Choose style:

Author Topic: It Can Be Frustrating Sometimes  (Read 560 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
It Can Be Frustrating Sometimes
« on: March 29, 2019, 06:53:14 pm »
It can be frustrating sometimes being a Linux gamer. Now, it's a lot better than it was 10 years ago. When I started using Linux in 2009, you had the games in the repositories. However, with Windows 8 and its tablet style interface coming out, Gabe Newell of Valve made the bold announcement in 2012 that he was going to port Steam to Linux, and that changed everything. Now both Steam and GOG have games for Linux and it's fantastic. But, it's not perfect. Take this for example:

https://www.gog.com/game/warcraft_bundle

That's a great deal, two classic games. Both are DOS games, so they should easily be able to be ported to Windows, Mac and Linux. All you have to do is release it in a custom DOSBox configured to play those games. And, many DOS games have been released for all three major operating systems, as it's no more difficult to do for one than it is for the others. But, then you get stuff like this that gets released. Windows only.  ::) So, it's frustrating, especially considering that there's no reason in the world to not have Linux (and Mac) versions of these classic games.

Of course, people will find a way to make things work:

https://www.gog.com/forum/warcraft_ii_battlenet_edition/linux_works_fine_using_wine

But, why should we have to use WINE because lazy people releasing this stuff can't do a simple port? And, unfortunately with GOG, it's not a simple matter of installing it in Windows or WINE, grabbing the files and then just running it manually in DOSBox because of the way they package it. I've actually done that with a Steam game running in DOSBox before.

Ugh. Anyway, just a bit of complaining here. ;)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: It Can Be Frustrating Sometimes
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 08:45:11 pm »
It's a TON better now though .. at least with Valve/Steam/Proton/Vulkan :)

Linux is getting there .. even if it is with Windows games rather than native.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 10:24:37 pm »
Oh yeah. I remember looking through the repositories back in the day trying to find stuff I actually wanted to play. ::) I also remember trying stuff like the (unofficial, but supported) Linux install of  Neverwinter Nights. It was a pain to get running but worth it once I did. Now I just have to install this:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/704450/Neverwinter_Nights_Enhanced_Edition/

So, yeah, definitely a lot better. I just hate seeing those classic games not getting a Linux release, especially since DOSBox probably runs better on Linux anyway.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 11:32:37 pm »
Not being a gamer makes for such a frustration free life sometimes :)

Others on the other hand spend hours pulling funny faces and shouting at their screen when they can't 'level up' .. and enjoy it :-\
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 11:35:15 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 12:04:14 am »
I'm more of a casual gamer. I have a lot of games, but I don't spend every waking moment playing games. In fact, I just played a game for around an hour or more on my Playstation 4, it was the first real gaming session of any length that I've had for a while.

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Nine Respin 2
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 01:16:54 pm »
I'm more of a casual gamer. I have a lot of games, but I don't spend every waking moment playing games. In fact, I just played a game for around an hour or more on my Playstation 4, it was the first real gaming session of any length that I've had for a while.

I don't game that much, but love to when I can here in Peppermint. I'm currently shopping for a PC case, that has plenty of room for air to circulate, without the need for liquid cooling, cause my new build is going to be a Ryzen build, the Ryzen 5 2600 processor with 16GB of 3000Mhz of Ram, 500GB of SSD which will house Peppermint and 1TB SSD for Home Folder. Plus for now will just use my 1050ti for gaming. I already have As Rock B450-M Pro 4 Ryzen Motherboard, Ryzen 5 2600 CPU should be here tomorrow. Then it's just the Ram and power supply, plus case to get. I've made a saving, cause the SSD's I'm already using, the 1050ti is more than capable enough to run the latest games, especially the new Tomb Raider game Shadow Of The Tomb Raider, which Feral Interactive are porting to us this year and Life Is Strange Two. Feral Interactive are so good with their game ports and the power of the Pep will bring my games even more to life, especially live streaming, without the need of Nvenc. ;D Hope to live stream not just games, but the band I'm in too with a live gig, for a few hours.

