Choose style:

Author Topic: What is the simplist way to maintain Peppermint? (SOLVED)  (Read 251 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin (64-bit)
What is the simplist way to maintain Peppermint? (SOLVED)
« on: February 24, 2019, 07:48:04 am »
Hello friends. 

Midweek I'll be installing Peppermint 9 on an old Dell laptop for a disabled, non-techie, senior friend of mine.  After the installation, I would like to give the guy instructions for the simplest way to maintain Peppermint.

Here's what I'm thinking:  I'm thinking my instructions to him should be something like these:

Turn on your computer.  Look at the panel.  If the shield does not have a green check on it, click onto shield, click to apply updates, enter your password, apply updates.  Period -- that's it, you're done!

Now, I know, technically speaking, he may actually need to reboot the computer after it has upgraded.  But what if we miss a cycle?  I don't think it's a biggie.  Is there a better, or easier, way to maintain Peppermint than this?  Or am I putting him at risk by not going deeper into it than this?

Thanks, anyone or everyone, for any ideas that could make this process simpler, or safer, for this nice fellow who is about to be introduced to Peppermint 9.

perknh 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 07:01:56 am by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters...
-- AndyInMokum

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Re: What is the simplist way to maintain Peppermint?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 08:39:48 am »
Maybe you could try to set the mint update tool to actually open after a restart.

It's more intrusive than the tray icon, but it will be harder to miss.

Another option is to create an update script and set it to autorun on login.

IMO, the default install is enough for anyone to keep he system updated. The shield with the blue exclamation point and notification is very simple and straighforward.
There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: What is the simplist way to maintain Peppermint?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 11:48:49 am »
Turn on your computer.  Look at the panel.  If the shield does not have a green check on it, click onto shield, click to apply updates, enter your password, apply updates.  Period -- that's it, you're done!

Sounds perfect to me .. I mean you could automate the process, but I'd probably not.

[EDIT]

There's a topic on here somewhere about unattended-upgrades .. but it is a security risk in its own right, so you have to weigh up whether forgetting updates every now and again is MORE or LESS of a security risk than basically giving the updater permission to install stuff without prompting for your password.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 11:52:59 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin (64-bit)
Re: What is the simplist way to maintain Peppermint? (SOLVED)
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 07:08:43 am »
Thank you, gents.  I'll see that he keeps his eye on the shield. ;)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters...
-- AndyInMokum