Choose style:

Author Topic: Webcam working then stops  (Read 451 times)

Offline maxy2

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 and 9
Webcam working then stops
« on: March 01, 2019, 10:20:26 am »
In built web cam on MSI machine is not being picked up by PM 8 live USB. Actually, it starts off ok then drops and doesn't  come back. Used guv, cheese and VLC.

I have a f6 toggle on off but it does not bring it back.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 11:55:08 am by maxy2 »

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Re: Webcam working then stops
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 05:44:03 pm »
Hi maxy2, I have noticed that a lot of things don't work like they are supposed to in the live session but after installing and updating everything, I've had very few problems. One way of knowing how a distro is going to work after being installed is to install it on a second usb memory, preferably 16 gb min. That way you can update it and you should get a better idea of how it's going to work installed on a machine, of course it's going to be slower on the usb. I have Peppermint 8 installed on a 32 gb memory and it has saved my butt a couple of times when I had equipment problems, usually a hard drive dying.
What was I thinking?

Offline maxy2

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 and 9
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 09:07:35 am »
Hi  Alynur, thanks for your suggestion. Funnily enough my next step will be to load a full OS onto a usb as I find that easier than partitioning etc. I can then later when needed upgrade etc without trouble. I also agree it is a good way to try out a new distro or edition of the current OS. It will be interesting to see the difference between the live ISO and the full install  on a USB. I will even have the luxury of including full system encryption when installing.

My web cam is now working sometimes but  maybe an update of the driver may work. I will have to work out how to find the webcam name and the driver update.

Offline Sgthawker

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Nine
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 10:17:18 am »
I have purchased Sandisk Ultra USB 3.0 thumb drives, and noticed a massive increase in speed when writing .iso files for testing distros. That led me to a Corsair GTX 3.1 thumb drive with 440MBs read / write speeds near the same as internal SSDs. Well worth the expense if you run an OS off of a thumb drive.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk