Choose style:

Author Topic: Fingerprint Login  (Read 379 times)

Offline kloos

• Fairly new at Linux
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 & 10 (64 bit)
Fingerprint Login
« on: March 21, 2019, 04:03:46 am »
Hi all,

My other laptop is a Toshiba Portege R930 running W7.   I have finally loaded dual boot for P9 (I need Excel but am weaning myself off it).  Firstly, wow it's fast!  But the reason for this post is that I want to get the fingerprint login working and can't find where the option is.

Thanks
Martin

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Re: Fingerprint Login
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 04:47:00 am »
Hi Kloos

There isn't an option for fingerprint scan in Peppermint by default but it can be made to work by installing fingerprint & fingerprint-gui, I've used it on HP laptop and it worked well but to be honest I found it a bit gimmicky and more of a nuisance, but if you want to try it have a look here

https://mintguide.org/tools/257-fingerprint-gui-authorization-using-fingerprint-scanner-on-linux-mint.html

Good luck

Graeme

If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 05:03:23 am »
Have you tried libreoffice calc or gnumeric instead of excel?!

Offline kloos

• Fairly new at Linux
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 10:08:39 am »
Have you tried libreoffice calc or gnumeric instead of excel?!
Gosh yes I use Libre Office as often as I can.  I am a power user of Excel and have some spreadsheets that simple won't load in any other programme and I have tried them all.  I have found that re-creating them from scratch in Libre works rather than loading the xl but obviously that takes a lot more time.  That's why I'm duel booted still.

Offline kloos

• Fairly new at Linux
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 10:20:39 am »
but to be honest I found it a bit gimmicky and more of a nuisance, but if you want to try it have a look here

I see what you mean.  It kind of works, but it's not as intuitive or as quick as on windoze.  Hey ho, you have to try these things.  Thanks for the link though, much appreciated.