Choose style:

Author Topic: Also stuck at starting up  (Read 796 times)

Offline maxy2

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 and 9
Also stuck at starting up
« on: January 28, 2019, 06:46:48 am »
Using both PM8 and 9. Live USB. Loading is fine from USB up until starting up. Then hangs. No escape when escape is pressed.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Also stuck at starting up
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 08:18:11 am »
How much work would it be to try Peppermint 7 .. or the original spin of Peppermint 8
(Peppermint 7 might be best for this test as the kernel is earlier yet longer supported)

The reason I'm asking is if you're trying the Peppermint 8 Respin, you're effectively using the same kernel in both Peppermint 8 and 9 .. so to see if this is a kernel regression it'd be good to know if another earlier kernel will boot.

If not we're going to need to do some digging by removing the "starting up" screen to show the actual boot process and hopefully where it hangs.

Here's Peppermint 7

64bit
https://peppermintos.com/iso/Peppermint-7-20170321-amd64.iso

32bit
https://peppermintos.com/iso/Peppermint-7-20161201-i386.iso

Here's the original spin of Peppermint 8

64bit
https://peppermintos.com/iso/Peppermint-8-20170527-amd64.iso

32bit
https://peppermintos.com/iso/Peppermint-8-20170527-i386.iso
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 08:23:17 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline maxy2

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 08:54:45 am »
Many thanks for that. I am trying a different usb creator. (Might as well try easy things first). It will be no trouble to try PM 7 and the different kernel. I will report back. My gut feeling is the live OS is confused by the two drives on my new machine (SSD and HDD)?  But no evidence for that. On other machines (without two drives) the live OS seems to work seemlessly  for me.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 09:07:38 am »
NEW machine ?

How new ?

Have you got the make/model .. so we can check the hardware spec .. maybe you need a NEWER kernel.
(might also be interesting to know if say Xubuntu 18.10 will boot with it's more recent 4.18 kernel)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 09:12:27 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline maxy2

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 09:27:22 am »
Well, new for me :D.

I installed PM 8 on dual boot  with xp for my old samsung notebook 140. It has worked so well that I now want to do the following:

I want to remove w10 from my newish MSI GP62 7RD and replace with PM.
It has a  SSD and HDD. W10 is on the SSD and I want PM to replace it completely. Eventually, It would be very good if I can get PM working across all my hardware.

Hope this helps explain a little what I am trying to do.

Do you have a link for that Xubuntu download?

(Just tried USB image writer to create live  PM 9 OS and unfortunately continues to stick at starting up).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 09:37:20 am by maxy2 »

Offline maxy2

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 09:59:11 am »
PM 7 live ISO worked. So two questions?

Networking seems turned off? So no menu for linking to my wi fi?

Can I now upgrade to a live PM 8 or 9 whilst in live os 7.

Or would I have to install fully and would Live OS 7 give me the option to upgrade to 8 or 9?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 10:12:30 am »
There is no upgrade path from 7 --> 8/9, but that said they're both based on Ubuntu 16.04 so the differences are superficial.

in fact there are a lot of people who preferred PM7 and have satyed with it .. both 7 and 8 are fully supported until 2021, and maybe PM10 will fix things around June(is).

Networking might be solvable .. I take it you mean "wireless" that's not working ? .. does it work from an ethernet cable (whilst we fix wireless) ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline maxy2

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 10:23:22 am »
Sorry I am not clear in my thinking. If I use PM 7 (seems fine to me) and install. Can I then update in PM 7 to 8 or 9 and retain all my files? I am not clear about the difference between update and upgrade - if any at all?  I seem to remember one retains data and the other doesn't.

Also at a later date if I install PM 10 would it be a simple matter to retain my data. maybe the same question as above.

Regarding the wifi - there does not seem to be a menu showing my wi-fi so I assume one has to set it up from scratch?  I can use a cable and link into my router if necessary. Is this the normal with PM7? Seems a bit primitive?

I have just noticed there is an edit menu for wi fi:

it requires 
SSID
MODE
BSSID
DEVICE
CLONED MAC ADDRESS
MTU

Can you advise on the above settings? I may get some from the broadband supplier.

DO I need to adjust the IPV settings?

« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 10:29:51 am by maxy2 »

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 11:36:19 am »
No, you can't upgrade from one version of PM to the next. If you keep your data on a separate DATA partition the reinstallation of the new version will be more painless. Otherwise you'll be backing it all up and putting it back again afterwards.

You might just need a driver for your wifi adapter but you'll need internet to get that. Plug it in via ethernet and start a topic in the Networking forum with the outputs of the commands requested in the sticky at the top there.

Offline maxy2

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 12:29:59 pm »
Many thanks to both contributors for your help. One final question. On the live PM 7 OS it shows drive 'D'  (my HDD data drive) to be not readable/unmounted. If I install PM7 will this become readable and also will data become swapable between  PM7 on the  SSD and  the HDD?

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 12:42:30 pm »
You should be able to mount it by clicking on it. Once installed you can also make it automatically mount when you boot up. You can save/load data there to your heart's content from Peppermint.

It might be worth trying Peppermint 9 to see if the newer kernel makes your wifi work.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 02:50:42 pm »
In the PM7 live session, what happens if you open the file manager and click on your "D" drive in the left hand pane ?

If it says it cannot be mounted .. boot back into Windows and run a disk check on that drive.

Once complete, boot back to the LiveUSB and check again.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec