Choose style:

Author Topic: Heck of a Problem Trying to Copy a Large File to Flashdrive or DVD (SOLVED)  (Read 323 times)

Offline MyOwnPepper

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 9
I mainly use two machines.  A Windoze (yeah, I know) ask my primary, on a desktop and Peppermint OS 9 on my laptop. 

I recorded on large (about 1.5 GB) file on my laptop last light and tried to copy to a flash drive but had several issues.  First, when copying, the file manager reached to about 99% then just hung up.   I figured that because the flash drive was in FAT32 format, that it should have been formatted in NTFS or exFAT instead.   I still had issues.   One issue I remembered was after copying, go to the menu and select "Eject" or "Safe to remove" option, but after removing, I'd get an error.

I've also tried instead to burn the file to a DVD, but no luck either.  As I type, I'm running the Brasaro CD/DVD program but just have  a window saying "getting size" and been running for about an hour.

I did finally copy the file by using an external 2.5" HDD which had no issue at all.  So, I can always use a HDD as an option.  But was just wondering, Is trying to copy  a large file to a flash drive or DVD usually so difficult or am I just doing something wrong?  :-\
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 05:54:55 pm by MyOwnPepper »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
I've copied files larger that 1.5GB such as some ISO's (copied as a single file .. not unpacked) to USB sticks before and not had problems.

Can't talk for DVD's though.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline MyOwnPepper

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Thanks for the feedback.

Offline MyOwnPepper

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
I did some more observing on what's going on looking at the spinning wheel of the "Disks" (Manage Drives and Media) program.

For me, with a flashdrive,  for large files, I needed a flashdrive in exFAT format.  Also, when dismounting, I had to wait til the spinning wheel stopped which took about 10-15 minutes unmounting after copying a 1.5 GB file.

For a HDD, unmounting only took few seconds.

What was happening was, I'd see the mounted drive icon disappear from my desktop and assumed incorrectly I could take the flash drive out.  This led to error messages or a file that wasn't readable.

As for the DVD, still can't copy to DVD, but that isn't too important.

In other words, for me the fastest is to use an external HDD.  Otherwise, use a flashdrive and wait, and wait til it finally unmounts  :(.