Author Topic: File-Open doesn't show thumbnails  (Read 1901 times)

inventiv.us

File-Open doesn't show thumbnails
« on: January 17, 2019, 06:53:15 pm »
Is there a way to get THUMBNAILS on FILE-OPEN dialog?

Edit: And also to show all sub-directories before the files list? found this one: you right click in the list from the file-open dialog, which will give you a checkbox to show folders before files.

For example, if I'm in an app, say firefox, and I want to upload an image:
we only get list of files (and directories mixed in), and one image preview of one file, to the right.

Now try to find that one photo, in a directory containing hundreds of files.

With some programs, such as Pixlr, you don't even get the one image preview (which may explain why some graphics programs will build their own library of thumbnails)

Is there a setting somewhere, to see thumbnails instead of a list?   Or is this a limitation of xfce? 

(I've found the settings for nemo, but that is not what I'm refering to.) 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 11:58:16 am by inventiv.us »

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
Re: Is there a way to get THUMBNAILS on FILE-OPEN dialog?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 10:10:47 pm »
Hi Inventiv.us

Assuming I understand your question I'm not sure if there's any way to do what you're asking, the file upload window does display thumbnails on the extreme left alongside the file name although it's very small and I don't know of any way to increase it's size, but you don't need to open another application to view the images simply highlighting will display a larger thumbnail on the right hand pane as in the screenshot below

Good luck

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

inventiv.us

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 01:48:20 am »
the file upload window does display thumbnails on the extreme left alongside the file name

No, as you can see on your printscreen, it does not display thumbnailS
It displays only one thumbnail.  Just one at a time.

Try finding a file when you have hundreds of files in a directory.   It is unusable.

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to have THUMBNAILS instead of list, on FILE-OPEN dialog?
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 02:09:03 am »
Yeah ok I understand what you're saying, although I maybe wrong but I don't think what you want is possible in xfce in fact I don't think it's possible in any window manager I know of  with the possible exception of KDE, I don't think this is even possible in Windows but like I said I could be wrong

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

inventiv.us

Re: Is there a way to have THUMBNAILS instead of list, on FILE-OPEN dialog?
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 11:50:28 am »
Yeah ok I understand what you're saying, although I maybe wrong but I don't think what you want is possible in xfce in fact I don't think it's possible in any window manager I know of  with the possible exception of KDE, I don't think this is even possible in Windows but like I said I could be wrong
Graeme

Graeme, this has been a standard feature of Windoze for decades now.  Mac does it too.  Android does it. 

I believe I recall that Mint Cinnamon did this, but Mate did not.  But it's been a few years since I've tried it so I could be wrong.

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
I have Windows 7 in a VM and just checked and it seems you're right it does display icons and I stand corrected,  :-[

I've never used a mac and have no intentions of ever doing so, and only use Android for phone calls, text messages and the odd photo

So I don't really know what to suggest to you, maybe one of the smarter guys around here will have a solution for you

Good luck

Graeme

inventiv.us

OK, here's a question:
what is the sub-component that is responsible for the file-open dialog box and it's features?
Is there a way to replace that with one that is more in with the 21st century?

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit

Hi inventiv.us,I think that is a rather harsh and subjective statement, especially seeing that you are the first person I have seen in the forum to ask about this. I guess we must have a lot of 20th century users here.   :)

If you need this feature quickly, you can try installing Cinnamon. But perhaps there is a way to change the current sub-component to achieve your desired behavior. Good luck.

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 06:21:06 am »

No, as you can see on your printscreen, it does not display thumbnailS

Technically speaking those are thumbnails next to each filename. It's just that thumbs come in varying sizes.

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
I  might be putting my head on the block here and making myself sound stupid, but I think it unlikely Cinnamon would work that way as it runs Nemo as it's file manager the same as Peppermint does

Or am I missing something ?

Graeme

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Re: File-Open doesn't show thumbnails, doesn't sort directories before files.
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 07:57:31 am »
I know what you are talking about, I usually know ahead of time what I am planning on uploading and I copy that file to a subfolder of my Pictures directory which enables me to find it rapidly by opening that folder while in the upload menu. And if it's a spur of the moment, well I still know where the photo is, usually, whithin the many subfolders of my Pictures and I can find it and copy it to Uploads folder and away I go. I haven't used Windows in so many years now that I don't "miss" their capabilities.
What was I thinking?

inventiv.us

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 12:02:17 pm »
Technically speaking those are thumbnails next to each filename. It's just that thumbs come in varying sizes.

Um no, in the generally accepted nomenclature of things, those are called icons, in such a case.
The content of your reply shows that you are just arguing despite knowing exactly what is being referred to.  Why?

And if they're "thumbs", but don't come in varying sizes, but thumbnails "come in varying sizes", isn't that a contradiction in the same sentence?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 01:30:42 pm by inventiv.us »

inventiv.us

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 12:06:07 pm »
but I think it unlikely Cinnamon would work that way as it runs Nemo as it's file manager the same as Peppermint does
Or am I missing something ?

I'm no expert (as you can see by my proud "noob" badge), but I don't think it calls upon Nemo to do that.
I think it's a sub-component by a different name. 
And I'm wondering if we can replace that.
I think I may have been wrong about Cinnamon - last time I used it was it's version 17 a couple of years ago, and I thought I remembered that someone told me Mate didn't do it but Cinnamon would.  But my recollection could be wrong.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 12:07:58 pm by inventiv.us »

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2019, 12:10:52 pm »

Um no, in the generally accepted nomenclature of things, those are called icons, in such a case.
The content of your reply shows that you are just arguing despite knowing exactly what is being referred to.  Why?

I think you're wrong. An icon is representative of a particular type of file, not a small rendering of the actual content of that file.

But I'm more interested in your psychic abilities. Tell me more...  ::)

inventiv.us

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 12:24:54 pm »

Hi inventiv.us,I think that is a rather harsh and subjective statement, especially seeing that you are the first person I have seen in the forum to ask about this. I guess we must have a lot of 20th century users here.   :)

That was a valiant effort at trying to appear offended (or trying to make my comment sound offensive?).

In the 20th century, you had an excuse: film cameras were still around. 
By the 21st century, it was pretty much all digital cameras and smartphones.  Meaning loads of pictures named something like DC0004492774.jpg and you'd have hundreds of them, because there no longer is a cost to developing photos.  Add to that downloaded images not renamed, etc.
And there is social media, forums, websites to host your content, which are all far more prevalent.  But things have been so for more than the last decade (which goes back longer than the inception of some of these OSes when you come to think of it).   
So I feel that this feature is more than pertinent - and I am surprised that it remains overlooked (even more so if intentionally neglected).

However, if your statement about many here still living in the 20th century refers to many people still being on film cameras, and not yet owning a smartphone, I would disagree. I think that by now, those who don't use some form of digital camera and are still on film would be an infinitesimally-small minority.  By your logic, one could stand to wonder if the developers of Xfce own smartphones yet.
How can they not get it?

PS: a quick search yielded 27 topics talking about thumbnails in various situations. 
Surely they serve a purpose and are deemed an important element.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 01:33:18 pm by inventiv.us »