Compared to how gaming used to be here in Linux, it's come an awful long way. Through Proton or SteamPlay am able to play Grand Theft Auto 5 GTA San Andreas, GTA3 too, nearly out of the bag. :) If you told me ten years ago that I would be able to play AAA games in Linux, I would of laughed in your face, but now we have Valve, CodeWeavers, WINE all collaborating together, plus the hard work that AMD and Nvidia have put in, for Linux. I think the future is bright, for gaming. Plus the fantastic porters out there too. I'll be making a video on my new build, whilst building it and a video on installing Peppermint OS on it too, showing how to set it up, if using Nvidia Cards, which I'll be, as there is no onboard graphics with the Ryzen 5 2600, so you need a dedicated card. I'm looking forward to this Summer.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 02:19:34 pm by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 01:33:40 pm »
I'm currently shopping for a PC case, that has plenty of room for air to circulate, without the need for liquid cooling

Mountain Mods FTW: https://www.mountainmods.com/gallery/ (Mountain Mods User Gallery)

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 04:04:16 pm »
They look really nice, but too shiny and way too RGB. I'm actually looking for one without tempered glass or RGB. I just want it to sit in the corner of my room, without all the pizazz, cause all you see these days are computers that light up like Blackpool illuminations :D and my computer which is a Zalman case has blue RGB, but not blinding me every time I put it on. Thank you anyway, blooming nice community here, which is why I love this site so much. ;D

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 08:13:13 pm »
Understood.

Yeah, Mountain Mods cases aren't for everyone, that's for sure.

I just did an engine swap on mine. LoL  :D

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 03:37:37 am »
clatterfordslim is also from this side of the pond VinDSL :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 07:25:45 am »
Oh, okay.

Well, as with the diminutive Zalmans, Mountain Mods are made of aluminum panels (with acrylic windows) and held together with thumb screws, and they have LOTS of breathing room.

MM cases, themselves, doesn't weigh much, nor take up a lot of space when taken apart, if one is worried about shipping costs.

If someone "is currently shopping for a PC case, that has plenty of room for air to circulate, without the need for liquid cooling" nothing beats a Mountain Mods IMO, That's because they're designed for liquid cooling, with room for radiators, pumps, hoses and such. I've always air-cooled mine, but at least the possibility for liquid cooling is there, if need be.

Hell, mine will easily hold fifteen (15) 5.25" drives, and dual-power supplies, plus liquid cooling. How's that for "plenty of room" LoL  :D

Not trying to twist any arms. Just saying...

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 10:28:38 am »
Hell, mine will easily hold fifteen (15) 5.25" drives, and dual-power supplies, plus liquid cooling. How's that for "plenty of room" LoL  :D

Not trying to twist any arms. Just saying...

Holy Nasal hair, yes that is massive and very airy, but extreme too. My Zalman had to be redone, to let air in and out. Took all the glass out to let air in, I clean it out every three months to get dust bunnies out. Just after a normal mid tower no bling, or RGB, just something that has air flow, without the need of turning my desk into a computer itself. Those computer cases from Mountain Mods are nice, but huge, you could probably make a desk out of the cases, to house your computer in?  ;D I am  :o that yours can hold fifteen 5.25 drives, I'm on a budget at the moment. But will one day maybe invest in one, along the very long pipe line.  ;D 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 10:30:21 am by clatterfordslim »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 01:12:06 pm »
That's a good idea .. a computer case that doubles as a desk (or is at least modular to it) :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 02:10:44 pm »

That's a good idea .. a computer case that doubles as a desk (or is at least modular to it) :)

No doubt it has been done, but yeah could you imagine the size of it? And how much space, you would need? Plus I think if you built it to modern specs, with the latest tech, the electricity bill would be horrendous.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 02:13:03 pm by clatterfordslim »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2019, 03:25:18 pm »
I'm just thinking why have a desk with a computer on/under it .. when you could have it **IN** it, with additional size allowing for massive expansion :)

Kinda the opposite of miniaturisation (well have you seen mobile phones lately, they're getting bigger), crossed with multi-functionality (erm, think of mobiles again) :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec