Choose style:

Author Topic: How to install the windows Fonts in WPS (SOLVED)  (Read 389 times)

Offline jozefmw

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 & 9
How to install the windows Fonts in WPS (SOLVED)
« on: March 24, 2019, 02:41:58 am »
I followed the commands in: https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,4631.0.html.
to install WPS and the missing symbol fonts.

In my previous installation I wanted to install the Windows Fonts, like Arial an Comic sans, I mostly work with. I found some commands on the internet, but messed up the Terminal, who couldn't deal with the last command and got stuck. The only solution I thought of, was simply to close the terminal. But then the synaptic Package manager did not work anymore, giving the error message, that another process was still going on. After that I reinstalled Peppermint 9 and WPS. This installation works fine. Again I looked for commands to install the windows fonts: I came across this for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS:
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt install ttf-mscorefonts-installer
and after installing:
$ sudo fc-cache -f -v
As I do not want to get the Terminal stuck again, I wonder whether somebody has tried this out before or has some other kind of solution.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 05:32:09 am by jozefmw »

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
Re: How to install the windows Fonts in WPS
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 03:39:12 am »
Hi jozefmw

These instructions will work
Code: [Select]
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt install ttf-mscorefonts-installer
and after installing:
$ sudo fc-cache -f -v

I don't know what commands you used from the internet but it seems one of them was still running when you closed the terminal and that's what locked you out of Synaptic, without knowing what that command was it's impossible to comment

Good luck

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline jozefmw

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 & 9
Re: How to install the windows Fonts in WPS (SOLVED)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 05:31:34 am »
Thank you.  Worked perfectly indeed !!!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: How to install the windows Fonts in WPS (SOLVED)
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 08:46:39 am »
In my previous installation I wanted to install the Windows Fonts, like Arial an Comic sans, I mostly work with. I found some commands on the internet, but messed up the Terminal, who couldn't deal with the last command and got stuck. The only solution I thought of, was simply to close the terminal. But then the synaptic Package manager did not work anymore, giving the error message, that another process was still going on. After that I reinstalled Peppermint 9 and WPS.

Exiting the terminal whilst dpkg was locked would cause that error but there was no need to reinstall .. a simple reboot would have removed the dpkg lock ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec