Choose style:

Author Topic: running Peppermint 9 on Dell 910 netbook  (Read 204 times)

Offline Tom Hardy

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9/with libreoffice
running Peppermint 9 on Dell 910 netbook
« on: February 24, 2019, 08:05:22 pm »
I am trying Peppermint 9 OS with Libreoffice on a Dell mini 9 (910)erminal like XFCE dies
t
it seems that this OS does not copy and paste from  the Terminal like XFCE mint does.
OK single core atom 32 but 270 circa 2008.  Oddball non standard SSD with 7.9 GB capacity and 2 GB of DDR2 800mhz RAM.
I did a minimal install so I could install the LibreOffice, as I have detested anything with a Windows flavor since I retired in 2013.
I am very familiar with Microsoft since before it was as I was in the next office to Babler since he was writing the OS for Windows for the MS founders in the mid 80's when I was working with an old Xerox star computer with the original office suite that eventually became MS office and OS Office and LibreOffice.
I have 14 of the Dell 910's that I dug out of a dumpster to recycle.  2 of them have LinuxMint 19.1 XFCE in 16 GB drives. 
I also an running 12 other laptops of various breeds on 18.3 and 19.1 Cinnamon.  These have no problems.  I have refurbished and installed Linux in over 200 computers in the last 2 years.  No problems!

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: running Peppermint 9 on Dell 910 netbook
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 08:17:53 pm »
To  copy something from the terminal, use Shift+Ctrl+C. To paste into the terminal, it's Shift+Ctrl+V.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: running Peppermint 9 on Dell 910 netbook
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 09:06:00 am »
Hi Tom Hardy, and welcome to the forum :)

I thought Ctrl+Shift+C and Ctrl+Shift+V  were UNIX/Linux wide (a long standing accepted standard if you will)  .. I didn't realise Mint Xfce were doing it differently ? .. if they are I bet that confuses a lot of people :o

There's a reason linux terminals don't use Ctrl+C to copy .. Ctrl+C is a special key combination assigned to terminating a running process in UNIX/Linux consoles.

So to copy in a terminal 'shift' was added, hence Ctrl+Shift+C .. and then it made sense to also add the 'shift' to paste, hence Ctrl+Shift+V

If Mint are using Ctrl+C (and I'm not suggesting they are) how do they kill a running process ?

it should also be noted that the simple act of HIGHLIGHTING text anywhere on the system (including in a terminal) automagically copies it to the X clipboard (though not necessarily a clipboard manager such as clipit .. FYI, clipit can also be set to do this with the 'Primary Select' option) .. so it can be pasted anywhere else with a middle click of the mouse.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 09:17:47 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec