Choose style:

Author Topic: Greetings fellow Peppermints!  (Read 292 times)

Offline han

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9x64
Greetings fellow Peppermints!
« on: January 14, 2019, 06:40:59 am »
Greetings fellow Peppermint members, I was testing the waters trying to compile a kernel of my own (all drivers/modules are default settings), I got the menuconfig from current kernel, 2 hours after the mark I hit menuconfig, I started to wonder isit really going to take so long? It raised my attention when it prolonged to 4 hours which is about 10 minutes ago, would it be as a result of my old junk? I'm running on a HP Compaq Presario CQ40 with 2GHz Intel Dual Core P7350 & 3GB Ram 230GB HDD. It's 11 years old though and I have reinstalled the OS for 8th time within 3 days timeframe due to technical issues, freeze screens, filesystem breakdown and I have noticed something that .. I'm only 2 weeks prior switching from Windows to Linux so I'm right up from the scratch. Anyway, to cut the story short, would this be of any norm?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hv773tmogodewph/Screenshot_2019-01-14_19-00-45.png?dl=0

On the other hand, Peppermint is my favourite distro of the other 16s I've tried! I just need some advise on my wl PCI as it is the infamous B43 aka bcmwl and it gave me really hard time. Thanks, have a good day & cheers!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 06:43:47 am by han »

inventiv.us

Re: Greetings fellow Peppermints!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 04:33:36 pm »
Perhaps try your luck with a more descriptive title... ?

(and this may be better in the more advanced sub-section - not the noobs section, I am thinking)

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 04:57:14 pm »
Greetings Han & welcome aboard the good ship Peppermint & Linux in general , good to hear you chose Peppermint above the other 16 candidates

As inventiv.us suggests it might be a good idea to put your queries in the help sections such as the kernel question in Installation & the Broadcom question in Hardware

Good luck

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 01:18:33 am »
Hi there,
As suggested above, it would be good to break this into two different topics!

The broadcom issue, is most probably a driver issue.  ;)

As for compiling the kernel...
Last time I did it, think it was one of the rc's of 4.16 series  :-\ ...
...It took 1h45min on an i5 quadcore, 12GB RAM, 128GB SSD, so yes... it's possible its taking that long.
But, if you're keeping everything default, why are you compiling it yourself?! There are other options, depending on which kernel you would like to have and which version of Peppermint you are using. I understand if you're doing it as a learning experience, but...

Anyway, two threads would be better and please include a bit more info.
Regards
Just say NO to flatpak and snap!!