Choose style:

Author Topic: Replace Windows 10 on their computer with Peppermint OS 9 Respin Linux distro  (Read 632 times)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Visiting family for Christmas? Replace Windows 10 on their computer with Peppermint OS 9 Respin Linux distro

By Brian Fagioli (BetaNews - Published 2 days ago

LINK (249 comments and growing): https://goo.gl/TQCjkW   ;D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Great article, daft comments .. specially the guy who obviously 'skimmed' the release announcement then opened his gob before engaging his brain, he now seems to think we've randomly changed the MAIN MENU categories (as opposed to fixing ICE), and that people will unexpectedly have VLC changed to Xplayer VIA AN UPDATE to existing systems

Unless your planning on doing all their upgrades and updates this advise would go badly for them. The only Linux based OS that's user friendly and easy for any level of technical comprehend is Chrome OS. I mean just look at this distros change log. They casually replaced VLC because some users stated it was "acting flaky". So your grandpa took the time and got accustomed to using vlc and now after update this new crap starts up. Add to that if he can find the program to start with since now the menu he used "Sound & Video" is called Multimedia. It won't end well.

Dumba** ::)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 08:46:58 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
I was glad to see the article posted on LinkedIn.

Going by the numbers (4th Quarter 2018) LI has 590,000,000 users in 200 countries.

Never hurts to have the Peppermint name in the headlines - that's all most ppl look at...  ;)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Daft comments indeed. There are a lot of people who claim Windows has no issues and Linux does. Then there are a few who say the opposite. (mostly due to updates in both cases) I run both on my desktop, in fact I'm running Windows 10 right now. I have no major issues with either Win10 or Peppermint 9. Windows installed some updates a while ago and the world didn't stop turning. Peppermint runs updates regularly too, no issues there. So, it's true that neither is better than the other, which you prefer is simply a matter of preferences. I'd love to run Peppermint only, but Linux doesn't meet all of my software needs and WINE is a giant pain. I've always found dual booting is better fit for me than running one or the other.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
If dual booting suits your needs .. dual boot.

It's (partially) why GRUB exists :)

I hate Windows and haven't used it for some time now (specially 10, as my 'personal' experience with breakage has been totally at odds with yours) .. but it'd be stupid of me to assume that would suit and/or apply to everyone, and every hardware setup.

Use whatever suits you, whenever it suits you .. The Linux 'community' and 'philosophy' can be a way of life, but the OS at the end of the day is just a tool ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Yeah, I don't get why people seem to think it's one or the other. ::)

Offline drakken

• nOOb
  • I have found my new #!. And this is better.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9_x64
Old on the line here with this one, but I am still booting PopOS and Pep9.. I really want to get rid of Pop.. So going to sort a few things out. 8)

V/R
drakken :D
Thinkpad T430 (Pep 9), Thinkpad x220 (Pep9)
Home built AMD FX-6300-32GB ram- Nvidia GTX 750. Tri-monitor- Pep-9-64bit

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Just out of interest, what don't you like about PopOS ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec