Choose style:

Author Topic: NEW USER BUT STRUGGLING ON A SIMPLE TASK I HOPE!!!!  (Read 187 times)

Offline pds1968

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
NEW USER BUT STRUGGLING ON A SIMPLE TASK I HOPE!!!!
« on: January 12, 2019, 01:11:52 pm »
Hello

I wanted to build a simple Linux operating system so that I can test out Linux and learn from it. However, I'm struggling to do a couple tasks which I'm sure are pretty simple!

1) I'm wanting to permanently mount my NAS drive. I can see the drive and I can mount it but if I reboot the PC the mount has gone.

2) I want a simple back up system which I can back up my files on Peppermint to the NAS drive.

Any help and assistance will be gratefully received

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: NEW USER BUT STRUGGLING ON A SIMPLE TASK I HOPE!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 01:38:25 pm »
mount the NAS, then post the output from:
Code: [Select]
mount

Also, does your NAS support NFS ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 01:47:25 pm »
Hi PDS

Welcome to the forum

1) I'm wanting to permanently mount my NAS drive. I can see the drive and I can mount it but if I reboot the PC the mount has gone.

If you want your NAS to be permanantly mounted you will have to add it to you /etc/fstab file
Here's an example from a line in my /etc/fstab which mounts a directory "videos" on my NAS
//192.168.0.50/videos                      /mnt/NAS/videos       cifs  password=,uid=1000 

You might also find some usefull info here
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/178187/how-to-edit-etc-fstab-properly-for-network-drive
and here
https://linoxide.com/file-system/understanding-each-entry-of-linux-fstab-etcfstab-file/

2) I want a simple back up system which I can back up my files on Peppermint to the NAS drive.

rsync would be my suggestion it's a command line tool but quite easy to use and understand, there are gui frontends available such a luckybackup but  personally I prefer the cli version

Here's some useful information

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-rsync-to-sync-local-and-remote-directories-on-a-vps

Good luck

Graeme

If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

inventiv.us

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 03:44:02 pm »
NEW USER BUT STRUGGLING ON A SIMPLE TASK I HOPE!!!!

I like how the subject line sounds (ANGRY!!!!) but says absolutely nothing about the problem.  :D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 06:35:08 pm by inventiv.us »