Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint, UnRaid, and NFS  (Read 739 times)

Offline kopyguy

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 respin
Peppermint, UnRaid, and NFS
« on: February 11, 2019, 09:58:38 pm »
I spent a lot of time figuring out how to use Network file System (NFS) and thought I would share the bits that work for me.
The reason I started using NFS is I got tired of browsing to my file server using samba. NFS allows you to mount a file server share on your local file system. Note that the ip addresses used need to be fixed. As far as security goes my personal network is never exposed to the outside world. I referenced a lot of sources to put this together and cant say for sure what they all are. Arch wiki, guides found on line, and help files all played a roll. A big help from the UnRaid forum helped me export the shared directory with read write privilages.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/37310-solvednfs-shares-are-read-only/?tab=comments#comment-358791

1. Set up a NFS share on your file server with read and write privilages. My shared directory is "Box-Backup"

Note: I use an UnRaid server and spent a lot of time geting the share to export properly. I'm not familier with other servers. I can offer some help with UnRaid. The key to getting it working was a rule for the shared directory in the UnRaid server NFS Security Settings.

The rule is "192.168.1.14/24(sec=sys,rw)". This example is using the ip address of the Peppermint install.

2. Next check the the share that the UnRaid server is exporting with the following command. The IP address used for the command is the unraid server IP address.

Code: [Select]
$ showmount -e 192.168.1.10

The command returned.

Export list for 192.168.1.10:
        /mnt/user/Box-Backup 192.168.1.14/24

3. Use this output to make part of our fstab entry "192.168.1.10:/mnt/user/Box-Backup"

4. Next create a folder to mount the exported share to. My folder is "1-backup".

5. In the Peppermint fstab file we will need to discribe the location that we will mount the exported file to.
   my location or path will be.          "/home/steve/1-backup"

6. Using all the pieces the fstab entry will be the line created below. I will leave the last bits in this entry for you to explore.

192.168.1.10:/mnt/user/Box-Backup            /home/steve/1-backup      nfs    defaults   0    0

7. The line above is the entry that needs to be added to the end of the fstab file. I edited the fstab file with nano.

$ sudo nano /etc/fstab

8. Reboot and enjoy your mounted server share.

Steve

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Peppermint, UnRaid, and NFS
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 07:21:56 am »
Very nice tutoriaql Steve...

quick question if I may - does your fstab stanza work over a wired or wireless connection ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline kopyguy

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 07:55:09 pm »
quick question if I may - does your fstab stanza work over a wired or wireless connection ?

I'm using it on a wired connection.

Steve

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 10:08:02 pm »
Yeah for me NFS stanzas (or CIFS for that matter) need some quite arcane options set in order to not lock your system up at shutdown when using wireless
defaults
just doesn't cut it.

This only started happening when everyone switched to systemd (would you believe) ::)

FYI, and as an example - here's an NFS mount stanza that seems to work for me over wireless (and wired):-
192.168.1.99:/data/Share /mnt/readynas/share nfs noauto,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.device-timeout=10,timeo=14,x-systemd.idle-timeout=1min,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,intr,noatime 0 0
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 10:11:34 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline kopyguy

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 08:59:55 pm »
Yeah for me NFS stanzas (or CIFS for that matter) need some quite arcane options set in order to not lock your system up at shutdown when using wireless

Interesting. I have never tried NFS wirelessly.  If I ever do I will start with your fstab stanza. I'm looking forward to exploring it to see what it does. I don't know enough about system D to weigh in on it.  I'm just starting my third year in on a full linux commitment.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 03:15:13 am »
Interesting. I have never tried NFS wirelessly.  If I ever do I will start with your fstab stanza. I'm looking forward to exploring it to see what it does. I don't know enough about system D to weigh in on it.  I'm just starting my third year in on a full linux commitment.
Hi kopyguy,

Nice work for a greenhorn !!  :D
Keep up the good work!  8)
Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome