Choose style:

Author Topic: NVMe  (Read 955 times)

Offline cfx795

• cab driver and computer novice
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
NVMe
« on: January 28, 2019, 11:39:00 am »
I'm looking at NVMe SSD's to fill that gaping void in my motherboard's M.2 slot. If I just want an SSD to fill that M.2 slot and don't want my brain to hurt from reading-and-thinking, should I just go with the Samsung 970 EVO? One wouldn't want to die from overexposure to specs and benchmarks, right?? There's apparently a 970 EVO Plus but I only saw it on Amazon.uk. I'm not sure the thing has really hit the shelves in North America. I'm afraid amazon.uk might charge a few bob or tuppence for shipping. You know how the Brits are.

I was looking at these drives. Company called addlink. Never heard of them: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F8TVSLT/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATXWRH05YYYX5&psc=1 The warranty isn't great, but the endurance rating (TBW) for some reason rather dramatically exceeds the Samsung drives, but maybe that's hype or bs. I wonder if it's accurate? I've also heard that most manufacturers greatly underestimate the endurance of their drives in the specs. So maybe Samsung did, and the other manufacturer didn't?

Let me clarify that I use my drive primarily, almost exlusively, as a boot drive. Not much else. I don't have much, or any, data that is like. You know. Ark Of The Covenant-type stuff. I think what I have on this drive, right now, is... oh, let's see. Ah yes! The operating system. How much space does PM9 take? 7 or 8GB? Many times have I simply wiped my drive clean and installed a new OS, maybe store a few things in the cloud beforehand, but I'm really not much of a packrat. Probably a few times I've wiped something I meant to keep and thought oh well, I can find and replace it later... I'm a minimalist, I'm a low-power user, etc. I probably can't stress this enough. I'm always wondering how many of these numbers really only existsin the head of a prospective buyer, and maybe you benchmark it once and say yep, that's what they said it would do (or hopefully not "nope, that's really bad.") and then never again, and forget about it. I mean, I do get the sense that some of these lunatics really do spend a lot of time benchmarking. And that's fine, I'm not saying it's not normal.

So what I mean to say is that I think this drive would be reading a lot more than it would be writing. Not that it doesn't appeal to me to have faster write speeds, you know, but I'm not sure at what price. I've heard some folks suggest that a 500GB drive might be the sweet spot for a lot of people - price/performance/capacity. Maybe. I think with most of these drives, the write speed nearly doubles when you move from the 250GB to the 500GB unit. That might actually compel me to spend a little more for the larger drive. Or maybe I'll just go with the slower write speed and buy a new sweater. I've always wanted a powder-blue lambswool sweater.

This is my desktop system:

System:    Host: mike-B360M-DS3H Kernel: 4.15.0-43-generic x86_64 bits: 64
           Desktop: N/A Distro: Peppermint Nine
Machine:   Device: desktop System: Gigabyte product: B360M-DS3H serial: N/A
           Mobo: Gigabyte model: B360M DS3H v: x.x serial: N/A
           UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: F6 date: 07/13/2018
Battery    hidpp__0: charge: N/A condition: NA/NA Wh
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i3-8100 (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
           clock speeds: max: 3600 MHz 1: 800 MHz 2: 800 MHz 3: 800 MHz 4: 800 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Device 3e91
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics (Coffeelake 3x8 GT2)
           version: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.5
Audio:     Card-1 Intel Device a348 driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2 C-Media CM108 Audio Controller driver: USB Audio
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-43-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169
           IF: enp1s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: e0:d5:5e:ae:0e:64
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 64.0GB (13.6% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Drevo_X1_pro_64G size: 64.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 59G used: 8.2G (15%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: 27.8C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 219 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 3795.3/15903.0MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: NVMe
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 03:05:11 pm »
Okay here's my take on this

a) we have a non-make drive with claimed endurance, but not that the manufacturer is willing to back with a warranty
or
b) we have a drive by a well known brand who manufactures their own chips and who's SSD's have (at least up to this point) proven themselves one of (if not the in fact the) most reliable drives on the market in test-to-destruction tests.

I know which I'd go for ;)

In truth, IMHO you should stop worrying too much about write cycle reliability (TBW), modern SSD's and their firmware make them HIGHLY likely to outlast an HDD by some margin.

The only thing you should do is

i) buy the largest one you can afford .. higher capacities not only make them more efficient, but last longer because of wear leveling.

ii) Leave a percentage unpartitioned (overprovisioned) so the firmware can use it for wear levelling

Nothing wears out an SSD quicker than it being full.

Short version - Get the 970 EVO, or even better (and you're feeling flush) the 970 PRO

When talking about your data (and peace of mind sanity) the old adage "you get what you pay for" is probably worth listening to ;)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 03:17:56 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 04:49:46 pm »
Thanks. Alway appreciate your take on these things. You probably just confirmed some of my own thoughts and impulses about the thing, but I appreciate having someone else articulate it. So I found the 970 EVO Plus drives on Amazon, after all. I guess you have to look harder. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M7Q21N7/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I pre-ordered the 500GB drive. $130. It ships on Feb 10. I was right, they haven't quite hit the shelves, here. I'll never come anywhere close to filling up a 500GB drive. I was more concerned or interested in the performance than the capacity, of course, and they seem to have improved the write speeds rather significantly... Next up? How do I install this thing?? I sort of looked at that socket, but not real closely. I think I'll need my reading glasses!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 04:55:40 pm by cfx795 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 05:37:27 pm »
You just slot it in, push down, and screw it until you can screw no more .. hmm, well you did ask :o
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 05:40:44 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9 (64bit), P 9 R
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 08:13:04 pm »
You just slot it in, push down, and screw it until you can screw no more .. hmm, well you did ask :o

Man, you are really feisty today!    :D
What was I thinking?

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9 (64bit), P 9 R
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 08:21:21 pm »
I would say how you install it depends on how many partitions you want on it. And I'm imagining you're going to have to give it a partition table type at least. 
What was I thinking?

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 08:34:56 am »

Man, you are really feisty today!    :D

No, that's fine. That was exactly my question, as silly and basic as it must have seemed!

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 Beta / P9 Respin
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 01:44:13 pm »
I would say how you install it depends on how many partitions you want on it. And I'm imagining you're going to have to give it a partition table type at least.

Partition type GPT all day and every day

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 Beta x64 Desktop - i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1070ti 8Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9 Respin x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080