Choose style:

Author Topic: Asus Just Gave You 1 Million Reasons To Switch From Windows To Linux  (Read 1724 times)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Asus Just Gave You 1 Million Reasons To Switch From Windows To Linux
By Jason Evangelho, Contributor - Forbes, 29-Mar-2019

The bottom line is that Windows has too many potential attack points, most of which are not directly overseen by the very company who develops the operating system. The vast majority of the code cannot be audited by the community. There are less checks and balances in place to ensure that these attacks are prevented. After seeing how Ubuntu and various other Linux distributions ensure the security of their users, the Microsoft Windows approach starts to seem a lot less sane.

Good read: https://goo.gl/xGAHmH

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Re: Asus Just Gave You 1 Million Reasons To Switch From Windows To Linux
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 05:31:49 pm »
I've heard that on Linux Unplugged. It looks like they've had two certificates stolen (that's how I've understood it, ok?), one is already revoked, the second one was still valid! 
There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 08:58:47 pm »
I can't help but think of the push to entice proprietary software via snaps/flatpaks.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 10:27:50 pm »
I can't help but think of the push to entice proprietary software via snaps/flatpaks.

I was thinking the same thing while reading that. Those actually undermine the security that the author of that excellently written article loves as we do.

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 07:12:39 am »
snaps or flatpaks won't exist on my systems, even If that means dropping Peppermint  :'(

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 08:49:48 am »
snaps or flatpaks won't exist on my systems, even If that means dropping Peppermint  :'(

There's no need to drop Peppermint.  My new solution to this problem is to run two OSs -- Linux Peppermint OS and Windows.  I'm using Windows for Skype.  I've decided to stop using Snaps and Flatpaks any longer within GNU/Linux.  I never much liked the idea of WINE.  I've concluded I don't like Snaps and Flatpaks much either.  These programs muddy the nice clean waters of GNU/Linux.

I'm writing right now from Windows since I'm about to launch Skype.  It's strange over here in Windows Land.  I can't tighten up Windows 10 as well as I can Peppermint.  Remember, over here you need an AV.  And I haven't been able to successfully add Stubby to Windows 10, though they say you can do so.  Also the uBlock Origin app in Edge browser is by someone called Nik Rolls.  It's called uBlock-Edge at GitHub forked from gorhill/uBlock, but I'm shocked they're able to get away with calling it uBlock Origin in the Microsoft Store.  I thought the word Origin was what distinguished Raymond Hill's uBlock from the others.

Overall I think Windows is better than it used to be back in the Windows Vista days, but it's still a far cry from good.  I don't thing one can move from Windows to a good Linux distribution and then ever comfortably return to Windows.  Once your eyes are opened it's tough to go back.  That said, I'm going to try running Skype from Windows instead of using a Snap or a Flatpak within any Linux distribution. ;)

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 09:09:52 am »

I don't see why you'd have to drop Peppermint. As far as I know, there's no plans to ever include them as part of the base OS. All we have is support for people to optionally install them.

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 10:46:13 am »
@perknh
Edge  :-[  :-[
Why don't you install Firefox?!
I have to use windows at work, but I don't touch edge... made sure it only started once, and it was already one time too many  ;)

@scifidude79
Peppermint is Ubuntu based, so that will depend on Ubuntu.
Unless, PCNetSpec has plans to move the base, which I don't think he does. So, If Ubuntu defaults to snaps... what would we do?
I know, so far is just as you said and, so far I'm fine with it  :)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 11:45:51 am »
@perknh
Edge  :-[  :-[
Why don't you install Firefox?!
I have to use windows at work, but I don't touch edge... made sure it only started once, and it was already one time too many  ;)

@scifidude79
Peppermint is Ubuntu based, so that will depend on Ubuntu.
Unless, PCNetSpec has plans to move the base, which I don't think he does. So, If Ubuntu defaults to snaps... what would we do?
I know, so far is just as you said and, so far I'm fine with it  :)

Hi pin,

I did -- along with Peppermint's Start Page (perknh edition, of course) and Peppermint's DDG search engine!  I was just checking it out in order to see if it had been Chromeified yet -- which is supposed to happen sometime this year.  But no, Edge hasn't be Chromeified yet.
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 07:31:39 pm »

Why would it mean dropping Peppermint ?

If upstream switch to snaps for necessary core functionality and there's no working around it, we'll rebase (if by then there's any base without them, and if not you'll likely see a Peppermint BSD because I'd expect a LOT of developers switch too and BSD come on by leaps and bounds).

That said, AFAIK upstream aren't planning on switching core functionality to snaps .. at least not in the short term.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 08:15:30 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 07:59:10 pm »
If upstream switch to snaps for necessary functionality and there's no working around it, we'll rebase (if by then there's any base without them, and if not you'll likely see a Peppermint BSD because I'd expect a LOT of developers switch too and BSD come on by leaps and bounds).

Like I said, no need to switch. I know you well enough to know that would be your answer on the matter, but I didn't want to speak for you. :)

I've been with Peppermint since version 1 and I'll go along with whatever base distribution you switch to. I don't imagine every independent Linux distribution will switch to Snaps and Flaps (yes, I spelled it that way on purpose.) There will always be ones that will be like: "Nope."

I actually wonder how Debian feels about the matter. No matter how independent they claim to be, Ubuntu is still largely based on Debian, and they would actually have to go even more independent if Debian doesn't switch.

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 08:08:43 pm »
If upstream switches to snaps [...] you'll likely see a Peppermint BSD [...]

Ooh! Ooh! I'm getting a woody  ;D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2019, 10:16:55 pm »
Brain don't, don't, don't .. damnit, now I've gotta un-think that image ::) :-X

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2019, 10:51:50 pm »
I believe that in the long-term Ubuntu will be all about snaps. They're putting too much time and effort on it and it makes sense as it looks like it's easier to maintain. Fedora is the first on that path and well probably see in the near future silverblue taking the place of the regular release.

It will be something like systemd. Many will argue against, some will work with forks using regular repositories but most will just go with the default.

Will I use it? Yes, if I have to, just like installing proprietary drivers on my computer. I don't like, I know it's a deal with the devil, but it's the easiest way to get work done.

BTW, snaps even have the advantage to show that a software came from a registered and trusted developer (for example, the Plex snap comes from the plex developers). There's no such a thing for flatpacks.

Canonical will improve snaps and soon we will all be cornered.
There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2019, 11:15:05 pm »
Isn't it funny, Microsoft and Apple have seen the benefit of and moved towards curated 'app stores' .. and Linux is now headed the other way into an uncoordinated proprietary free for all where we have to simply 'trust' software developers because we no longer insist they make the source code available for  peer review ???

Anyone else see something wrong with this picture ?

I haven't a problem with the technology behind snaps/flatpaks/other universal package formats, just with the thinking behind them .. snaps would be fine if the thinking behind them wasn't directly opposed to "make the source available or you can't get in" .. they are designed to tempt proprietary software into Linux, but they're doing it at the expense of peer reviewed security.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 11:21:36 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec