Choose style:

Author Topic: High memory usage while using live USB  (Read 5274 times)

Offline britgreek

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7 32bit
High memory usage while using live USB
« on: August 09, 2014, 02:43:49 am »
Hello from Greece. I created a live USB with Peppermint 5 64 bit in order to try it on three different computers. The problem that I am facing is that when Peppermint starts (regardless of whichl PC I am using), ram usage in idle reaches 500Mb, which I think is too high, if you take into account that no applications or browsers are running. 

The computers I have, run Mint 17 Cinnamon, LXLE, and Elementary OS. Mint uses about 321Mb, LXLE 300Mb, and Elementary 400.

Am I missing something here?

My computer specs are:
PC 1: AMD AthlonX3, with 4GB ram
PC2: Toshiba Laptop i5, 4 GB ram.
PC3: LG laptop, Dual Core, 2GB ram (on this particular laptop, keyboard doesn't work, and I've filed a bug in launchpad)

Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 02:52:29 am by britgreek »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: High memory usage while using live USB
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 11:03:10 am »
Hi, britgreek:

I don't know why so much RAM is being used. But I can positively say that if you install Peppermint 5 onto your HDD the RAM use will NOT be that high. It will probably be less than with Mint 17 Cinnamon or with Elementary.

I can no longer say how high it will be with a standard install, since I usually run either the Openbox WM on my machine (about 120 MB of RAM usage after logging into it) or the i3 WM (RAM usage is even lower after logging into it: only about 75 MB).  8)

Regards,
-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 11:13:07 am »
Fresh install on my laptop, Peppermint 5 is using 145megs to get to the desktop after boot up...  ;)
this can be tweaked down too for example he claims his mint 17 is using 321 megs of ram I have mint 17 cinnamon tweaked to boot up using about 198 megs of ram
I have done nothing with my pep 5 install for the reason so I can go back and look at it if someone has a problem...   ;)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline britgreek

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 12:16:20 pm »
Thank you all for your replies. I am actually testing various ubuntu-based distros on these three systems, in order to find a suitable distribution for 30 computers that I have. I am the owner of a school of foreign languages in Greece, and we have decided to stop using Windows due to major problems with viruses an hardware incompatibilities (HP printers that are not supported anymore and cannot be used on systems with Windows 7 and 8, due to the lack of drivers). I have ten identical Toshiba i5 laptops like the one I mentioned in my first post, ten LG laptops (P1 Express Dual) and ten AMD Athlon X3 desktops (built to order).

To be honest, I thought that high ram usage had something to do with the live USB, so I installed Peppermint on the three different kinds of PCs that I have. The only extra software that I installed was Conky, in order to be able to check the amount of ram used at any time while using the  PCs. So, after installing Peppermint, I  ran the commands sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade and rebooted the systems.

Ram usage is the following (idle with only conky running):
Toshiba (64bit): 410
LG (32bit): 319-320  (keyboard is still not functioning, so I am using a USB keyboard)   
AMD (64bit): 451-452 (on that system is doesn't recognise the full ram size, and it thinks that there are only 3,4gb of ram)

For the record, let me note that last week I also tried  Xubuntu, and had no "issues" with ram. Still, I didn't like it at all, as I couldn't get fonts to display nicely, even with infinality installed.

As I truly like Peppermint, I would appreciate any guidance on what I am doing wrong.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 12:18:15 pm by britgreek »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 12:22:50 pm »
Hi,

Those are RAM values are, I would say, much too high (especially if you only have conky running after logging into the desktops). Hopefully someone here can help you out, as I am not qualified enough to offer any sensible solution.

Good luck,
-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 12:44:58 pm »
Yup I agree, the figure I stated before on my install was a guesstimate and it was high...
I just booted my IBM T60 laptop it is a dual core 2.1 ghz machine with 3 gigs ram and it is a 32 bit processor...
I am running 32 bit peppermint 5 fresh install on it, with nothing changed or modified since the install except I added Firefox browser to it.... 
I just opened task manager and my memory usage is Memory: 118 MB of 3028 MB Used.....
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline britgreek

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 12:03:20 pm »
OK, that's the lowest ram usage I managed to get, on the AMD PC. Still, it uses about 50mb more compared to linux mint 17 cinnamon.

http://ibin.co/1WhWUqf1F9y5

It can't be right.

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 12:20:18 pm »
something is wrong for sure cause linux mint 17 on the same laptop uses about 240 megs compared to peppermint at 118 megs I have 4 of these laptops and each runs a different distro and peppermint may not be the lightest of the 4 distros it is certainly 2nd lightest...  only one that beats it is antix mx14 running lxde DE that one runs at about 65 megs ram.... 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 12:45:22 pm by rjm65 »
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 12:35:26 pm »
am I missing something here .. that screenshot appears to suggest you're running cairo-dock/docky/plank, a non standard icon theme, conky, and a different wallpaper .. nott exactly a standard Peppermint desktop .. and remember in a live environment ANYTHING you add will ALL have to be loaded to RAM.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 12:41:24 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline britgreek

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 12:52:46 pm »
Actually, I have installed Peppermint on all the three systems. The dock you see is docky, which is very lightweight, and the simplest conky theme (gotham). There is no wallpaper. Just a colour.  I didn't know that a different set of icons can eat up ram to a noticeable extent. I am still learning. The difference in ram usage is very small when docky and conky are not running. 

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 01:06:24 pm »
I have all my distros installed to the hard drive, I can tell you this much, booting from a live usb, all distros use more ram then after install...  Peppermint 5 is about 165 megs using live usb, and after install it drops to 118 megs, that is almost 50 megs right there saved by an actual install, as proposed to running live usb stick....
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline britgreek

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 02:01:38 pm »
I have written in two of my previous posts that I have actually installed Peppermint on all three systems. I'm not talking about live USB. I'm reinstalling right now on the AMD PC to see if something went wrong during the previous installation. The "problem" is more apparent on the 64bit version.

Thank you all for your posts.   

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 02:06:11 pm »
When done, boot to the desktop, and without runniing anything else, just open a terminal and post the output from:
Code: [Select]
free -m
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline britgreek

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 02:21:46 pm »
OK. I'll do that as soon as I can.

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 02:45:37 pm »
Free -m gives a higher reading then plain task manager does or conky...  they read 118 megs on mine and free -m says 345 megs which is correct?
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40