Choose style:

Author Topic: Need 1366x768 mode to install on Atom machines  (Read 1306 times)

Offline TigerBook

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
Need 1366x768 mode to install on Atom machines
« on: August 10, 2014, 10:17:35 am »
Hello;

I love Peppermint and want to use it on a line of computers I  am getting ready for Educational use.

One problem ... Peppermint, as with almost all Linux installers, shows the splash screen, then blanks the video, and never restores it.
One Linux, CentOS, installed, but only by using  a lower res mode. No one's installer found the 1366x768 mode and ran normally. They all blank the screen and never restore it.

Windows 7, though, finds the resolutions and looks very elegant. (I spit on the ground after saying that). So it can be done.

The chipset is the Intel GMA 3600, and is a major pain [snip].

The Chinese have taken this CPU/chipset model and are running with it. They are shipping 20,000 machines a week, all with Windows. And that's just one manufacturer.

Within 6 months, Atom-based machines will be everywhere, not just the little 10.2" Netbooks. The models I have in front of me are 13.3" laptops that look great. All they need is a fine Linux distro to work and we can reach millions of people that right now, Windows has to itself.

I'd love to see Peppermint solve the problem first. I'll certainly use it on all my machines.

I can only ask.

- Craig Morehouse
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 11:21:33 am by PCNetSpec, Reason: removed offensive lannguage »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Need 1366x768 mode to install on Atom machines
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 11:30:42 am »
Firstly, this forum has visitors of all ages and thickness of skin, now whilst I personally don't get easily offended there are people out there that do .. so please can we have less "pain in the *ss", and more "pain", or even "PITA" .. TIA :)
(I've fixed your revious posting for you)

You're right .. GMA3600 and Linux *IS* a pain, and not something that can be dealt with by "distro" developers .. Imagination Tech (who license the GMA3600 and GMA500 poulsbo PowerVR chips to Intel) refuse to open source the drivers or provide (or even allow Intel to provide) Linux drivers, or give any technical details that might help the community write open source drivers.

The community and kernel devs have to an extent written some open sourced drivers, but they're not very good and missing a LOT of features.
(Intel really need to drop PowerVR)

Anyway .. that said, what's the problem here .. not being able to boot at all, as this suggests:-

Peppermint, as with almost all Linux installers, shows the splash screen, then blanks the video, and never restores it.

Or that Peppermint is working, but you just want a higher resolution as the title suggests ?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 11:41:50 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec