Choose style:

Author Topic: PDF XFA forms [SOLVED]  (Read 391 times)

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
PDF XFA forms [SOLVED]
« on: March 09, 2019, 09:19:19 pm »
So... I've been a truly happy Linux user for quite a while now... I've literally sent MS Windows to another galaxy. I don't have it in my computer for years and I refuse to even keep a virtual machine of it... However... Today I've had a bad day. I need to fill a PDF file with some XFA forms and there's nothing on Linux that seems to support it. I've tried Master PDF, Evince, Okular, PDF Studio Viewer, MuPdf... no luck...

Should I install a virtual machine to run Adobe Reader? Or maybe someone in this incredible community can help me to keep my peace of mind and to stay away from Windows? I don't want it! And I refuse to believe that it's necessary for anything! AAAAAAHHHHHH!  :'(

[EDIT]
Added after problem solved. Had to use the outdated Adobe Acrobat Reader (mind some 32 bit dependencies not automatically pulled in a 64bit system).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 10:20:43 pm by christianvl »
There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: PDF XFA forms
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 07:12:09 am »
I have no idea how to work with .pdf's, but Adobe Reader 9.5.5 is available for Linux if that helps:
Code: [Select]
wget ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/unix/9.x/9.5.5/enu/AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i386linux_enu.deb
then
sudo apt-get install ./AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i386linux_enu.deb
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 07:15:14 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline christianvl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 08:00:36 am »
Thank you. I wanted to avoid that, because it is severely outdated and it has lots of security issues. I did try to install just to see if I could get the particular file I need to work on to display properly.

OMG, it pulls a lot of dependencies (like 75)! Anyway... it won't open... I click on it and nothing happens... try to open the file directly to it, but nothing happens too... 

ristian@christian-pepper9 ~> acroread -v 
/opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread: error while loading shared libraries: libxml2.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

There was no error or failed dependency during install.
There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 08:33:55 am »
I had a look earlier and came across this post, https://askubuntu.com/questions/455135/how-do-i-install-adobe-acrobat-reader-from-the-repository

Pdf Studio claims to handle this, https://kbpdfstudio.qoppa.com/free-pdf-reader-with-form-filling-windows-mac-linux/
Although, it seems there is no release for Ubuntu 18.04, and therefore Peppermint 9, yet.

Foxit reader also claims to do the job.

I can't really help you with more than this, sorry  :'(

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 09:30:24 am »
Thank you. I wanted to avoid that, because it is severely outdated and it has lots of security issues. I did try to install just to see if I could get the particular file I need to work on to display properly.

OMG, it pulls a lot of dependencies (like 75)! Anyway... it won't open... I click on it and nothing happens... try to open the file directly to it, but nothing happens too... 

ristian@christian-pepper9 ~> acroread -v 
/opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread: error while loading shared libraries: libxml2.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

There was no error or failed dependency during install.

Weird, that dependency never popped up on my system (Peppermint 9 64bit) but maybe it'd already been pulled in by something else.

In any case, run:
sudo apt-get install libxml2
now try again, and if you get a different error, post what it is.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 09:32:10 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline christianvl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 04:20:32 pm »
Thank you both. Foxit reader didn't work either... It even will not open the file.

Here's another strange thing:

christian@christian-pepper9 ~ $ sudo apt-get install libxml2
[sudo] password for christian:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
libxml2 is already the newest version (2.9.4+dfsg1-6.1ubuntu1.2).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
christian@christian-pepper9 ~ $ acroread -v

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 05:08:53 pm »
Oh hang on, it probably needs the 32bit version of that library:
sudo apt-get install libxml2:i386

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline christianvl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 06:12:04 pm »
Yes, that did it. Thank you very much. Looks like it's working, but I have to do some more extensive testing with my file. I'll work as quick as I can with that document and remove Acrobat Reader. I'll mark this discussion as solved just as I confirm everything is ok. 

Offline christianvl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 10:17:41 pm »
Ok, Adobe Acrobat Reader 9 worked for me. I could edit the PDF XFA Form file and submit it to the government authority that I needed to. I'll mark this topic as solved.

Thank you very much for your time and effort.

It's just sad that we still have government agencies/companies using systems that ties the user to proprietary software. They may think there's no harm because it's "free" to download and use. It's not ok. Not ok.   

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: PDF XFA forms [SOLVED]
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 09:21:55 am »
Glad it worked for you, thanks for marking the topic solved :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec