Choose style:

Author Topic: Linux Mint 19.2 'Tina' is on the way, but the devs seem defeated and depressed  (Read 1872 times)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Linux Mint 19.2 'Tina' is on the way, but the developers seem defeated and depressed
By Brian Fagioli - BetaNews, Published 4/1/2019  [Updated 4/2/2019]

Today should be happy times for the Linux Mint community, as we finally learn some new details about the upcoming version 19.2! It will be based on Ubuntu 18.04 and once again feature three desktop environments -- Xfce, Mate, and Cinnamon. We even found out the code name for Linux Mint 19.2 -- "Tina." And yet, it is hard to celebrate. Why? Because the developers seem to be depressed and defeated. They even appear to be a bit disenchanted with Free Software development overall.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
It's a shame Clem feels that way. Mint is a great distribution. If not for Peppermint, I'd be running Mint. It's what I was running when I found Peppermint.

If he feels that way, maybe he should find someone to hand development over to.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
I quit using and supporting Linux Mint back in 2009, when Clem 'kindly asked' those that support Israelís defense against Hamas and other Palestinian terrorists to stop using and supporting his distro. To wit...

Quote from: Clement Lefebvre
Iím only going to ask for one thing here. If you do not agree I kindly ask you not to use Linux Mint and not to donate money to it.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Hm, I never knew about that. I used it briefly in 2010, before I found Peppermint. It was love at first sight with Peppermint, so the rest is history.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Like most things in the press this is probably being overblown. if you go looking for things to support your position you can find them for anything.

All I take from this is

a) Big projects find change difficult because they're tied to current user expectations, and people don't like change.

b) When you spend a cycle doing something that's necessary (such as improvements to the underlying code) rather than revolutionary (immediately visible to users), people call you 'boring'.

c) The press actively seek negativity and are willing to misrepresent it via 'opinion pieces' .. sadly positivity doesn't seem to garner as many clicks (and hence self promotion and advertising revenue).

d) Developers are human too .. slag them off when they do what they do FOR THE COMMUNITY, for free, and for the love of it, and don't be surprised when they 'feel' that negativity.

Seriously, I don't put much store in this opinion piece .. Mint devs will ALWAYS have my support, they've contributed a LOT to Linux/FOSS and by extension Peppermint and our community.

What is it about the Linux 'press' of late ? .. where's the positivity, including developer support and thanks ? .. is Linux success drawing in negative types and the 'press' pandering to that negativity as clickbait ?
(thankfully the comments section of that 'article' is pretty developer supportive .. so negativity is probably not a general community held sentiment)

I've said it before, in a lot of ways I'm glad we're small, we haven't 100th the pressure the bigger distros have to change without changing, and being slagged off no matter what they do .. luckily we tend to generally get positivity from our community, but I'm guessing it's just a numbers game rather than anything we're doing differently.

[EDIT]

We should start a "Hug a dev day" to show our appreciation :)
(I doubt they'll thank me for that)

Oh, and for those that may try to spin this negatively .. I'm not a developer, I'm just a 'pull it all together' distro builder who respects developers and understands non of this would be possible without them.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 10:08:35 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
Like most things in the press this is probably being overblown.

For sure. I'm a 4th generation newspaper guy, in the real world, so I know how the game's played.

Fagioli is a shiz stirrer. Witness an article of his, from three weeks ago:

GNOME 3.32 'Taipei' is finally here! The best Linux desktop environment gets even better

Quote from: Brian Fagioli - BetaNews on 13 Mar 2019
Whether or not a desktop environment is "best" is subjective. In other words, not all people prefer the same DE. Some folks like GNOME, others are KDE Plasma fans, and some Linux users choose something else. With that said, GNOME is the best. It is not debatable -- please accept this fact. GNOME simply offers the most sensical user interface while also being beautiful.

Bwahahahahahaha! Fagioli is obviously throwing a firecracker on the ant hill, with that declaration  ;D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 03:28:50 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Clarification »

Offline rayzer

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
my problem with mint is that theres so much done for you initially that it removes all the fun of setting up a distro, that and the desktop layout, theme etc doesnt change a whole lot. its a boring distro if you  like to tweak stuff

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
A lot would see that as a  positive :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
They're one of various distros where I had issue with the number of preinstalled packages. But, that can be taken care of. It's just more to do after installation. That's one thing that's always attracted me to Peppermint, minimal installed software by default.

Offline JosephM

• Developer
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
I can tell you that article is definitely a bit overblown. Little things happen every cycle that effect what gets done. A lot of them just seemed to line up and happen all at once this time around. When you have a large project with lots of people involved these things are going to happen on occasion.

Offline rayzer

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
been playing around with mint cinnamon the last few days, its gotten a much needed facelift and looks much better now. some software choices are a bit weird i think but overall i like it, not sure if i prefer it or the mate edition

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Mint is a great distro (hence why we steal use a lot of their components), even better now I gather they've gotten rid of the update 'levels' (which was the only thing I didn't really like), or am I wrong about that ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline JosephM

• Developer
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
They were hidden away in the last release. They will be gone completely in this one.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Good call .. I never did like those, even though I kinda 'got' it.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
Mint is a great distro (hence why we steal use a lot of their components), even better now I gather they've gotten rid of the update 'levels' (which was the only thing I didn't really like), or am I wrong about that ?

Linux Mint, has always been good to me, as I had it installed on a 640GB external hard drive and took it with me where ever there was a computer, I could get my very large hands on. The only gripes I had with Mint, was the software was not up to date and I agree the update manager, a lot of paranoia, of their OS breaking. In the end I got fed up with everything being green, as I do with Ubuntu Mate and yes I get it, with Mint you associate the colour green, but a lot of people like the colour green and that's their choice, but even Ubuntu Mate has green and that had more software, back then than Mint did. I changed the colour green to Blue, even found some Ambient-Blue-Icons, which someone had rewritten the whole lot, pixel by pixel in GIMP. Because I was using The Mate version of Mint, I wondered if the Ubuntu Mate themes would work and they did, right out of the bag.

I originally loved Ubuntu Mate and before that Mint, but was not that keen in my Mint days of dark themes, Ubuntu Mate came along and although, to begin with it only had Ambient-MATE, in later releases, with the help of Linux& Other Stuff, who made a darker theme for Ubuntu Mate. I of course had to change the colour of it, to a nice blue, (the selection colour that is) though the Welcome and Software Boutique has green written into it's DNA and cannot be changed. I asked if there was any way that Ambient-Mate theme could maybe have different colour options? Ambient-MATE Blue, Ambient-MATE Red. But got no answer. So for a while I flipped between Mint Mate and Ubuntu Mate. I still like them both, but once I saw what Peppermint had to offer, I was hooked and back then it was Peppermint 7 that caught my eye, then 8, now of course 9 respin2.  I thank English Bob, for introducing me to Peppermint, I have never looked back. I still have a look at other Distros, but install them on my spare hard drive, use them for a few days, but  spend the majority of my time here on the Pep, cause no matter what other Distro I look at, The Pep is always on my mind and will never go away.  ;D
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)