Choose style:

Author Topic: Chromebook conversion  (Read 2696 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Chromebook conversion
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2019, 08:37:15 am »
@perknh

When I gave you these instructionns to boot the LiveUSB

Boot to the Peppermint LiveUSB .. when you get to the screen where it offers you "Try Peppermint" and "Install Peppermint" ..  hit the "Tab" key

You'll then see some white writing at the bottom of screen that ends with
Code: [Select]
quiet splash --
instead make it end with
quiet splash mem=4G -- mem=4G
then hit Enter to continue booting.

Did it boot, and allow installation ?

If it installs but won't boot after installation don't wipe it .. come back here and ask how to apply the mem=4G kernel boot parameter to an already installed OS.

At the time I thought the kernel boot parameter was going to also be necessary POST-INSTALLATION

adding boot parameters on a LiveUSB BEFORE the "--" delimiter tells the kernel to use the parameter on the Live session, adding it a second time AFTER the "--" delimiter causes it to get added to the
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
line of
/etc/default/grub
OF THE INSTALLED OS (should you install from that Live session).

So as you only need the parameter during the LiveUSB boot but NOT in the installed OS, you should change those instructions to

You'll then see some white writing at the bottom of screen that ends with
quiet splash --
instead make it end with
quiet splash mem=4G --

then the parameter will get added to the Live boot, but will NOT carry over to the installed OS

Hope that made sense ?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 08:39:00 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2019, 06:52:37 pm »
It's in recovery mode right now -- nothing boots from Peppermint any longer.  When this happens, I need to reinstall ChromeOS and start over again.

@PCNetSpec

I no longer see quiet splash anywhere.

Are you saying that now that I know how to boot into a live image when in developer mode, I can now go back and run the command gksudo xed /etc/default/grub and then put mem=4G between the apostrophes because I no longer need to be limited to 1G of memory?

« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 06:55:52 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2019, 06:58:00 pm »
No

What I'm saying is see this post
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,8091.msg87426.html#msg87426

replace
quiet splash mem=4G -- mem=4G
with
quiet splash mem=1G --
then you won't have to remove anything post install
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2019, 08:11:02 pm »
Right, I remember we tried mem=4G and changed it to mem=1G in order to install Peppermint.  Then a couple of days ago you showed me how to edit grub with this command -- gksudo xed /etc/default/grub, to remove the 1G  so the distribution would not be limited to having only 1G of memory.   That helped a great deal, and it freed up the Chromebook's memory.

PCNetSpec, are you saying if I add two dashes ( - - ) after mem=1G when I'm installing from the live drive, I won't have to do anything post-installation?

Now, at this moment, I'm back into Developer mode installing Ubuntu 19.04 in order to see whether or not the trackpad on this Acer C-720 will work as it should within 19.04.

And the answer is yes, the trackpad on an Acer C-720 Chrome book does work much better in Ubuntu 19.04.  I'm assuming the advanced kernel is what is making the difference.

Now, I'll reinstall Peppermint 10, and see that we use the Chromebook with a mouse until the Chromebook's kernel is upgraded to the 5 series kernel.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 09:22:12 pm by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2019, 09:09:34 am »
PCNetSpec, are you saying if I add two dashes ( - - ) after mem=1G when I'm installing from the live drive, I won't have to do anything post-installation?

Yes, adding it BEFORE the 2 dashes applies it TO THE CURRENT BOOT session. (ie. to the LiveUSB session)

Adding it a second time AFTER the two dashes means "if I should install from this session, ALSO apply it to the installed version so it always boots with this parameter post installation"

So if you leave off the one AFTER the 2 dashes, you won't have to remove it post installation.

You could always install the 5 series kernel in Peppermint 10 if you wish .. by moving to the hwe-18.04-edge track.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2019, 12:19:18 pm »

Yes, adding it BEFORE the 2 dashes applies it TO THE CURRENT BOOT session. (ie. to the LiveUSB session)

Adding it a second time AFTER the two dashes means "if I should install from this session, ALSO apply it to the installed version so it always boots with this parameter post installation"

So if you leave off the one AFTER the 2 dashes, you won't have to remove it post installation.

Wow -- that's pretty cool.  I take it the 2 apostohes together commands the memory to be open ended -- instead of putting a number on it, :-\

You could always install the 5 series kernel in Peppermint 10 if you wish .. by moving to the hwe-18.04-edge track.

Done!  That's the way to go here.  This thing's going to keep working better and better, week by week. ;)

Here's the finished product -- mrs.perknh's "Pepperbook" I may be biased here, but, for most things, I like this Pepperbook better than the original Chromebook itself!

« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 02:26:33 pm by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2019, 02:06:37 pm »
I take it the 2 apostohes together commands the memory to be open ended -- instead of putting a number on it, :-\

Not sure what you mean here perknh .. which two apostrophes ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2019, 02:19:23 pm »
I take it the 2 apostohes together commands the memory to be open ended -- instead of putting a number on it, :-\

Not sure what you mean here perknh .. which two apostrophes ?

When I edited out the "mem=1G" and put nothing in its place  -- from this post.  Is the memory open-ended there?  Meaning whatever you have, you have to use.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 02:21:06 pm by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2019, 02:44:39 pm »
No, you're missing my point here perknh

if you've only entered
quiet splash mem=1G --

that line should never have been edited .. so should already read
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
without you having to edit it at all.

The only reason for quotation marks in that line are if you're adding more than one parameter with whitespaces between
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
and
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=
and even
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="
all effectively read
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=
no parameter set

That said, as I said above .. if you only added mem=1G once, before the --, I'd have expected that file never to have been edited at all, so read the default
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 02:50:15 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2019, 02:58:56 pm »
Right.  I am curious about the two apostrophes together and their function with the OS's memory.   If there isn't a number between the two apostrophes,  e.g., mem=4G, am I right in thinking that the OS will just use what memory it can?  That appears to me to be the case.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 03:19:32 pm by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2019, 03:43:22 pm »
mem=1G limits the kernel to addressing the first 1G of memory .. so yeah, in the absence of a specified limit the kernel will address all the memory it can find.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2019, 04:16:02 pm »
mem=1G limits the kernel to addressing the first 1G of memory .. so yeah, in the absence of a specified limit the kernel will address all the memory it can find.

Thanks, PCNetSpec.  That's pretty cool!  8)

Also thanks so much to you and Brianrh for inspiring and helping me to install Peppermint on that old Acer C720 while my wife was away.  On the phone I told her I had put Ubuntu on her Chromebook, and she asked why not Peppermint.  Seeing soon that she now has a Pepperbook ought to be a terrific surprise to her when she comes home this evening.  Installing it and breaking it, and installing it again became a lot of fun.  By the way, participating in these Chromebook threads also saved me about $200 in the process.  So, again, thank you guys. :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2019, 05:15:56 pm »
Let's hope she likes it perknh, though by the sounds of it she's already a proper pepperhead :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2019, 05:25:11 pm »
Let's hope she likes it perknh, though by the sounds of it she's already a proper pepperhead :)

She sure is!  She's been one for years. :)