Choose style:

Author Topic: How Much Did YouTube Pay Me for 1 Million Views?  (Read 655 times)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
How Much Did YouTube Pay Me for 1 Million Views?
« on: March 31, 2019, 02:59:26 pm »
Saw this in Martin Wimpress' Twitter feed, yesterday (13:31 video)

Interesting!  :)

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Re: How Much Did YouTube Pay Me for 1 Million Views?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 05:36:31 pm »
hopefully someone will just type what he made, so i don't have to watch a 13 minute video to get a figure i could see in print n about 1.5 seconds....    lol     :-)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 06:36:21 pm »

I skipped ahead.

So, more than I earn a month for one friggin' video. There are people who routinely post videos that get massive views like that. I guess that explains why people quit their day jobs and do YouTube full time. Me, I couldn't think of enough interesting content to do that. But, more power to the people who can. (though, some content "creators" just copy what others are saying to try and get their views up, but most are actually really good at what they do)

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 08:04:18 am »
not worth the time and energy for that low of an amount, they should pay 10% of the views, 1 million views = $100,000
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 08:39:38 am »
Yeah, making videos is a lot of work, and a lot of videos don't get that kind of viewership. That's why a lot of full time YouTubers do multiple videos a week. Usually tens of thousands of views, which probably amounts to less than a hundred bucks. He said he made 550 on a day where he had over 200,000 views. But, that's how some people choose to live. You just have to be careful to keep both subscribers and casual viewers happy, and both bunches can be fickle. Plus, YouTube can spontaneously decided to demonetize a video, at which point you get nothing for your efforts. At least working 8 hours at a regular job, I know I'm getting paid for my time.

Offline stevesveryown

• Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8, 9 & 10!!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 12:12:45 am »
As a YouTuber I do not monatize my channel.  I have only been doing this for 10 months and have 232 subscribers to date.  My channel is not super fancy but I do have a loyal following.  Personally I say to hell with the algorithms.  My live streams are geared toward my followers and I would rather have the subscribers I have at this point than several thousands just so I could make some extra cash.  For me, YouTube is not a job.  I have fun doing what I do.  I want to keep it that way.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 02:27:08 am »
Hi stevesveryown,

Youtube needs more people like yourself -- keep up the great work!!  ;) 8)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 02:54:14 am »
Yeah, I have a lot of respect for people who just make videos to make them and get information out there. Those are usually the better videos. I don't have a problem with monetized channels, but I do wish there was a way to plan the ad breaks better. They seem to happen mid sentence. The ones who really irritate me are the ones with monetized channels that also beg for money on Patreon at the end of their videos. You're already making money from YouTube, I watched your video with ads, and you want to ask for more? Get a job.

I follow a gaming channel by a guy who does a couple videos a week and has a full time job as a teacher. I don't even think his videos are monetized, he just makes them because he likes doing it. He's approaching 80,000 subs

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 09:24:53 am »
The second money is involved it corrupts .. now I'm not suggesting it necessarily corrupts the content or the honesty of the channel owner, but it (quite rightly) changes the way people view the content and question motives.

From a viewer perspective I liked YT more before it became a way to make money .. it just felt more 'honest', and in a way 'of the people'.

Now I'm not saying it's right or wrong to monetize (who am I to make that call, and there's no correct one size fits all answer anyway) .. just that it changes things, most often for the worse, specially where the channel owner comes to rely on that revenue, and even if it's just perception.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 09:26:28 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 07:12:11 pm »
Some people with monetized channels will post a video and babble about almost anything for those views. ::)

Offline stevesveryown

• Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8, 9 & 10!!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 12:35:18 pm »
Hi stevesveryown,

Youtube needs more people like yourself -- keep up the great work!!  ;) 8)

Regards,

-- Slim
Thank you, Slim. The support from the Pepp community is amazing. I try to do our Pepp right every day.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2019, 01:16:50 pm »
As a YouTuber I do not monatize my channel.  I have only been doing this for 10 months and have 232 subscribers to date.  My channel is not super fancy but I do have a loyal following.  Personally I say to hell with the algorithms.  My live streams are geared toward my followers and I would rather have the subscribers I have at this point than several thousands just so I could make some extra cash.  For me, YouTube is not a job.  I have fun doing what I do.  I want to keep it that way.

I don't either, though saying that I might through Facebook, when my new build gets finally built this summer, do a live gig stream with the band I'm in. Optional donations, don't know yet. ;D
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)