Choose style:

Author Topic: Questions concerning a new SSD installation  (Read 593 times)

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9 (64bit), P 9 R
Questions concerning a new SSD installation
« on: January 18, 2019, 02:23:43 pm »
Hello Peppermint people. I know you guys are ssd experts, so I figured here would be the best place to ask some basic questions. I just purchased a new 250gb ssd and not knowing anything about UEFI or GPT formating, I am uncertain about a couple of things. First, I know to create the first partition, sda1, of about 300mb and flag it for EFI boot. Then the next partition, sda2, would be the / partition to install Peppermint in, about 30gb. The next partition, sda3, will be my DATA partition, the rest of the disc less 10% of free space per everybody's recommendations with an ssd. Am I okay so far or maybe I should create an eight gb swap partition ? I wasn't going to create a swap partition because 18.04 distros don't use it. Now when I go to install, do I select sda1 or sda for the boot loader destination? This should cover me for now. In the future I may need to know more about installing numerous linux distros and how to configure the boot loader. Any and all guidance will be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.  :)
What was I thinking?

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
Re: Questions concerning a new SSD installation
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 06:12:53 pm »
You're right; Peppermint 9 doesn't need a swap partition by default, it uses a swap file. Leave enough extra space on your / partition for swap.

I don't think you can install grub to sda on a GPT drive. Choose sda1, your EFI boot partition.

Alternatively, let the installer do all this automatically for you and then use GParted to shrink the / partition, then create your data partition in the space left.

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 11:39:02 am »
Thanks murraymint, I was thinking about doing it that way, but I was still unsure If I would first need to create the boot partition and leave the rest of the disc unformatted or create the rest as an ext4 partition. So many options.  :-\
What was I thinking?

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 11:54:34 am »
No, the installer will be able to wipe the whole disk, create the partition table and the necessary partitions for you (apart from DATA of course).

Offline Mynaardt

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 01:48:43 am »
The installer should do the whole thing for you.  I put an SSD in a notebook I've got and the installer did the the whole works for me pretty as you please.

No need to do anything special, really.  Just so long as you can boot up with the ISO (CD, DVD or USB stick), you should be fine...
~*~  Mynaardt  ~*~
(Victoria, BC, Canada)
Peppermint OS is your computer's friend,
Always Trust Peppermint OS!

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 08:10:29 pm »
Cool, In a week or two, I'll be looking for help with adding a second os to the boot loader or maybe not.  :)
What was I thinking?

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 12:01:20 pm »
Okay, I would definitely recommend creating partition tables before installing because after I let the installer do the partitioning and then later booted up into a live session to change partitions, when I booted up again, I got a black screen with a blinking light and nothing more. I had to reinstall. Everything is good now. So how do i configure bootloader for another linux distribution into one of the partitions I made? I do want to keep peppermint as first on the list.  :)
What was I thinking?

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 12:43:25 pm »
Sometimes if you alter a partition it will affect booting. It's maybe better to reinstall grub if you do that, either to be on the safe side or to fix it when it goes wrong.

When you install the next distro, tell it to put grub on its own partition. Then just boot into Peppermint and update grub.

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 05:03:30 pm »
Sometimes if you alter a partition it will affect booting. It's maybe better to reinstall grub if you do that, either to be on the safe side or to fix it when it goes wrong.

When you install the next distro, tell it to put grub on its own partition. Then just boot into Peppermint and update grub.

I wish I would have thought to reinstall grub, would have saved me from having to add all my software etc. I was under the impresson that with a UEFI boot, running update-grub wouldn't work. I'll try it. Thanks murraymint.  :)
What was I thinking?

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 06:01:56 pm »
I think it will. I don't normally use UEFI machines but hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 12:41:28 am »
Disclaimer: I don't dual boot! My three systems are on three different machines...
A long time ago, I did attempt to dual boot Peppermint and Void under EFI, but don't remember how it was working 'cause I quickly thought it was a better idea to have seperate machines. The largest SSD I have is 128GB, I don't need more to be honest. My current set-ups use just a fraction of it... Peppermint - 22GB (here is where I have my documents, family picture, some videos, etc... all with a back-up on an external drive of course  ;) ; Void - 6GB (here I have a virtual machine where I test other distros, not that often, though) and NetBSD - 2.6GB (I'm trying to see how small I can actually go  :-\ ).

Well, like murraymint is saying... I think it will work. But, hope someone else can confirm it.

So why am I posting this?!
Actually, because I had this bookmarked, https://medium.com/@manujarvinen/setting-up-a-multi-boot-of-5-linux-distributions-ca1fcf8d502 and thought it could be useful to you... unless, it was you that wrote it  :D

I've also came across this rEFInd set of themes that have Peppermint in it, https://github.com/AliciaTransmuted  ;)

Just some thoughts that you might like!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 04:19:36 am by pin »
Just say NO to flatpak and snap!!