Choose style:

Author Topic: Corrupted drive  (Read 190 times)

Offline toddgrim

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Corrupted drive
« on: January 11, 2019, 03:51:18 pm »
Okay, feel free to shake your head knowingly and think how stupid I just just was. . .

There, so, moments ago I went to create a bootable USB image to install Respin and, not paying enough attention, I started the process on my backup external HDD! I caught the error, but not soon enough! Now, instead of years of backups the drive just comes up as Peppermint with the folders for the iso. No sign of what used to be there. While I didn't loose much that is irreplaceable I would really like to get as much as possible back.

Before I do any more damage I could use some help and advice! I'm sure most of my old files are there but before I start trying to recover them (and make things worse?) I think it's best to get some advice from people who actually know what they are doing!

Thanx
todd

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Corrupted drive
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 06:28:47 pm »
How WAS the external drive formatted ?

With a  Linux file system, or a Windows one ? .. if a Windows one, I'd be tempted to use a Windows recovery app.

Also if there's stuff you cannot afford to loose .. it would probably be a good idea to make a sector by sector clone of the disk (as it currently is), then work on the clone.

Oh, and by the way .. anyone who laughs has either done it themselves already, or karma will catch up with one day ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline toddgrim

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Re: Corrupted drive
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 12:31:31 am »
PCNetSpec, thanks. Now that I think about it I got the drive before I took the Linux plunge, back in those ancient days of Vista! I'll look into Windows recovery.

t