Author Topic: File-Open doesn't show thumbnails  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: File-Open doesn't show thumbnails, doesn't sort directories before files.
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 12:43:14 pm »
However, if your statement about many here still living in the 20th century refers to many people still being on film cameras, and not yet owning a smartphone, I would disagree.
Hi inventiv.us,

No, my statement was not about that.

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
Re: File-Open doesn't show thumbnails
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 12:48:28 pm »
Um no, in the generally accepted nomenclature of things, those are called icons, in such a case.

Look at the screenshot I posted and you will see they are thumbnails admittedly too small to be of much use for the purpose you want but thumbnails nonetheless, I'm sure you know the difference between an icon and a thumbnail
Is there a way to replace that with one that is more in with the 21st century?

That's the type of comment that will get you nowhere on this forum or any other I suspect, we don't have a problem with criticism but all we ask is you keep it constructive and respectful, that was nasty and snide and uncalled for

The ironic thing from my standpoint is I think you have a point and raised something we could look into, I've even went as far as installing Cinnamon DE and it's no different and I've installed  KDE-Neon in a VM and it's no different either

Anyway thank you for raising the issue

Graeme

If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

inventiv.us

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 01:24:41 pm »
that was nasty and snide and uncalled for
Wow!  Just wow!  The anger and aggressiveness in your interpretation.   My mind is blown.  You certainly know how to escalate things at mach-3 speed.  But I'm not going to bite.

KDE gives you thumbnails. I've seen screenshots from end-users.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 01:27:24 pm by inventiv.us »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: File-Open doesn't show thumbnails [SOLVED]
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 02:42:57 pm »
Okay people calm down and play nice .. if you can't do this, either stop posting in this topic or leave.

The dialog is gtkfilechooser, so is part of Gtk3 (the one called by Gtk2 apps is even more basic) .. Cinnamon/Mate/Xfce/LXDE/Gnome/Pantheon will have the exact same dialog(s) because they are Gtk DE's too .. as I understand it, it would be possible for a Qt application to have a different filechooser window because it'll be getting it from some Qt library, but not Firefox which AFAIK is Gtk.

Peppermint is intended as a lightweight distro (lightweight, not ultralight), we're not here to include every feature under the sun, nor could we even if we wanted to (we don't author the Gtk libraries) .. KDE **may** have what you're looking for, but then you'd be better off with Kubuntu than Peppermint.

Beyond that, if you want to request this feature in Gtk, you'll need to ask the Gnome foundation.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 02:50:19 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

inventiv.us

Re: File-Open doesn't show thumbnails [SOLVED]
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2019, 11:51:29 am »
Update:  the user on FB who told me that KDE can do this was wrong.  He posted screenshots, where only the first app he had originally shown, did this (the Vivaldi browser).  Other apps he showed me did not - and as pcnetspec pointed out, some showed just one preview, others no preview.  And it seems that Cinnamon is no different. 

I found that gThumb and the Vivaldi browser do show them.
This can make for an acceptable system, if I substitute image viewer and browser with those.

I haven't checked out Office yet.  I'm hoping that one of the Office variants (open/libre) will let me find a picture through a thumbnail grid, when I want to insert an image into a Writer document.

Would it be very difficult to swap out gtkfilechooser from the end-user side of things?  Or would a ton of links/program changes have to be done in the OS at large on the backend?  I suppose probably.
(Some distros allow to choose a different DE - either upon install, or even in the intalled version.  I don't want to change the DE, but I was thinking that if you can easily change the DE, maybe you can change the file-open-dialog too?)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2019, 01:06:49 pm »
gtkfilechooser is an integral part of the Gtk framework, swapping it out would be nigh on impossible.

Hacking/forking it would no doubt be possible but we're not going to do it .. it would mean maintaining/hosting/supporting a fork of libgtk* which is WAY too big of a job for our small team I'm afraid.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec