Choose style:

Author Topic: Creating a Peppermint-Based distro.  (Read 437 times)

Offline DARKBOW923

• All linux problem have solutions.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 64 bit :D
Creating a Peppermint-Based distro.
« on: May 17, 2019, 04:03:55 am »
Hello all!

I just study the computers, and in my school we have all machines with linux mint.

But i want to make my own distro based on peppermint 9, maybe i finish it in a few days, but i need some responses to my questions, because this is the only thing i need to finish at 100% the distro. (Just a basic distro to increase my eficiency on the classroom, to be honest). Im thinking to make a custom image just for test the system, but i want to make a derivate of peppermint for use at the schools of my country.

• How can i change the set-up installation images? i mean, the image you see when youre installating the peppermint distro.
  • How can i change the name? I mean, like 'Peppermint GNU/Linux' from [NAMEDISTRO]GNU/Linux

And maybe... just changing the default wallpapers? This is the only few things i need to know for finish my Peppermint based distro.

Any help whould be appreciated :)

See ya!
Now with new machine! Medion AKOYA intel core i3 7100 3mb caché 7th gen, 4GB RAM DDR4 Intel HD Graphics 630 1TB HDD space.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
Re: Creating a Peppermint-Based distro.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 07:09:29 am »
You'd have to remove all branding and reference to Peppermint, since what you'd be distributing is not Peppermint and we couldn't be expected to provide support for it.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 08:05:34 am »
You would be breaking trademark and copyright laws if you distribute any distro (other than an original Peppermint ISO) containing any of our branding or artwork .. or any of the Ray Bilcliff wallpapers.

Our software is all open source and covered by the GPL so you're free to use that within the terms of those licenses, but BRANDING AND ARTWORK MOST DEFINITELY IS NOT, it's what lets people know they're using an official Peppermint product that has gone through our quality control.

Please DO NOT distribute your distro publicly without removing our (and Ray's) branding and artwork first .. it will NOT be Peppermint, and it would be unfair (as well as illegal) if by misrepresentation it reflected upon us. If you wish to distribute Ray's artwork you'll also need to seek his written permission.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 10:20:12 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline DARKBOW923

• All linux problem have solutions.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 64 bit :D
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 03:18:05 pm »
 Oh, thank you so much, i didnt know im gonna break some copyright laws, specially with the wallpapers. Gonna try linux from scratch then, fortunately i didnt released the distro in the school haha..

See ya!
Now with new machine! Medion AKOYA intel core i3 7100 3mb caché 7th gen, 4GB RAM DDR4 Intel HD Graphics 630 1TB HDD space.