Choose style:

Author Topic: Chromebook conversion  (Read 483 times)

Offline peppycrab

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
Chromebook conversion
« on: February 27, 2019, 10:43:40 pm »
I am running P8 on an HP Mini that is on it's last legs.
My question: Would it be worth it to get a low-priced Chromebook and replace the Chrome OS with Peppermint? Can it be done?

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Re: Chromebook conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 03:24:56 am »
I used to have a Chromebook. Although its limitations, it is a very fast and responsive system. If you can get your work done only from a web browser, it is a nice option.

When I had it, there was not the possibility to install some Android apps yet.

However, I would not buy it if you're planning on using another OS then Chrome OS. It's not easily replaceable. There is a way to install Linux distros on it, but AFAIK it is not very easy and there are some caveats.

To put it short, if you want something different from Chrome OS, don't buy a Chromebook. 
There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 08:20:43 am »
It would need to be an x86 Chromebook, and even then you'd need to do your homework .. I gather it can be done on some Chromebooks (but it's never easy), but not on others .. certainly not on ARM based Chromebooks.

Personally I'd say use the money on a second-hand but well built laptop .. Dell E series maybe.

[EDIT]

Okay Dell, I recommend these things that often now I reckon I deserve a commission :))
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 08:25:33 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 09:30:00 am »
I agree. I put Peppermint on a Chromebook for somebody and when the battery ran out it stopped being able to boot Peppermint. It was a real hassle getting it to boot another OS in the first place and I couldn't figure out how to repeat the trick. Luckily the user is quite happy to use ChromeOS  :o

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 01:06:35 pm »
Personally I'd say use the money on a second-hand but well built laptop .. Dell E series maybe.

I was thinking it, and you said it.

1) Dell E series (modern)  and/or  2) Dell D series (legacy), I reckon.

EDIT

Er...

BTW, Dell aficionados tend to leave the 'category' off of the names. They assume everyone knows which category they're referring to.

We're talking about Dell Latitude lappys, hence...

1) Dell Latitude E series (modern)  and/or  2) Dell Latitude D series (legacy)

This distinction is V important. For instance, I would never buy nor recommend a low-end Dell Inspiron [anything;)

Extra Credit Reading: How to Decode Laptop Brand Names
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 01:46:19 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin (64-bit)
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 01:26:59 pm »
I know it's considerably easier to put Peppermint on an HP Stream than on a Chromebook.  I know this because I did so.  But, since mrs.perknh just adores her little Acer C720 Chromebook -- which is supposedly going stop receiving support this coming June.  I've been pondering how I might easily put Peppermint on her Chromebook once support for it ends.

I have no idea at all if this strategy will work, but I intend to first replace Chrome OS with Chromium OS using CloudReady (home edition) from Neverware.  Then I plan to see if I can boot Peppermint 9 from within CloudReady.  I already know I won't be able to do so within Chrome OS, but I'm hoping CloudReady will prove itself a little more user-friendly since Google won't be directly calling the shots.

I'm not holding my breath that I'll be able to do this, but that's the approach I want to try.  If this doesn't work, she'll at least have a supported version of Chromium OS on her Chromebook instead of an unsupported version of Chrome OS.
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters...
-- AndyInMokum

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 02:14:42 pm »
I'm working on my first pot of coffee, and veering off-course here, but...

I had to mention this:

I run one of my bots on a Dell Latitude D620. It's been up n' running 24/7/365 for years. When the Peppermint version I'm using goes EOL, I shut it down, blow out the dust bunnies, and install the latest Peppermint. Then, it's put back online, until that ver goes EOL.

For shiggles, I went over to eBay to see how much Dell Latitude D series are going for these days. I paid $100 for mine way-back-when.

Picked at random: Fast Dell Latitude D Series Laptop Notebook PC Dual Core 4GB Wifi Windows 10

Yup, still going for $100-ish USD. Dual-boot it with Peppermint, and you got a marriage made in heaven, for pennies.

Okay, back OT  ;D

Offline peppycrab

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 02:32:21 pm »

[EDIT]

Okay Dell, I recommend these things that often now I reckon I deserve a commission :))

I've had good experience with Dell. I'll probably go that route.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 03:54:07 pm »
Yup, still going for $100-ish USD. Dual-boot it with Peppermint, and you got a marriage made in heaven, for pennies.

That is a great sounding deal.  And it sure beats wasting lots of time with a Chromebook if you don't have to. ;)
-- AndyInMokum

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 06:25:26 am »
peppycrab, rejoice!  I may have to take back what I've said earlier.  This sounds promising -- though I'm not eliminating the CloudReady idea just yet. ;)

All Chromebooks will also be Linux laptops going forward

By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols for ZDNet

https://www.zdnet.com/article/all-chromebooks-will-also-be-linux-laptops-going-forward/
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 06:29:33 am by perknh »
-- AndyInMokum

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 06:57:16 am »
Good read, perk. Thx  :)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 07:47:53 am »
-- AndyInMokum

Offline Fritz74

• m, 44, Vienna
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 04:42:17 pm »
As regards hardware compatibility of Chromebooks with Linux, take a look at the following table by GalliumOS:
https://wiki.galliumos.org/Hardware_Compatibility

GalliumOS is basically Xubuntu for Chromebooks. I used it on an Asus C200 for about a year. According to Don't call me Lenny, installing a normal distribution like Peppermint should be no problem either:

Refurbished Acer C720s can be found on eBay.com for less than $ 150.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 04:49:33 pm by Fritz74 »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 06:00:27 pm »
Thanks, Fritz74.  My wife has an Acer C720.  It's guaranteed support until next month, and this is the reason why I'm following this stuff like a hawk.  Check this out.  It's a list of the end of automatic support dates for Chrome OS on various Chrome OS devices.  I'm not sure whether or not we'll still be able to manually update a Chrome OS device after its automatic support ends, but I'm not holding my breath.  My plan is to put CloudReady on her old Acer C720 Chromebook after its automatic support ends. 

By the way, I don't recommend CloudReady for most computers.  CloudReady can be buggy if a device isn't supported.  To date I've tried CloudReady on three computers, but it only appears to work well on one of the three.  It's really a hit or miss thing with CloudReady.  Still, I suspect it will work on her old Acer Chromebook.  An old Chromebook is exactly the type of device CloudReady was created for.
-- AndyInMokum

Offline Fritz74

• m, 44, Vienna
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 06:30:42 pm »
@perknh: Chrome OS is very limited. The only downside with Linux on a Chromebook is that you always need to press CTRL+L on startup, or the device will try to erase the OS and force you to install Chrome OS again. Maybe (sooner or later) I will get an Acer C720 myself.