Author Topic: Just some info on flatpak...  (Read 692 times)

Offline pin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Just some info on flatpak...
« on: February 13, 2019, 09:42:53 am »
Disclaimer: I haven't check this, as I keep my systems away from it, but... thought I might share it anyway, https://flatkill.org/

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Re: Just some info on flatpak...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 10:38:43 am »
If it is so obviously dangerous... why is it that "everyone" is supporting it?

Ubuntu, Red Hat, Suse, Arch, Debian, Gentoo, Mageia, Solus, Alpine, Clear, NixOS, Void...

I mean, I know there are security concerns (with software in general), but if something is that dangerously nasty and so easy to exploit... why is that there's so much support and there's no news about attacks going on?
There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Just some info on flatpak...
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 03:58:21 pm »
I wish I had an answer for that ???

Actually I do .. whenever you ask that question, just follow the money ;)

[EDIT]

BTW there IS news about malware making it into these 'so called' universal package formats .. snaps (for sure) and flatpaks (i think) have been packaged and distributed containing bitcoin-miner payloads.

I wish they'd just shrivel up and die .. they are a security risk, have ZERO real world benefit (but a lot of demonstrable downsides), and will NEVER fulfil their champions 'stated' hopes of attracting third party devs such as Adobe, game houses, etc.

Now if you look at the tech from a IoT perspective, they make a LOT of sense (distributing proprietary software to a lot of disparate devices running a minimal embedded Linux, containerised updates with little chance of crashing the core OS in firmware) .. If I were cynical I might be tempted to think they're using us as guinea pigs as they develop the tech ;) .. remember, both RH and Canonical have openly said their focus is now on IoT.

Everyone else is just being dragged along .. personally I'd drop them from Peppermint tomorrow if there was an option, but as a lot of software is ONLY being distributed as snap/flatpak now, I'd be limiting our users. All I can do is advise people to not use them if they can help it.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 04:37:24 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec