: none
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 57.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 193 Uptime: 1:47 Memory: 1218.0/7877.2MB
           Init: systemd v: 229 runlevel: 5 default: 2 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (zsh 5.1.1 running in x-terminal-emul) inxi: 2.2.35
╭─vindsl@Chi-You ~ 
╰─$
[close]

Talk about being depressing experiences...

Man, I can't wait to get back home, to my family. I haven't even had time to check my email, in days. I see why they don't let people open the windows in these hotels.  8)

Got a 'red eye' in the morning. God willing, and the creek don't rise, I'll be back in Arizona, at least. I've been turning the thermostats up to 80F, to keep my azz from 'freezing'.

Poor me, right? But, I digress. Just felt like typing to a friendly crowd, I guess.

Ignore the above. It's therapeutic for me, that's all.

Okay, back at it. Carry on...

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
80F? ??? People around these parts complain about a thermostat set that high. It's interesting how your definition of "comfortable" not only varies by person, but also by where you're from. I'll be any temperature outside under 100F isn't even what you guys consider warm.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
And then there's us wet and miserable brits :(
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
And then there's us wet and miserable brits :(

Yep I can concur, rain for the majority of this week, I think we had our Summer at Easter Mark?  :(
Just hope that my new build parts get here on Friday, as it's going to be a windy week. The boats to the Island don't like too much wind, so they stop them, health and safety first.  ;D
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Ouch, that's not something I'd considered before slim, and I bet is a pain.

Still there'll be no offshore wind soon, it'll all be collected .. though the boats are gonna need to do some dodging :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
Heh, guess my alarm werx. It's 2:15 AM here in Vegas.

I'm still getting used to this phone, so I chose a 'Rooster Alarm' device tone, and set the alarm times for every 15 minutes, starting @ 2:00 AM. LoL

Looks like Chris is back (or is he?)  :)

I'm a desert rat. I prefer 90-100F outdoors and 80ish indoors. After 100F, the heat is on.  105F and above is deadly (for Caucasians) so one needs to seek shelter. The clock is ticking, so to speak. You know when you're in trouble when you stop sweating.  ::)

Guess I better get with it. I got a ride coming. BBL
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:45:29 am by VinDSL »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Hi VinDSL,

I know what you mean about temps over 105 F: several years ago I was doing a five day hike in AZ and on the last day the temp got up to 109 F (42.8 C) !!  :o   Fortunately, we were hiking along a little stream (that actually had water in it -- for those not acquainted with AZ, streams often do not have any water in them) and every 20-30 minutes we would take off out backpacks and lay down on our backs in the stream for several minutes, then get up and continue the hike. It worked really well !!  ;D

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
Well, when you think about... normal human body temp is 100 F, give or take. I tend to run a degree lower - others a degree higher. That's normal.

I studied the US Navy Dive Tables, back when I was into SCUBA diving. The 'perfect' ambient temperatures (if you will) for humans is 88 F in air, and 92 F in water. Without turning this into a 'white paper', they determined that by how long divers could maintain their body temp (98.6 F) sitting naked for 24 hours, at rest, in air and in water. At 88 F in air, and 92 F in water, one can maintain their normal body temperature indefinitely.

My take away, having lived in Arizona my whole life is, 105 F is the breaking point. The closer one gets to 105 in air, the more uncomfortable one will become. However, 105 F and above, given enough time, WILL kill you - guaranteed.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
Hi VinDSL,

I know what you mean about temps over 105 F: several years ago I was doing a five day hike in AZ and on the last day the temp got up to 109 F (42.8 C) !!  :o   Fortunately, we were hiking along a little stream (that actually had water in it -- for those not acquainted with AZ, streams often do not have any water in them) and every 20-30 minutes we would take off out backpacks and lay down on our backs in the stream for several minutes, then get up and continue the hike. It worked really well !!  ;D

I've done that many, many times, my friend. And, I have a little story to tell you  ;D

A friend and I were riding our Trials Bikes in a deep canyon (Cave Creek Canyon, below Seven Springs, actually) in the middle of summer, and the heat was so stifling, we did as you described above.

I actually found a little 'water fall' about 5 feet wide, and a couple of feet tall, with a tiny, body-sized pool below it. I was soooo hot, I stripped down to my underwear and laid under it with only my nose and mouth above water. It was great, and I thought, "Man, this is the life. I could lay here forever."

When I sat up, I was cover with 100s of leeches.  :o

OMG! My friend had to spend about a half-hour pulling them off of me, with a pocket comb.

It was one of the most humiliating experiences in my entire lifetime. LoL!

Offline MNFrozenfish

• Smile! - It makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin-64 bit / P10

I'm a desert rat. I prefer 90-100F outdoors and 80ish indoors. After 100F, the heat is on.  105F and above is deadly (for Caucasians) so one needs to seek shelter. The clock is ticking, so to speak. You know when you're in trouble when you stop sweating.  ::)

I'm thinking you should stay away from Minnesota then, we may see 32F (0C) again by the weekend, maybe a snow flake or 2 as well.  :o ::)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Plenty of snowflakes over here too .. oh sorry, I see what you mean ;)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline MNFrozenfish

• Smile! - It makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin-64 bit / P10
Plenty of snowflakes over here too .. oh sorry, I see what you mean ;)

:D ;D

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
Ouch, that's not something I'd considered before slim, and I bet is a pain.

Still there'll be no offshore wind soon, it'll all be collected .. though the boats are gonna need to do some dodging :)

My Corsair computer case arrived unscathed today, surprised the boats never stopped, with all that wind?
Ram, PSU, Noctua Processor cooler, is all coming by Friday. I have this weekend off work, so be building it then. ;D
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline Fritz74

• m, 45, Austria
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Came to read about Clem being depressed, stayed to read about life in alien parts of the USA. ;)

Mint is the distro I recommend to people who want to give Linux a try because all you need is already installed and there is a big community. Peppermint is what I am using myself because it feels a tiny bit faster. Also, there is the possibility to change the size of items on the desktop at will, which I find very convenient.

A little bit off topic: In Feng Shui, the color Green stands for growth. It is said to be great for websites and Linux distributions (Manjaro is green too).