Choose style:

Author Topic: No screenlock on lid close if app F11> fullscreen ; No login when open lid  (Read 333 times)

inventiv.us

I have just discovered that if I had pressed F11 so as to maximize the window fullscreen and to hide the titlebar and address bar, the screen doesn't lock when I close the lid of my laptop.   (in this case it was Firefox).
Is there a setting somewhere I should be checking?  (so that screen lock works in this situation as well)

Edit:
Additionally, when re-open lid, laptop should "awaken" from suspend and present password prompt.
It briefly flickers once, and stays blank.  I have found no keys I can press to revive.  Half-press on power prompts shutdown.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 07:33:48 am by inventiv.us »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Screenlock does not engage on lid close if window is fullscreen (F11)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 06:14:26 pm »
Thanks  for this, I'll see if I can come up with a fix (maybe for PM10).
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

inventiv.us

Re: Screenlock does not engage on lid close if window is fullscreen (F11)
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 04:49:14 pm »
Now I'm having a new problem since a few days.
(Note: this is not relating to an app maximized with F11 - I avoid doing that now).

When I open lid, the password prompt doesn't appear.  Screen remains black.
 I've tried pressing different keys, trackpad, ctrl+alt+del, in attemps to "wake" it up. Still haven't found the trick.
If I half-press power (sleep), it shuts down (now, I can find the settings for that, no problem - just saying, that doesn't give me password prompt either - but it does give me the message that it's shutting down).

More info:  While posting this, in LX Session Configuration, under Lock Screen Manager, I see "lxlock"
I had installed lightlocker, but it was disabled, so should not have been involved in this. (when I get back, I'll enable it, to see if that helps)

( Wow! that's big!  Can these be scaled, shown side-by-side? )
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 03:00:01 am by inventiv.us »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: No screenlock on lid close if app F11> fullscreen ; No login when open lid
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 05:18:35 am »
Yes, try
Code: [Select]
[img width=320]https://i.imgur.com/M8q4VNU.png[/img] [img width=320]https://i.imgur.com/KrJshp3.png[/img]
which will look like

but the images will still be clickable to see them at their 'proper' size (click to enlarge).

I'd need to look through the i3lock code, but fullscreen apps are often set to override screensavers, etc. .. maybe the same override is affecting the screenlock.

Maybe try swapping out xfce4-power-manager for the mate-power-manager
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,7244.msg74105.html#msg74105
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

inventiv.us

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 05:30:44 pm »
Yes, try
[img width=320]https://i.imgur.com/M8q4VNU.png[/img] [img width=320]https://i.imgur.com/KrJshp3.png[/img]
I'd need to look through the i3lock code, but fullscreen apps are often set to override screensavers, etc. .. maybe the same override is affecting the screenlock.

Maybe try swapping out xfce4-power-manager for the mate-power-manager
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,7244.msg74105.html#msg74105

Thanks.  How did you get it to scale like that?  I don't see it in the code.  (see mine versus yours)

Update: after a system update, I get a password prompt, but the screen goes black again after that.  exactly same behavior where nothing "wakes it up" again.  Only half-press power and it shuts down (just as before).

Karma -2, really?  I see that posts assisting others count for zero.  Charming.  :p

Add:  I tried the other one.  No change. 

« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 09:49:35 pm by inventivus »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 09:32:44 am »
when you add the IMG tags by using the button in the editor, it'll just do something like
[img]https://i.imgur.com/M8q4VNU.png[/img]
but if the image is larger than the max allowable width/height for the forum (640x640px), when you post the image it'll automatically get changed to something like
[img width=640 height=512]https://i.imgur.com/M8q4VNU.png[/img]
to fit within the forums max allowed width/height.

Be aware, you don't really need the "height=nnn" part, just manually specifying the "width=nnn" will retain the aspect ratio .. so you just need to manually specify the width, as in
[img width=320]https://i.imgur.com/M8q4VNU.png[/img]
What you appear to have done is changed "width=320", but left "height=512" in place, so you changed the aspect ratio .. as in:
[img width=320 height=512]https://i.imgur.com/M8q4VNU.png[/img]
if you halved the width you'd also need to halve the height .. or simply leaving out the height (or width) will retain the correct aspect ratio.

Maybe you should consider it's this kind of posting...

Karma -2, really?  I see that posts assisting others count for zero.  Charming.  :p

along with past responses that's earning you little good karma around here ;)

I've generally found people on this forum extremely friendly if treated with a little respect. I've reset your karma to zero, let's all start afresh eh :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 10:45:25 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

inventiv.us

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 10:07:36 pm »
Maybe you should consider it's this kind of posting...

along with past responses that's earning you little good karma around here ;)

I've generally found people on this forum extremely friendly if treated with a little respect. I've reset your karma to zero, let's all start afresh eh :)

Everyone has their breaking point. 
I've patiently answered that question several times. 
I go to lengths trying to be concise and to the point, so there is enough information, but no extra junk that only makes things longer.
Not only does the thread become 4 times longer than it should be, but also, I felt that you, as a developer, were not being respected, with that same question being asked one more time.   
I had composed, edited, my response several before posting, trying to find a non-offensive way to say "hey, read before you ask the same thing that's been asked and answered many times already". 
Your statement essentially says, that it's OK for you to be offended, it's ok for the other member contact you in PM because their feathers were ruffled, it's ok for you to get all sensitive about it an demote me, but I have no right to have felt it was the last straw.  If you can take position that my words hurt someone's feelings, then there has to be reciprocity:  my reaction also has legitimacy.
What's more, the intention behind it, was wanting to look out for you and being respective of your time.
He could have stumbled the Q+A on that with a simple shot-in-the-dark anywhere in the thread; that was really a disrespect for your time (my biggest concern) and that of the other participants.  And I wasn't trying to be mean, just factual, unemotional.
When a thread gets bloated to multiples the size it should be, it servers no one  - neither does going around in circles asking and answering the exact same question over and over again.
I'm fed up with these overly-sensitive attitudes, everyone having this over-the-top formal protocol they are all following, as if we're all ministers of state for our respective countries  ... and where members are made to feel like they're walking on eggshells all the time.
I don't know how to delete my account, but I'm pissed off beyond repair.  But I clearly don't fit in to this congested atmosphere. 
So if you can please do that for me, much appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 10:18:05 pm by inventivus »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 05:57:04 am »
To me it's a simple case of good manners and showing respect for those trying to help you.

You turned up asking for help, and when people attempted to give you that help you went off on one because they had questions. Do you think the regular helpers here just decided to make your life awkward, or do you think just maybe they didn't understand what you meant so asked for clarification in an attempt to help you ?

I'm also a little baffled how you managed to spin my upgrading a MINUS two karma (given to you by others) back to a zero karma as a 'demotion' .. you do get how negative numbers work right ?

I stuck up for you and asked everyone (yourself included) to calm down but you continued to take little digs at everyone at every opportunity, culminating in your snipe about others having given you a -2 karma, and when I attempted to explain why that may have happened and AGAIN ask "all" to "start afresh" you AGAIN decided the best response was attack .. It's a pity it came to this, but I'll action your request.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 07:58:59 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec