Choose style:

Author Topic: AMD Vega series driver  (Read 3260 times)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: AMD Vega series driver
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2019, 04:31:20 pm »
Remember, when you reboot you'll need to boot into the 4.15 kernel.

Any other kernel and you're likely to end up at a black screen with flashing cursor.

But if it works, we can remove the 5.0.2 kernel and undo the HWE.

[EDIT]

Oh, and don't forget to undo that edit to /etc/os-release
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 05:37:28 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2019, 06:07:41 am »
Ok I rebooted into 4.15-46 kernel and tested and there was no difference, so I run the commands again just to be sure I didn't miss anything out and I noticed on the terminal output last line it said nomodeset detected so I checked /etc/default/grub file to make sure I removed nomodeset from that file and I had however i didn't update grub after doing that, so I ran update-grub from the terminal and rebooted and now it wont reboot at all in any kernel

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2019, 08:08:26 am »
How far does the boot go ? .. can you drop to a text console and log on in text mode by hitting Ctrl+Alt+F2 ?

If so, you can remove amdgpu-pro with:
Code: [Select]
amdgpu-pro-uninstall
if not, you may have somehow borked GRUB .. and we'll have to fix that.

nomodeset might have been why amdgpu wasn't loading in the first place.

[EDIT 2]

Or now might be the right time to just write it off and try the new ISO .. your call, I'm more than willing to help either way, I'm not trying to push you in that direction just offering it as an alternative.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 08:21:19 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2019, 09:17:56 am »
How far does the boot go ? .. can you drop to a text console and log on in text mode by hitting Ctrl+Alt+F2 ?

I get to the GRUB menu but after that it just goes blank so I should be able to boot into text mode
nomodeset might have been why amdgpu wasn't loading in the first place.

I know I realised that after I discovered I didn't update grub so I gotta apologise to you for that looks like I might have wasted a load of your time  :-[
Or now might be the right time to just write it off and try the new ISO .. your call, I'm more than willing to help either way, I'm not trying to push you in that direction just offering it as an alternative.

I was actually just gonna do that this morning the only thing that prevented me was I have .ova Windows 7 backup file for Virtualbox on the system and I couldn't get it off because I didn't have a drive big enough at my office, I tried copy & pasting it over to the Windows 10 partition but for some reason it wouldn't let me, I really want that file before I delete the Peppermint partition it has a load of Windows updates etc and it would save me hours of work if I get it off first, so I can take a big drive with me to the office tomorrow and then move it over befor I reinstall.

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2019, 10:45:21 am »
The benefits of LiveUSB's eh! :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2019, 07:20:35 am »
Ok  latest update

I removed the amdgpu-pro driver and it still refused to boot so I went ahead and copied over the VM .ova file to a USB drive deleted the peppermint partition in gparted and reinstalled with the .iso you built for me, all went well, I got sound through HDMI straight away but xplayer couldn't handle the video so I swapped it out for Parole which works perfectly, so all's good there,

The disappointment for me is Virtualbox refuses to import the Windows 7 .ova with a can't create image error, so if you have any suggestions for how I might get the .ova to import it would be appreciated otherwise I'll have to reinstall the Windows VM from scratch if that'll work I don't know,

Many thanks

Graeme

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2019, 11:19:09 am »
I'm not even sure what an OVA file is, but (and I realise this may not be any use now), normally to copy Vbox VM's from one machine to another you just need to copy the directory that contains the VM's from one machine to the same place on the other.

I'm not at a machine with Vbox installed at the moment, but the directory is something like
"~/VirtualBox VMs"

What exactly did you back up ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2019, 11:52:05 am »
What exactly did you back up ?

In Virtualbox under File there's an option to "Export Appliance" and "Import Appliance" Export will create a .OVA file that can be stored anywhere, that's the method I used, I've used it before and it's worked well.

Anyway it's not the end of the world it just means I'll have to reinstall Windows again from scratch and I don't need to tell you the pain that involves :)

Graeme

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2019, 01:38:20 pm »
Are you sure you're using the same version of Vbox that you backed up with ?

As I said, I've always just copied the entire folder .. and Vbox sometimes moans if the VM's were originally created with a newer version than I currently have on the new/target machine.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 01:40:16 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2019, 02:39:21 pm »
Are you sure you're using the same version of Vbox that you backed up with ?

I assume they're the same version because in each case I installed from the PM9 repos

Graeme

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2019, 03:02:14 pm »
I never install Vbox from the 'default' repos .. I always add their repo.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2019, 05:23:31 pm »
I never install Vbox from the 'default' repos .. I always add their repo.
Can I ask why ?

Anyway as it happens, I've reinstalled Windows 7 in a VM and i'm almost back to where I was just catching up on the updates so it's all working well we have sound & vision through HDMI and I have to say Peppermint is flying on this machine so it's almost ready to hand over

2 things
(1) As I mentioned on another thread I tried to install AVG on the Windows VM and it blue screened during the install and it wrecked Explorer even after recovery and I'm terrified to try it again have you any suggestions for a free replacement to AVG ?

(2) If I'm understanding correctly this version of PM9 has a custom kernel is any future Kernel updates likely to affect it ?

Many thanks for your help

Graeme

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2019, 06:00:08 pm »
You always get the latest, and IIRC the version in the default Ubuntu repos doesn't work properly with USB passthrough.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2019, 06:06:28 pm »
1) Panda FREE is what I use in Windows now.

2) The only change I made in that ISO is I added the HWE, cleared out the old 4.15 kernel, and applied all updates to date .. so it's NOT a custom kernel, it's the 4.18 kernel from the HWE so will continue to receive updates as normal until 2023 :)

That system needs NO special treatment from here on .. just treat it as any other Peppermint 9

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec