Choose style:

Author Topic: CREATING CUSTOM KEYBOARD LAYOUTS: advice sought  (Read 433 times)

inventiv.us

CREATING CUSTOM KEYBOARD LAYOUTS: advice sought
« on: January 25, 2019, 06:37:17 pm »
Edit:  install is solved. but I'm still seeking advice on migration between platforms, if anyone knows about that.

I would like to create a custom keyboard layout, or two.   I think there is nothing in the OS to do that - however, I have been recommended this great tool  https://www.jwz.org/xkeycaps/ which is a front-end for xmodmap

If anyone has advice to offer, that might make the process of creating an entirely new keyboard layout, it would be appreciated. 

1, I did download that file - where should I place it?   (if I try to simply place the extracted sub-directory in file-system I get an error message saying I don't have permission to place it there). 

2, I was thinking of modifying the Esperanto layout file (or saving as that filename), so that it is easier to integrate my keyboard layout into existing installers.  (although my layout has absolutely nothing to do with Esperantp - mine will be a European multi-language layout.  I'm thinking of substituting Esperanto because that one is for a language that was totally made up and didn't actually exist - so I'll offend no country with a  substitution)

3, I also want to replicate that layout for Windoze (7 and 10).  If anyone knows of a migration tool, please speak.  ; )

4, while we are on the topic, but separately from that, I'd also like to do something basic like just remap my left shift, capslock, and control keys on another computer - can the OS already do that?  (on an existing layout - independently of the new layout I'm creating)

Many thanks in advance. 

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 01:21:23 am by inventiv.us »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: CREATING CUSTOM KEYBOARD LAYOUTS: advice sought
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 04:57:25 pm »
I can tell you how to install that xkeycaps application (but not how to use it).

Create a folder on your desktop called xkeycaps
download the "xkeycaps-2.46.tar.Z" file from your link and place it in the folder you just created

Now to install, open a terminal and run:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install build-essential xutils-dev libxaw7-dev
then
cd ~/Desktop/xkeycaps
then
tar xvf xkeycaps-2.46.tar.Z
then
cd ~/Desktop/xkeycaps/xkeycaps-2.46
then
xmkmf
then
make
then
sudo make install
then
sudo make install.man
now to run it, run:
xkeycaps
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 07:58:30 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

inventiv.us

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 08:43:19 pm »
It's already downloaded and extracted into it's subdirectory.
But I don't want it on the desktop.
I would like to place it in an appropriate location, along with other programs.
I suppose I have to log in as root to do that.  And which of the system sub-directories is designed/appropriate to hold this sub-directory?   
thanks
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 08:45:32 pm by inventiv.us »

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 08:44:49 pm »
It should install to the right place anyway. That's just a working directory to compile it.

inventiv.us

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 09:19:54 pm »
Re: my previous question not seen, I copied it into downloads.  Ran the commands there.

Thanks @pcnetspec!  Couldn't have done this without you.   *thumbs up*

If it's ok with you guys, I'd still like to leave this up, in case anyone has any insignt on migrating the final result to windoze.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 01:43:42 am by inventiv.us »